Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

BOV, do I need an aftermarket one or Bosch will do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 02:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

BOV, do I need an aftermarket one or Bosch will do?

I am going to run 3.125 (already installed) but wanted to know if the stock Bosch BOV is capable of handling the extra psi? I dont want it leaking extra psi while it is trying to send it to the throttle body.

Right now Im not interested in doing the CAI since I dont want to lose my washer tank. Need to figure out how customize the tank to stay in there with the CAI. And also not interested since it "seems" you have to get a part welded to the charged piping. I swear I remember a way around it with a special univeral flange but now I cant remember.

Dixit
Old 12-09-2002, 04:53 PM

Re: BOV, do I need an aftermarket one or Bosch will do?

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
I am going to run 3.125 (already installed) but wanted to know if the stock Bosch BOV is capable of handling the extra psi? I dont want it leaking extra psi while it is trying to send it to the throttle body.

Right now Im not interested in doing the CAI since I dont want to lose my washer tank. Need to figure out how customize the tank to stay in there with the CAI. And also not interested since it "seems" you have to get a part welded to the charged piping. I swear I remember a way around it with a special univeral flange but now I cant remember.

Dixit
I would definitely recommend getting a BOV since your running a low size pulley. You don't want the sc dumping back that air back in the system.. You don't have to do any welding. Do what I did, I just got a flange for my Blitz BOV and used like a 2.25" diameter hose and connected one end to the flange and the other to the pipe.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Might as well get the BOV, but it can be a hassle. I guess you've been without a car for a few days while you installed the SC. Be prepared to possibly be without the car a few more days if the BOV messes up like it has on a few of our cars.

Also, check my thread on the CAI before you attempt it.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by Tanman
Might as well get the BOV, but it can be a hassle. I guess you've been without a car for a few days while you installed the SC. Be prepared to possibly be without the car a few more days if the BOV messes up like it has on a few of our cars.

Also, check my thread on the CAI before you attempt it.
Wait what happened to the cars that had BOV and it screwed up on them if that is what happend?

I gotta look at your thread about the CAI.

Also the damn BOV is like $200 or aint it?
Old 12-09-2002, 07:43 PM

Wait what happened to the cars that had BOV and it screwed up on them if that is what happend?

I gotta look at your thread about the CAI.

Also the damn BOV is like $200 or aint it?
TheNewClimax, Maxboost000, and myself have experienced problems with the car stalling after we installed the BOV. As far as I know, TheNewClimax gave up on his setup and is trying to sell his car (or has sold it). Maxboost000 fixed his problem by re-routing the release air from the BOV back into the intake pipe. I'm still working on mine. I think you just have to adjust the BOV screw to the exact position where the car won't stall and the BOV will work as designed. Yes, BOVs are about $175-225.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:41 PM

Well heres still my question, do you think the Bosch could handle the 3.125? Only reason I ask if temporary I want to run it till I get a a Blitz or something else.

Oh yeah Tanmann, I backed off my s/c install because we got about 1foot of snow the day before I was going to reinstall it. And then I realized how bad my traction issues are in the snow. I dont think an extra 100+whp is going to help in that issue. Remember Im running on 19s. "Not winter tires" by ANY means. Might be holding off on the install now till January or until I know for a FACT there is no more snow coming.

Dixit
Old 12-09-2002, 09:28 PM

Well heres still my question, do you think the Bosch could handle the 3.125? Only reason I ask if temporary I want to run it till I get a a Blitz or something else.

Oh yeah Tanmann, I backed off my s/c install because we got about 1foot of snow the day before I was going to reinstall it. And then I realized how bad my traction issues are in the snow. I dont think an extra 100+whp is going to help in that issue. Remember Im running on 19s. "Not winter tires" by ANY means. Might be holding off on the install now till January or until I know for a FACT there is no more snow coming.

Dixit
I don't think there will be a problem with the Bosch recirculation valve and a smaller pulley. If you think about the way the valve (or BOV) works, I think they can handle enough of the boost to prevent backsurge to the blower.

That sux that you have to wait. You really don't want to push the SC for the first few hundred miles that it's installed. Break-in period and all that. I mean, you don't want to hit full boost every chance right away, so it shouldn't be too bad installing it and driving it in snow. Besides, it's more like +65whp .
Old 12-09-2002, 09:34 PM

Originally posted by Tanman

That sux that you have to wait. You really don't want to push the SC for the first few hundred miles that it's installed. Break-in period and all that. I mean, you don't want to hit full boost every chance right away, so it shouldn't be too bad installing it and driving it in snow. Besides, it's more like +65whp .
Yeah but the good thing is that the s/c is not new. It is used. It was gently used and I have opened it since my friend owns a shop and we checked the s/c and everything is 100% on it.

Yea Im still dying to install it, I might just install it this weekend and the hell with it all of it.

Dixit
Old 12-09-2002, 09:37 PM

Hey, I have one for sale that I used for about 3 days, still pretty new. If you haven't read some of my posts I went ahead and got the Gredy Type-S. If you want mine, we can meet up for $180. Let me know, because if I odn't find a local buyer withint this week, I'm going to go ahe and auction it off on Ebay. With any pulley, I recommend having the BOV for the blower's sake.
-Ben
Old 12-09-2002, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by BenBlanco218
Hey, I have one for sale that I used for about 3 days, still pretty new. If you haven't read some of my posts I went ahead and got the Gredy Type-S. If you want mine, we can meet up for $180. Let me know, because if I odn't find a local buyer withint this week, I'm going to go ahe and auction it off on Ebay. With any pulley, I recommend having the BOV for the blower's sake.
-Ben
You selling the Greddy one? I hear that one leaks...
Old 12-09-2002, 10:37 PM

You selling the Greddy one? I hear that one leaks...
I'm keeping the Greddy, mine doesn't leak. The Blitz is yours for $180.
Old 12-09-2002, 10:45 PM

Hopefully my Greddy won't leak. I also have a Blitz Supersound (older model with the big horn) which I'm willing to sell.
Old 12-09-2002, 11:05 PM

I'm keeping the Greddy, mine doesn't leak. The Blitz is yours for $180.
Does this come with the flange and if I use the flange do I still need to get this bad boy welded?
Old 12-09-2002, 11:13 PM

Does this come with the flange and if I use the flange do I still need to get this bad boy welded?
You shouldn't have to get it welded, though it does come with the flange, if for some reason it doesn't bolt right onto the pipe. I just don't have the gasket.
Old 12-09-2002, 11:23 PM

You shouldn't have to get it welded, though it does come with the flange, if for some reason it doesn't bolt right onto the pipe. I just don't have the gasket.
How do you hook it upto the charged pipe then? The charged pipe now had a 1" style pipe which is connected with a small 2" piece of rubber hose and then it also hooks upto the stock bosch BOV. This is hooked via hose clamps.

All the pictures of the Blitz Ive seen show it as a flat piece on the bottom. How can you hook that upto the 1" pipe coming off the charged pipe?

Dixit
Old 12-10-2002, 12:26 AM

How do you hook it upto the charged pipe then? The charged pipe now had a 1" style pipe which is connected with a small 2" piece of rubber hose and then it also hooks upto the stock bosch BOV. This is hooked via hose clamps.

All the pictures of the Blitz Ive seen show it as a flat piece on the bottom. How can you hook that upto the 1" pipe coming off the charged pipe?

Dixit
Hmm, since you have a 5th gen SC, its probably different than mine (4th gen). I have a flat piece (flange) on the very end of the 1" pipe coming off the charge pipe which would bolt to the flange of the Blitz BOV. If there isn't a flat piece at the end of yours, your going to have to get the Blitz BOV steel flange welded on in order to bolt it to the flange of the BOV.
Old 12-10-2002, 03:08 AM

Hmm, since you have a 5th gen SC, its probably different than mine (4th gen). I have a flat piece (flange) on the very end of the 1" pipe coming off the charge pipe which would bolt to the flange of the Blitz BOV. If there isn't a flat piece at the end of yours, your going to have to get the Blitz BOV steel flange welded on in order to bolt it to the flange of the BOV.
I have a spare steel flange that you can use on your Blitz... PM me..
Old 12-10-2002, 06:01 AM

Yeah but the good thing is that the s/c is not new. It is used. It was gently used and I have opened it since my friend owns a shop and we checked the s/c and everything is 100% on it.

Yea Im still dying to install it, I might just install it this weekend and the hell with it all of it.

Dixit
You opened up your SC? Mind doing a step-by-step write-up? Pretty-Pleeease?

I've been thinking of taking my V1 apart for inspection, but I don't want to risk ruining a seal or bearing and having to send it to Vortech.
Old 12-10-2002, 08:20 AM

Originally posted by Stephen Max

You opened up your SC? Mind doing a step-by-step write-up? Pretty-Pleeease?

I've been thinking of taking my V1 apart for inspection, but I don't want to risk ruining a seal or bearing and having to send it to Vortech.
Gonna have to talk to my shop buddy who builds then. I dont rememebr what he did step by step.
Old 12-10-2002, 04:07 PM

if you get one that needs to be welded and don't know anybody locally that can make it look nice, email me. I'll hook you up for shipping costs.
Old 12-10-2002, 06:18 PM

Originally posted by Engloid

if you get one that needs to be welded and don't know anybody locally that can make it look nice, email me. I'll hook you up for shipping costs.
Thanks Big Daddy.