Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Quoted: $400-600 and 1 WEEK to install V1 S/C

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2002, 02:37 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Quoted: $400-600 and 1 WEEK to install V1 S/C

"Turbo" Tom stopped by today to give me some estimates. He said installation at his shop would be $400, maybe higher if any custom fabbing was needed. The thing is, he said I would have to leave my car there for a WEEK just to be safe. I thought this S/C could be installed in a days work? What do you guys think?

And if anyone knows anyone who could help me install in Central Florida, please let me know.
Old 12-22-2002, 03:20 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Quoted: $400-600 and 1 WEEK to install V1 S/C

My wife an I did ours in one week. We would work on it for 1 to 2 hours each night. $400 sounds fair is you take in to account that most shops charge 75 to 90 bucks an hour for labor. There are a few modification that need to be done during the install. (Power Steering lines...Fuse box...battery placement) I would have the techs review the instructions and get an estimate in writing before any work is done. That way, there are no surpises.
If you have a descent collection of tools and have patience, you could try it yourself. (With help for the ORG) If you dedicate an entire weekend to the job, you should get it done. That way, you can save the $400 to $600 bucks for gauges or getting it tuned.
Old 12-22-2002, 03:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It took me one week for finish the install on my SC. That was my first time installing the SC by myself, so I took my time on purpose. I would try to do it myself Craig. It's not really that hard, just time consuming. I think it's easier than a 5spd swap judging by the instructions on Harold's site. So if you could do a 5spd swap, why not do the SC too?
Old 12-22-2002, 03:39 PM

Re: Re: Quoted: $400-600 and 1 WEEK to install V1 S/C

Originally posted by smokedford
My wife an I did ours in one week. We would work on it for 1 to 2 hours each night. $400 sounds fair is you take in to account that most shops charge 75 to 90 bucks an hour for labor. There are a few modification that need to be done during the install. (Power Steering lines...Fuse box...battery placement) I would have the techs review the instructions and get an estimate in writing before any work is done. That way, there are no surpises.
If you have a descent collection of tools and have patience, you could try it yourself. (With help for the ORG) If you dedicate an entire weekend to the job, you should get it done. That way, you can save the $400 to $600 bucks for gauges or getting it tuned.
I would never try this myself, I know I would screw it up. I already have gauges and their included in the price.
Old 12-22-2002, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by Cumalot
It took me one week for finish the install on my SC. That was my first time installing the SC by myself, so I took my time on purpose. I would try to do it myself Craig. It's not really that hard, just time consuming. I think it's easier than a 5spd swap judging by the instructions on Harold's site. So if you could do a 5spd swap, why not do the SC too?
Well, Chaz was the brain behind the 5spd swap, I just did what he told me to, even though I learned a lot in the process. I don't trust myself, especially with the gauges and relocating.
Old 12-22-2002, 04:46 PM
Permanent Maxima.org Resident

sounds like he giving you a conservative estimate on the time just in case.. the price is very good if the work is good.

Originally posted by Craig Mack
"Turbo" Tom stopped by today to give me some estimates. He said installation at his shop would be $400, maybe higher if any custom fabbing was needed. The thing is, he said I would have to leave my car there for a WEEK just to be safe. I thought this S/C could be installed in a days work? What do you guys think?

And if anyone knows anyone who could help me install in Central Florida, please let me know.
Old 12-22-2002, 04:47 PM

It usally will take the good amount of 2 days to get the supercharger in and all up and good. 400 bucks sounds good, if you think about it, he plans to do a little here and there, if he did it straight through it would cost you more.
Old 12-22-2002, 06:23 PM

That is a good price, however, go through the list of parts with them and make sure you've got everything before you commit to that. I missed acouple of things due to my inexperience and it nearly doubled the amount of time that it took to install the thing
Old 12-22-2002, 08:33 PM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

Originally posted by ereet
That is a good price, however, go through the list of parts with them and make sure you've got everything before you commit to that. I missed acouple of things due to my inexperience and it nearly doubled the amount of time that it took to install the thing
Do it yourself, I finished mine tonight... takes 1 weeke xactly... including a vb swap, guages and fuel pump... the experience is good that you get out of it.. Either way, 400 is a very good price, my best price here was like 600 without guage install.

Edit: Forgot to mention Thomas was working with me, and we didn't work on it for like 2 days in the week.
Old 12-22-2002, 09:23 PM

Originally posted by seximagtr

Do it yourself, I finished mine tonight... takes 1 weeke xactly... including a vb swap, guages and fuel pump... the experience is good that you get out of it.. Either way, 400 is a very good price, my best price here was like 600 without guage install.

Edit: Forgot to mention Thomas was working with me, and we didn't work on it for like 2 days in the week.
Well, if I can get everything including the gauges installed for $400-550, I will be happy! I was going to do this all with Chaz for 400, but my parents insisted on a professional doing it for reasons regarding previous instances...Chaz does good work though and I woulda went with him. I learned TONS from the 5spd swap, but this s/c deal is something i'm willing to leave to the pro's, especially for that price.
Old 12-22-2002, 09:37 PM

Craig, if you must have a professional do the install, the $400 price is a great deal. Before I installed the SC myself, I just went around to some local speed shops and see how much they would charge for the install. Of course I had no intention of letting them do it, I can't trust guys that work exclusively on Hondas to mess with my car. Price varied from $700-$900! That's crazy! And who knows if they know what they are doing or do it correctly.
Old 12-22-2002, 10:38 PM

Well I must say I was in your situation and luckily everything worked out very good. You are in Central Flordia right? If you aren't that far from Atlanta I would reccommend you taking your car there and letting Jaime do it. I took mine there. I didnt want to do it by myself. It was like a 6-7 hour drive for me. Well worth it. I helped with the install along with his little brother. I am very glad I helped and all, because when it comes time to put a new belt on I know exactly what to do. I am not scared at all to take it apart by myself now. I would defintily say I would recommend you at least being there when the plate and blower go on, so you will know how the belt goes on, that way you won't have to fork out big bucks for a 30 dollar belt. Well good luck in either way you choose.
Old 12-23-2002, 06:49 AM

Craig,
That is a great price. The CHEAPEST i was quoted for install was 780, not including vb or Oil cooler, etc. the most I was asked to do it for was well over 1400 (1400 was just for S/C install). What a rip! Anyway I would do it, but ask "turbo tom" if you can assist/help/learn in the process. Doing it yourself was what I was going to do, but now I'm getting rid of the S/C

Oh well, it makes me look forward to a nice boosted Z350 if/when they come out. Next car I buy will be boosted from the factory
Old 12-23-2002, 08:13 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Thats a heck of a quote! I'd have that in writing so you can protect yourself. I got a quote of $600 and the shop was kind enough to stick to it despite working on it for 10 days.

Something to consider.
If something goes wrong you can take it back to the shop if they worked on it. If you worked on it then you're responsible.
Old 12-23-2002, 09:10 AM

Originally posted by BlackCat
Thats a heck of a quote! I'd have that in writing so you can protect yourself. I got a quote of $600 and the shop was kind enough to stick to it despite working on it for 10 days.

Something to consider.
If something goes wrong you can take it back to the shop if they worked on it. If you worked on it then you're responsible.
He went through all the boxes filled with Supercharger parts and was like ok......ok........pulleys ok........ and after checking everything out and holding some things up to my engine to see what it might fit like, he said "You could drop it off at my shop next week for a week and I'll do it for $400, $600 at the MOST if I need to custom fabricate anything like pipes or anything.

Since I highly doubt any custom fabbing will be needed, $400 will most likely be it. I showed him the gauges too so he knows that will be included.

The reason why the price is soo good is becuase a guy at Nissan with his own car club is hooking me up. Turbo Tom does all their custom work. I think he is wanting me to join his club tho, something I don't wanna do right now. (It's all honda's, and sooby's, and a couple cavaliers)
Old 12-24-2002, 09:48 PM

is this the same turbo-Tom who twin-t'd a Datsun 510?
Old 12-25-2002, 06:46 AM

he doesnt have to custom fabricate anything just scoot the fuse box back, and route your powersteering lines out of the way. Everything else is all slide on and bolt on. Takes about a one day maybe half of another day.
Old 12-25-2002, 10:41 PM

Originally posted by JAY25
he doesnt have to custom fabricate anything just scoot the fuse box back, and route your powersteering lines out of the way. Everything else is all slide on and bolt on. Takes about a one day maybe half of another day.
Old 12-26-2002, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by BluFlame
is this the same turbo-Tom who twin-t'd a Datsun 510?
If he's 28 and now resides in Florida.
Old 12-26-2002, 02:19 PM

Guys,

I just remembered, Coolkids sent me a 8:1 disc, and a 6:1 disc. I was planning on running a 3.33 or 3.125, so I was gonna use the 8:1 disc. Turbo Tom said since i'm on stock clutch we should start out with stock boost (3.6) and for safety reasons. Will I be able to use the 8:1 disc with it? What about my Walbro fuel pump? I hear without an automatic fuel regulator that I would be running rich and ruining my spark plugs. Is that true, or am I safe on my stock FPR with a beast like the Walbro?

BTW, My clutch is extremely weak. It's the smoothest engaging clutch ever, it's a pleasure to drive, but when I want to romp on it, it's like trying to chirp with a clutch made outta butter. It's not even OEM , but a generic clutch. I can't even chirp second anymore and sometimes when I gas it while engaged in first gear @10ish mph, it lags, bogs, then I jet off. WTF?
Old 12-26-2002, 05:24 PM

Guys,

I just remembered, Coolkids sent me a 8:1 disc, and a 6:1 disc. I was planning on running a 3.33 or 3.125, so I was gonna use the 8:1 disc. Turbo Tom said since i'm on stock clutch we should start out with stock boost (3.6) and for safety reasons. Will I be able to use the 8:1 disc with it? What about my Walbro fuel pump? I hear without an automatic fuel regulator that I would be running rich and ruining my spark plugs. Is that true, or am I safe on my stock FPR with a beast like the Walbro?

BTW, My clutch is extremely weak. It's the smoothest engaging clutch ever, it's a pleasure to drive, but when I want to romp on it, it's like trying to chirp with a clutch made outta butter. It's not even OEM , but a generic clutch. I can't even chirp second anymore and sometimes when I gas it while engaged in first gear @10ish mph, it lags, bogs, then I jet off. WTF?
Makes A Big diff weather or not you go 3.33, or 3.125..With the 3.125 you need the 8:1, with the 3.33 prob not. I would swap the clutch without a doubt if not for risk of killing it at least to put the powre your making down, why make power and not put it down? ON the 3.6 NO not the 8:1, and if you go down to the 3.125 I would swap the spark plug colder too, 2 steps, Is what I recomend, and if you havn't done it a cold air intake. Hope that gets you going some.
Old 12-27-2002, 10:13 AM

Originally posted by max'n out

Makes A Big diff weather or not you go 3.33, or 3.125..With the 3.125 you need the 8:1, with the 3.33 prob not. I would swap the clutch without a doubt if not for risk of killing it at least to put the powre your making down, why make power and not put it down? ON the 3.6 NO not the 8:1, and if you go down to the 3.125 I would swap the spark plug colder too, 2 steps, Is what I recomend, and if you havn't done it a cold air intake. Hope that gets you going some.
thx for that info.. I saved it to MS word on my desktop.