Nitrous Discuss dry, wet, and direct port nitrous setups. How many shots can you handle?

Nitrous help.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:56 PM

Nitrous help.

I am new to the whole nitrous thing but was considering puting a 55 or 65 shot in my '91. What would be everything that i would need to safely run nitrous?

I was considering Zex wet or NX wet, which is better and why?

I am just trying to get pricing down so i know how much i need to save up to buy a kit and whatever else it will be that i need.

Thanks for you guys help.
Alex
Old 02-12-2007, 06:24 AM
absoundlab

research=.....

Old 02-12-2007, 10:49 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by Maximahappy22
I am new to the whole nitrous thing but was considering puting a 55 or 65 shot in my '91. What would be everything that i would need to safely run nitrous?

I was considering Zex wet or NX wet, which is better and why?

I am just trying to get pricing down so i know how much i need to save up to buy a kit and whatever else it will be that i need.

Thanks for you guys help.
Alex
Shoot for a NX wet kit.. Search on eBay under Car-Truck parts for NX, and you'll see quite a collection of stuff for sale. Since you're new to nitrous, go for a new single-stage EFI kit, with GenX2 heater and purge options. Lots of suppliers sell these..

This isn't cheap, but you don't have to mod your engine much - good exhaust is needed, and you'll need stickier tires. Pay very close attention to the company's instructions - including the part about not paying attention to your friends' suggestions.

Asking good questions here on the ORG will usually get good answers - if someone gives you bogus information, the "ORG smackdown" begins and knowlegable users will straighten out everyone........

Old 02-12-2007, 02:40 PM

i read the stickies on nitrous and i kinda got confused because some people said one thing, other people said another...

So i am asking for clarification about nitrous, do i really need gauges and what kind? what shot should i start with? will my old engine with 168,xxx miles hold up if i start using nitrous? what engine/fuel upgrades do i need to get with what shot? and any other suggestions you all have.

Also for the install i was thinking of a stealth install mounting the arm/disarm switch in the center armrest thing where you put pens and change, also trying to hide the solenoids or brain(zex). Is this doable and has anyone tried doing this kind of install?

Thanks for the help.
Alex
Old 02-12-2007, 03:59 PM
Turbo 3.5

Checkout my cardomain, My arming and bottle warmer switches are in the cupholder and the msd rpm switch is in the armrest.

as for your engine do not worry about mileage, just make sure your engine and injectors are in good shape with no leaks and a good tuneup, plugs, fuel filter etc. Remember nitrous does not kill your motor not knowing your motor does

if your only doing a 55-65 shot, just change your plugs if your not running copper already, stock fuel pump will be fine

if you go to a 75shot and beyond which you WILL get 1 step colder plugs and start looking into a better fuel pump

you may want to get a rpm switch incase you miss a shift while spraying and either a fuel psi cut-off switch or psi gauge and bottle warmer

and as for kits I have zex dry kit but now wish I had NX only reason is NX has a lifetime warranty on their solenoids and zex is 1year, but do not get me wrong 0 problems with zex and noids are pretty cheap

Also I do not know much about 3gens but I read your other post and check your knock sensor it kills performance big time

I ran 15.0 with a 55shot and bad k/s. Changed the k/s and ran a 14.5

Good luck and have fun
Old 02-12-2007, 04:33 PM

Thanks for the info.

I have decided to use the NX wet kit, with either the 35 or 50 shot, also i am going to get a rpm window too and set it to run between 3500 and 6000 rpms.

Hopefully this will shave a second off my 1/4 time with less wieght in the trunk

Thanks for comments, more are welcome!
Alex

P.S. what is the knock sensor (flame suit on!)
Old 02-12-2007, 05:33 PM
Turbo 3.5

it's excatly what the name says engine knock sensor, on a 4th gen it's right in the v of the motor. if it's bad it will retard your timing

Get the bottle warmer also it's a most have, you will not get the full effect of nitrous with low bottle psi which you will have in cool winter

I have my rpm switch set a 0 and 6400rpms right before the limiter

if you are only looking to drop 1sec then run the 50shot and leave your system in the trunk and pump your music down the 1/4
Old 02-12-2007, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by t6378tp
if you are only looking to drop 1sec then run the 50shot and leave your system in the trunk and pump your music down the 1/4
Hell i am looking to shave as much time as i can off my horrible ET i didnt know it would do more than a second...

I wouldnt mind hitting high 14's if not mid 14's hehehe

Damn i cant wait to get my nitrous...

Thanks for info once again!
Alex
Old 02-14-2007, 05:28 PM

I was reading the nitrous stickies and saw that some people were saying that wet nitrous isnt recomended for our maximas because of nitrous intake pooling, would this occur on my vg if i used a wet kit? Is this a problem? If so should i just use a Dry nitrous kit?

Alex
Old 02-15-2007, 05:29 AM
Turbo 3.5

yes you will have a great chance of nitrous backfire with any car that has long intake runners. I would not worry about it thou alot of people have wet kits on maximas wih no problems. what you should try to figure out is if you plan to run over a 75 or 100shot if so get a wet kit. also what are your plans for the car what kind of times your shooting for then start buying the parts that will get you there

for example if you just want low 14's this is what got me there
I am a auto
good tuneup/copper core plugs
y-pipe
stock intake, b-pipe and muffler
65shot of nitrous
bottle wamer
removed everything from the trunk sub's, spare and jack
drop mod
stock wheels and tires up front 205/65/15's
front tire psi at 18
=14.3's

this is my new setup should be good for 13.9's
82shot
high flow fram air filter
tranny cooler
1step colder plugs
wider tires 225/60/15's
Old 02-15-2007, 02:06 PM

I have my pref. towards ZEX because of the simplicity of the kit, especially for beginners. All of the solenoids are in a small, easy to hide bundle with less wiring and a lot less plumbing. I use a ZEX wet-shot on my VQ35 Altima and it's been good to me.

If you need any help man, just call me. My name is Gene, 253-227-1214. Or if you're ever in the area from Wed-Sun (typically after 3-9) you can stop by my workplace. It's N. Tacoma Grocery Outlet on 6th ave and we can chat.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by t6378tp
yes you will have a great chance of nitrous backfire with any car that has long intake runners. I would not worry about it thou alot of people have wet kits on maximas wih no problems. what you should try to figure out is if you plan to run over a 75 or 100shot if so get a wet kit. also what are your plans for the car what kind of times your shooting for then start buying the parts that will get you there
EDIT: I JUST READ JIME'S WRITE UP AND NX KIT ATOMIZES THE FUEL AND NITROUS SO NO PUDDLING CAN OCCUR! I AM GETTING THE NX WET!

I just want to hit low 15's or high 14's and maybe later down the road go larger when i get more money.

I was just looking for the basic setup: NX wet/ZEX dry + window switch + bottle warmer.

That was my desired setup untill later down the road when i could safely run and monitor my nitrous at higher shots.

Originally Posted by 2002AltimateV6
I have my pref. towards ZEX because of the simplicity of the kit, especially for beginners. All of the solenoids are in a small, easy to hide bundle with less wiring and a lot less plumbing. I use a ZEX wet-shot on my VQ35 Altima and it's been good to me.

If you need any help man, just call me. My name is Gene, 253-227-1214. Or if you're ever in the area from Wed-Sun (typically after 3-9) you can stop by my workplace. It's N. Tacoma Grocery Outlet on 6th ave and we can chat.
Well i do like the simplicity of the ZEX kits but i have read some mixed reviews from other orger's. If i decide to go with the dry nitrous, then i would obviously go with ZEX because it is the only dry kit.

But deffinatly if i need any help ill give ya a ring, i dont get down to tacoma much but maybe you could help me install my nitrous once i get it if you were looking for something to do. Ill let you know when i get my nitrous.

Thanks.
Alex