Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Supercharger is weaksauce w/stock pulley?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2002, 02:29 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Supercharger is weaksauce w/stock pulley?

Since our blowers are centrifugel the boost is going to hit smooth and gradually. With the stock pulley, it's only 70-80+hp and won't even start till 3600rpm. I hear that when going WOT from a stop, you can barely sense the supercharger is there. Any truth behind that? What about a 5-3 downshift on the highway? Would one notice that?
Old 12-26-2002, 03:58 PM
SLOW

Re: Supercharger is weaksauce w/stock pulley?

Originally posted by Craig Mack
Since our blowers are centrifugel the boost is going to hit smooth and gradually. With the stock pulley, it's only 70-80+hp and won't even start till 3600rpm. I hear that when going WOT from a stop, you can barely sense the supercharger is there. Any truth behind that? What about a 5-3 downshift on the highway? Would one notice that?
You can tell the the MEVI is there and that's alot more subtle than an SC. If you can't tell you have an extra 70hp I think you need to recalibrate your butt dyno.
Old 12-26-2002, 04:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well coming from an automagic max, going to a 5 speed boosted max even at stock boost should make you cream yourself. Craig, you know what your car felt like a year ago. Get the blower installed and then come talk to us.
Old 12-26-2002, 07:07 PM

Re: Re: Supercharger is weaksauce w/stock pulley?

Originally posted by delio

Well coming from an automagic max, going to a 5 speed boosted max even at stock boost should make you cream yourself. Craig, you know what your car felt like a year ago. Get the blower installed and then come talk to us.

Talking like that I thought you installed it already
Old 12-26-2002, 08:02 PM
RBa

Trust me.. You'll notice it..
Old 12-26-2002, 08:25 PM

Re: Re: Supercharger is weaksauce w/stock pulley?

Yeah, when I converted, it was like a whole new car. My auto was a dog off the line. I knew something was wrong when my mom's 96 caravan could peel out(3.8L, 215hp/245tq, but like 4300lbs.), yet my MAXIMA(3.0L, 190HP/205tq, 3000lbs.) could barely get a squeek once in a while. The first "launch" in my 5spd was a clutch slipping at 2700rpm. I roasted the hell out of my tires throughout first gear and immediently got a big smile on my face. I knew that my car is now a totally different beast. First gear is extremely torquey, but winds out too fast.

Let's compare the auto --> 5spd swap w/the addition of the S/C:

Auto --> 5spd:
1)Standard tranny is ~80lbs. lighter then auto
2)Much better gearing for performance
3)3.33 1st gear vs. like 2.43 1st gear
4)More HP to the wheels
5)MUCH more control (ability to dump clutch, chose the gear you want to downshift in, ect.)
6)Direct connection to your engine

All this equates to almost a full second shaved off the 0-60 (if you can get traction) and off the 1/4th.

Versus

V1 Supercharger @6psi
1)Turbo like in power delivery, STARTS boosting at 3600 (so like 2.2psi per 1000rpm, or ~22HP every 1000rpm)
2)Smooth gradual power curve
3)70whp by the time you reach redline

According to Stillen, this should shave a second off my ET. So technically I should be in the 13's easily with all my mods.

Now lets see, a 5-3 highway downshift would put me right in the power, so I should reach peak boost fast....what the heak was I saying, this downshift is gonna scare the hell out of me if it doesn't roast my clutch first!

I think the SC @ 6psi will give me the same reaction as my 5spd swap did. (wow, this is a totally different car now)

My Maxi gets dropped off at turbo toms shop on monday and will be there till friday. Anyone who's knows my style should know that i'm going to give my views on the S/C in the form of a long post, as I do with most new parts I get!

I wasn't given instructions with this kit. I'm gonna look at ptatohed's stuff and see if that will do the trick.

But does anyone have anything that recommends what parts you should use/switch when you up the boost? For example, 6:1 disc or 8:1 disc w/stock pulley, 8:1 w/3.33 and below, Walbro pump or stock pump w/stock pulley or if either is fine, ect.

And man am I glad that I don't have to worry about my idler pulley melting, or oil leaks. V1 ownz.
Old 12-27-2002, 07:04 AM

Re: Re: Re: Supercharger is weaksauce w/stock pulley?

Originally posted by JAY25

Talking like that I thought you installed it already
HUH!!!???
Old 12-27-2002, 07:08 AM

Re: Re: Re: Supercharger is weaksauce w/stock pulley?

Yeah, when I converted, it was like a whole new car. My auto was a dog off the line. I knew something was wrong when my mom's 96 caravan could peel out(3.8L, 215hp/245tq, but like 4300lbs.), yet my MAXIMA(3.0L, 190HP/205tq, 3000lbs.) could barely get a squeek once in a while. The first "launch" in my 5spd was a clutch slipping at 2700rpm. I roasted the hell out of my tires throughout first gear and immediently got a big smile on my face. I knew that my car is now a totally different beast. First gear is extremely torquey, but winds out too fast.

Let's compare the auto --> 5spd swap w/the addition of the S/C:

Auto --> 5spd:
1)Standard tranny is ~80lbs. lighter then auto
2)Much better gearing for performance
3)3.33 1st gear vs. like 2.43 1st gear
4)More HP to the wheels
5)MUCH more control (ability to dump clutch, chose the gear you want to downshift in, ect.)
6)Direct connection to your engine

All this equates to almost a full second shaved off the 0-60 (if you can get traction) and off the 1/4th.

Versus

V1 Supercharger @6psi
1)Turbo like in power delivery, STARTS boosting at 3600 (so like 2.2psi per 1000rpm, or ~22HP every 1000rpm)
2)Smooth gradual power curve
3)70whp by the time you reach redline

According to Stillen, this should shave a second off my ET. So technically I should be in the 13's easily with all my mods.

Now lets see, a 5-3 highway downshift would put me right in the power, so I should reach peak boost fast....what the heak was I saying, this downshift is gonna scare the hell out of me if it doesn't roast my clutch first!

I think the SC @ 6psi will give me the same reaction as my 5spd swap did. (wow, this is a totally different car now)

My Maxi gets dropped off at turbo toms shop on monday and will be there till friday. Anyone who's knows my style should know that i'm going to give my views on the S/C in the form of a long post, as I do with most new parts I get!

I wasn't given instructions with this kit. I'm gonna look at ptatohed's stuff and see if that will do the trick.

But does anyone have anything that recommends what parts you should use/switch when you up the boost? For example, 6:1 disc or 8:1 disc w/stock pulley, 8:1 w/3.33 and below, Walbro pump or stock pump w/stock pulley or if either is fine, ect.

And man am I glad that I don't have to worry about my idler pulley melting, or oil leaks. V1 ownz.
Keep in mind Ptatohead's instructions are for a V2... there is more going on in the belt area and such then with the V1. I think Cheston's ****e had V1 directions up, you may want to go grab those.

Good luck, and I know you will enjoy it.
Old 12-27-2002, 10:11 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Supercharger is weaksauce w/stock pulley?

Keep in mind Ptatohead's instructions are for a V2... there is more going on in the belt area and such then with the V1. I think Cheston's ****e had V1 directions up, you may want to go grab those.

Good luck, and I know you will enjoy it.
Yeh... I just remembered that! And they are straight from Stillen too! Thanks for reminding me bro.

And I will definatally let everyone know my thoughts on it when it goes on!!
Old 12-27-2002, 12:59 PM
RBa

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Supercharger is weaksauce w/stock pulley?

I still remember delio giving me that 8 sec head start when I was NA and whoosing by me after..
Old 12-27-2002, 03:00 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Supercharger is weaksauce w/stock pulley?

Originally posted by RBa
I still remember delio giving me that 8 sec head start when I was NA and whoosing by me after..
The looks on your faces were priceless...bwahahahaha
Old 12-27-2002, 03:17 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Supercharger is weaksauce w/stock pulley?

Originally posted by RBa

I almost ran into someone in this vid when baggs was racing someone I was looking else where and they took off, check the video out

http://www.vqpower.com/v2/modules.ph...p=getit&lid=46
Old 12-28-2002, 12:57 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Supercharger is weaksauce w/stock pulley?

I remember that vid, your 2nd gear is ridiculous.... pulled on them like nothin...... what pulley/psi u had/have on?
Old 12-28-2002, 01:21 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Supercharger is weaksauce w/stock pulley?

Originally posted by MAXIN

I remember that vid, your 2nd gear is ridiculous.... pulled on them like nothin...... what pulley/psi u had/have on?
thats a 10 psi, 3.25 pulley, that was a lets make a video nite but I didnt know that they were about to race and my brother was recording the whole time while I was looking else where.