Nitrous Discuss dry, wet, and direct port nitrous setups. How many shots can you handle?

Progressive conrollers

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 11:04 PM
Turbo 3.5

FYI, my controller has 2 ground 1st one is for the unit it's self and the 2nd is for the soleniods. well I had the ground for the soleniod connected to a spot on the frame that I sanded and this was fine for a simple window switch program and single niod dry kit but it's not enough for pulsing wet kit with 2 soleniods big enough to handle a 250shot.

So I had to reground the soleniod ground directly to the battery due to the high current loads of the new setup. like I said this is just a fyi if you have smaller niods this may not be a issue and a frame ground should be fine
Old 08-18-2008, 05:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by t6378tp
FYI, my controller has 2 ground 1st one is for the unit it's self and the 2nd is for the soleniods. well I had the ground for the soleniod connected to a spot on the frame that I sanded and this was fine for a simple window switch program and single niod dry kit but it's not enough for pulsing wet kit with 2 soleniods big enough to handle a 250shot.

So I had to reground the soleniod ground directly to the battery due to the high current loads of the new setup. like I said this is just a fyi if you have smaller niods this may not be a issue and a frame ground should be fine
So is there any news on how you are making out with this setup?

I am asking because I ordered the FJO Mini unit today. I did have the Maximizer but sold it a year ago or so, should have kept it but was planning on staying N/A.

After trying a 50 shot last week and losing a bit of traction I realized the only way I was going to run a 200 shot effectively was to get another progressive controller. I did run an 11.8 on the 50 shot but I need to come out of the hole with a little less and ramp to around a 100 in 1st then activate 2nd stage after the 1-2 shift and ramp quickly to 200 and hold on. The FJO Mini controller is not quite as good as the maximizer but it will do the job and handle 2 stages.

I can really get excited breathing this stuff.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:54 PM

WOW, sounds like some fun is yet to come!
Old 08-18-2008, 09:03 PM
Turbo 3.5

Originally Posted by Jime
So is there any news on how you are making out with this setup?

I am asking because I ordered the FJO Mini unit today. I did have the Maximizer but sold it a year ago or so, should have kept it but was planning on staying N/A.

After trying a 50 shot last week and losing a bit of traction I realized the only way I was going to run a 200 shot effectively was to get another progressive controller. I did run an 11.8 on the 50 shot but I need to come out of the hole with a little less and ramp to around a 100 in 1st then activate 2nd stage after the 1-2 shift and ramp quickly to 200 and hold on. The FJO Mini controller is not quite as good as the maximizer but it will do the job and handle 2 stages.

I can really get excited breathing this stuff.
it took alittle while to setup but it works great now and I have it on both my car and truck. I like the fact the ramp can be tailored to track conditions and traction

One of the problems I had was with the ground for the fjo controller, it has 2 grounds as you will find out soon, the 1st ground wire which is small is for the controller itself the 2nd thicker ground wire is for the soleniods and I had to ground this directly to the battery since it needs to handle up to 4 of them I did not have this problem before cause the msd window was a simple on/off switch that I used to activate a relay but you can not do this with the fjo cause a relay simple can not turn on and off fast enough to keep up with the pulses.

the 2nd problem I had was something I doubt you have since you do not like tps wot switches. I had the tps switch in the controller set to spray only at 98% throttle and when the nitrous kicked in it would push my back in seat and cutoff cause the signal would drop below 98%

this was not a problem when I was a auto but when I converted to a 5-speed I would not always get to 98% throttle after shifts. but after going crazy for about a month trying to figure out the problem I just reset the tps switch to activate at 90% throttle

good luck with the setup oh yeah almost forgot not sure which version your getting but the software does not like windows xp and you will have to install the drivers manually

Last edited by t6378tp; 08-18-2008 at 09:08 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:27 AM

it took alittle while to setup but it works great now and I have it on both my car and truck. I like the fact the ramp can be tailored to track conditions and traction

One of the problems I had was with the ground for the fjo controller, it has 2 grounds as you will find out soon, the 1st ground wire which is small is for the controller itself the 2nd thicker ground wire is for the soleniods and I had to ground this directly to the battery since it needs to handle up to 4 of them I did not have this problem before cause the msd window was a simple on/off switch that I used to activate a relay but you can not do this with the fjo cause a relay simple can not turn on and off fast enough to keep up with the pulses.

the 2nd problem I had was something I doubt you have since you do not like tps wot switches. I had the tps switch in the controller set to spray only at 98% throttle and when the nitrous kicked in it would push my back in seat and cutoff cause the signal would drop below 98%

this was not a problem when I was a auto but when I converted to a 5-speed I would not always get to 98% throttle after shifts. but after going crazy for about a month trying to figure out the problem I just reset the tps switch to activate at 90% throttle

good luck with the setup oh yeah almost forgot not sure which version your getting but the software does not like windows xp and you will have to install the drivers manually
I will try the TPS switch, I have had good luck lately withj them.

The ground I know about after having the maximizer. The controller is grounding out the noids and they are VERY high current so has to be a solid ground with heavy wire.

I do the same with the TPS, give it some breathing room.

Just sent one of my fuel solenoids to NX for warranty. Its the one that froze when I blew the engine in my leased 2002. Apparently they have about a week turnaround so will be able to play with the controller on single stage until it comes back.

Last edited by Jime; 08-19-2008 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:27 PM
Turbo 3.5

I will try the TPS switch, I have had good luck lately withj them.

The ground I know about after having the maximizer. The controller is grounding out the noids and they are VERY high current so has to be a solid ground with heavy wire.

I do the same with the TPS, give it some breathing room.

Just sent one of my fuel solenoids to NX for warranty. Its the one that froze when I blew the engine in my leased 2002. Apparently they have about a week turnaround so will be able to play with the controller on single stage until it comes back.
I am going to getting a a/f saftey switch cause I am installing a 3.5 and worried about a frozen or sticky soleniod taking out the motor

not sure if you seen these but dynotune has one for about 100bucks

oh yeah you my have notice this with or old setup but anything anything below 30% is not too accurate

I have found that 14-15hz works great with my niods, anything higher is just too fast

Last edited by t6378tp; 08-19-2008 at 04:32 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:47 AM
NWP Engineering.com

I'm glad you got the nitrous bug again Jim. Can't wait to see how it goes.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
I'm glad you got the nitrous bug again Jim. Can't wait to see how it goes.
I really wanted to try and wring as much as I could N/A out of the 3.5 and I think that has been achieved. Now I will spend a bit of time to optimize the nitrous setup while finishing up the racing season. I have 7 more races left finishing on the 5th of Oct. After that I will see what she will do.

The hardest part is going to be optimizing the setup before trying it out. I will probably only get one shot and if I run under 11.49 I won't be able to try again because of the safety rules and I don't plan on installing a cage.

Maybe I can get them to look the other way for a couple of hours.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:36 AM
NWP Engineering.com

I really wanted to try and wring as much as I could N/A out of the 3.5 and I think that has been achieved. Now I will spend a bit of time to optimize the nitrous setup while finishing up the racing season. I have 7 more races left finishing on the 5th of Oct. After that I will see what she will do.

The hardest part is going to be optimizing the setup before trying it out. I will probably only get one shot and if I run under 11.49 I won't be able to try again because of the safety rules and I don't plan on installing a cage.

Yeah. My local track doesn't have a tech inspection at all. Which I don't really like. I'm the only one following NHRA rules and everyone else spills oil on the track.

But I haven't raced my Maxima since last Spring. I still haven't gone above the 75 shot. I will probably have a single stage progressive setup before I proceed. I'm sure I will have the nitrous bug again when the weather cools down.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:22 PM
Turbo 3.5

you should get atleast 2 passes before they kick you out

the 1st is a warning and the 2nd is the boot
Old 08-20-2008, 06:23 PM

you should get atleast 2 passes before they kick you out

the 1st is a warning and the 2nd is the boot
The problem is that I practically live there and they all know me. Especially after my and Jim Jr's accidents there. I think I can get them to overlook a small indiscression. Regardless I am going to take one day and just go for it. Probably the weekend after Oct 5, I will fill a couple of bottles and take Jim Jr so he can video. He still hasn't tried out the Z yet so he is keen to go.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:07 AM
Turbo 3.5

bump, still jime and selling his controller and others have some questions