5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Engine Support Bar - Tranny Removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 09:21 PM

Engine Support Bar - Tranny Removal

Hey guys.

I'm looking for the engine lift hook points in our 5th gen 3.0L VQ Engine. I looked all around and I couldn't find it. Am I missing it or there were no hook points to start with.

I'm in the process of rebuilding the tranny with new bearings. I got everything that are on the way removed. The FSM stated that I need to remove the center support member where the front and back engine mounts sit. I probably don't need to do this make the tranny loose but it might be necessary to lower the engine slightly to get the tranny out of the way.

The FSM mentioned I need to remove the tranny mount and support the engine on the oil pan. I'm not comfortable doing that and I already have the engine support bar from Harbor Freight that I bought a while back.

So, to do this, I would need the lifting point on the engine. I could probably use tow strap and wrap it around the back but that would rock back and forth. How did you guys do this? How did you guys hook up the cherry picker to remove the engine? Do you guys take a few bolts and make DIY hook?

Thanks.

Last edited by Genes1s; 06-22-2018 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:09 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Genes1s
Hey guys.

I'm looking for the engine lift hook points in our 5th gen 3.0L VQ Engine. I looked all around and I couldn't find it. Am I missing it or there were no hook points to start with.

I'm in the process of rebuilding the tranny with new bearings. I got everything that are on the way removed. The FSM stated that I need to remove the center support member where the front and back engine mounts sit. I probably don't need to do this make the tranny loose but it might be necessary to lower the engine slightly to get the tranny out of the way.

The FSM mentioned I need to remove the tranny mount and support the engine on the oil pan. I'm not comfortable doing that and I already have the engine support bar from Harbor Freight that I bought a while back.

So, to do this, I would need the lifting point on the engine. I could probably use tow strap and wrap it around the back but that would rock back and forth. How did you guys do this? How did you guys hook up the cherry picker to remove the engine? Do you guys take a few bolts and make DIY hook?

Thanks.
I lower the engine with hoist till it kisses the frame rail (b/c pulling engine anyway LOL), then put a jack under the oil pan with a big block of wood. A lot of the weight is hanging on the engine mount. There's not enough weight to crush the lower pan. Even without support under the pan it will hang there just fine, but will smash the idler pulley nut into frame rail. So, you can basically just use the jack to slowly lower the engine till its lowest point by putting it where engine and tranny meet, then support just the engine. Slide off tranny and push it back on with the help of a tranny jack or hoist.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 06-22-2018 at 11:17 PM.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:20 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

There aren't any hook points. Lifting straps would be easy enough to wrap around both exhaust manifolds. Chains can be used with some careful placement.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:23 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

I must wonder, does the cross member even need to be removed? I have pulled a many transmissions and the only one I had to tilt the engine was a 6 speed VQ35.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:35 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Good job so far. I'm interested in your rebuild. Where are you getting the new parts?

I swapped my trans last night. I used a few different wrenches and ratchets to reach all the bolts. Not my first time as I said before, but what fun some bolts are to get to.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by JSutter
Good job so far. I'm interested in your rebuild. Where are you getting the new parts?

I swapped my trans last night. I used a few different wrenches and ratchets to reach all the bolts. Not my first time as I said before, but what fun some bolts are to get to.
I got it from this place. They have good service and the bearings are made in Japan. It comes with all 6 bearings and seals. I didn't order the Synchros with it but we'll see.

http://transmissionpartsdistributors...i-type-bk182d/