Nitrous Discuss dry, wet, and direct port nitrous setups. How many shots can you handle?

Could this happen?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 10:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Could this happen?

Hey everybody. My wife is in the Navy and there is a guy with a nitrous system on his car. She herd that one day this guy was in the hospital because his nitrous system did not work right and blew jets of flames out of the vents, into the car, and burned him so bad that he needed to go to the hospital. This is the second person she has known who this has happened to. I don't think it would work this way. Can that even happen?
Old 10-11-2004, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by goin e-z
Hey everybody. My wife is in the Navy and there is a guy with a nitrous system on his car. She herd that one day this guy was in the hospital because his nitrous system did not work right and blew jets of flames out of the vents, into the car, and burned him so bad that he needed to go to the hospital. This is the second person she has known who this has happened to. I don't think it would work this way. Can that even happen?

A blown motor would not shoot fire in through the HVAC vents.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sounds pretty far fetched.

Although any safety feature can be disabled by a sufficiently trained fool.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:23 PM

sounds like somebody hid their fuel solenoid behind the radio by the fire-wall and neglected to fully tighten the fuel-line hose clamps, causing fuel to trickle on the solenoid wiring connection and burst into flame... burning through the AC vent that sits close to the fire-wall and melting the rest of the fuel-line.

but that's just my theory.... and anyway WHO SPRAYS NITROUS WITH THEIR A/C ON ANYWAY??? If the a/c is off then the vents will be blocked off with a shield anyway so no flame could enter unless it burns its way through
Old 10-14-2004, 10:29 AM
I still miss the max

besides nitrous is only flammable when mixed with fuel right?
Old 10-17-2004, 06:55 AM
You will lose

Originally Posted by CarbonDreams95
besides nitrous is only flammable when mixed with fuel right?
Right, and you also need a spark.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by TAPOUT
Right, and you also need a spark.
spark or compression... one of the two. Nitrous is an oxidizer so it will start burning what-ever it touches and since fuel atomizes when it comes out of the injector it just might catch on fire under certain circumstances... but I'm not sure about that one.

I have a new theory about he guy's flaming A/C vents. Sounds like he was running the stock Maxima Intake and a WET shot of nitrous. He must have bogged the engine while spraying, causing fuel-puddling in the intake runners. The instant one of the valves opened and found fuel sitting in the intake runner it ignited via nitrous back-fire and burned a hole through the runners right where they make their bend and burned through the fire-wall, bringing flame into the compartment?
Old 10-22-2004, 09:14 AM
You will lose

Yes, nitrous is an oxidizer, No nitrous will not start burning whatever it touches. If you spray nitrous on a potato, it will not be a "hot potato". nor will it be a baked potato, or even a fried potato. It will be a cold potato that has not caught fire. Nitrous adds more oxygen than regular air does, by percentage. It allows a fire that is already burning to burn hotter. Not to mention compression will not start N2O on fire either, otherwise the bottle would have exploded a long time ago. Do you not think the N2O is compressed in the bottle? Maybe even more so than in the cylinder? Do you even have nitrous? It sounds like you are an idiot, and should keep your mouth shut until you know something about what we are talking about .