Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

What is wrong with my SC max?...poor dyno results

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 11:37 AM

What is wrong with my SC max?...poor dyno results

Hey guys, well I took my car to the dyno and I only got 277 fwhp and like 250 torque with a 3.125 pulley!!! Remember I asked u guys why my car was running low boost? I was only getting 7 psi with a 3.125 pulley. SO, how am I losing boost and power? How much should I really have? I think I will have to change my BOV and install my old POS bosch bypass. MAybe that will solve the problem.If u guys have any info on this, let me know please. Thanx again guys.

~AC

ps. I also have catback exhaust, test pipe and 1 step colder plugs and I added 100 octane for the dyno. Oh and BTW, I have a 5-speed.
Old 01-13-2003, 11:42 AM
Jer

Re: What is wrong with my SC max?...poor dyno results

Check for a vacuum leak? I guess that's been covered before though The BOV could be a part of it if it's leaking - try replacing that, and for pete's sake you don't need 100 octane! Stick to good pump gas and you will see just as much or little a difference.. it could be that whatever gas or additive you filled up with could have killed some hp's too..

Originally posted by maxxboost00
Hey guys, well I took my car to the dyno and I only got 277 fwhp and like 250 torque with a 3.125 pulley!!! Remember I asked u guys why my car was running low boost? I was only getting 7 psi with a 3.125 pulley. SO, how am I losing boost and power? How much should I really have? I think I will have to change my BOV and install my old POS bosch bypass. MAybe that will solve the problem.If u guys have any info on this, let me know please. Thanx again guys.

~AC

ps. I also have catback exhaust, test pipe and 1 step colder plugs and I added 100 octane for the dyno.
Old 01-13-2003, 01:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

assuming you have ypipe too, eh? have you check the flex section? or like Jer said....a leaking BOV can hurt performance too (Kevin had to tighten the BOV to get some horses back).

btw I replaced by belt! 90% DIY
Old 01-13-2003, 01:12 PM

assuming you have ypipe too, eh? have you check the flex section? or like Jer said....a leaking BOV can hurt performance too (Kevin had to tighten the BOV to get some horses back).

Old 01-13-2003, 01:35 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

CAI!

What kind of boost gauge do you have?
Old 01-13-2003, 01:51 PM
Jer

After longer drives at sustained higher speeds (ie highway driving), my tensioner is making squeaky and rattly noises, and my belt is showing some wear on the outer side ... uh oh... it looks like I'm next in line after maxi!

Tanman is right too btw, I've heard of a lot of people complaining that their boost gauges were showing incorrect boost and/or vacuum readings; generally replacing the gauge magically brings some boost back

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]

Old 01-13-2003, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by Jer
After longer drives at sustained higher speeds (ie highway driving), my tensioner is making squeaky and rattly noises, and my belt is showing some wear on the outer side ... uh oh... it looks like I'm next in line after maxi!

Tanman is right too btw, I've heard of a lot of people complaining that their boost gauges were showing incorrect boost and/or vacuum readings; generally replacing the gauge magically brings some boost back

you have the plastic tensioner pulley? How long have u had the belt on your blower? mine dies in 5000 miles.

let me know if I can help you in any way. And it is good to replace it before it snaps on you.
Old 01-13-2003, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by Tanman
CAI!

What kind of boost gauge do you have?
hello Tan
how's your new CAI and cat back??? ????
Old 01-13-2003, 09:25 PM

No, I do not have a y-pipe installed yet nor do I have a CAI. Do those numbers seem right to u guys though? 277 fwhp?? I was hoping to at least hit the 300 mark. DO u guys think that it could be a bad MAF? That same day after the dyno, my "service engine soon" light came on and I am not sure what it could be. The car still runs and runs smooth, I just don't know what could be wrong with the boost. I will try to install the stock bosch bypass valve to see if I gain any boost or not. Let me know what your guy's numbers are so that I can have a comparison. Thanx guys!

~AC
Old 01-13-2003, 09:40 PM

No, I do not have a y-pipe installed yet nor do I have a CAI. Do those numbers seem right to u guys though? 277 fwhp?? I was hoping to at least hit the 300 mark. DO u guys think that it could be a bad MAF? That same day after the dyno, my "service engine soon" light came on and I am not sure what it could be. The car still runs and runs smooth, I just don't know what could be wrong with the boost. I will try to install the stock bosch bypass valve to see if I gain any boost or not. Let me know what your guy's numbers are so that I can have a comparison. Thanx guys!

~AC
y pipe is 20 hp on a boosted Maxima.....without the ypipe...having a cat back is kinda meaningless because everything is still sitting in the stock pipe.

this is a picture of how restrictive the stock ypipe is. (Credit : Tanman)

your SES light can be a lot of things. Have you pulled the code? If you dont want to pull the cod and the car is still running good, try to reset it and see if it still comes back. SES light has to be triggered by 2 consecutive faulty readings.

IMO....277hp without the ypipe is pretty good number. With the ypipe will get you close to 300 and with a CAI will get you another pound of boost at WOT. That adds up to 310.

I havent dynoed yet....
Old 01-13-2003, 09:51 PM

Re: Re: What is wrong with my SC max?...poor dyno results

Originally posted by Jer
Check for a vacuum leak? The BOV could be a part of it if it's leaking - try replacing that.
Hmm, I know it may be different for 5th gens, though I have a 4th gen. and I was wondering how would you know when the BOV is leaking? Mine is set to idle with the BOV releasing a little bit of air at idle, and I still can see 9-10PSI at redline on my boost gauge with the 3.33" and full 2.5" piping. I may have asked this question before, but for 4th gens., does it make a difference on the dyno if I didn't let my BOV vent any air at idle? Thanks.

-Ben
Old 01-13-2003, 11:39 PM

If those dyno numbers seem about right, then that means that my boost gauge must be off, right? I am only reading 7 psi on the 3.125 pulley on the sport comp autometer boost gauge. So with this in mind, I technically do not have anything wrong with my BOV leaking, according to my dyno chart and to your guy's advice. I will still try to see if I can fix this gauge somehow. And I am definitley going to get that Y-pipe.

~AC
Old 01-14-2003, 12:12 AM

If those dyno numbers seem about right, then that means that my boost gauge must be off, right? I am only reading 7 psi on the 3.125 pulley on the sport comp autometer boost gauge. So with this in mind, I technically do not have anything wrong with my BOV leaking, according to my dyno chart and to your guy's advice. I will still try to see if I can fix this gauge somehow. And I am definitley going to get that Y-pipe.

~AC
hmmm...ideally, you are supposed to get 11 psi wth 3.125. Do you have a mechanical gauge? And where do you get the reading from? You will get different reading at the blower outlet and the throttle opening.

In addition, Stillen SC instake is also restrictive and the it draws hot air behind the raditor. After the hot air is drawn, it has to go through 3 90 degree bents to the blower.
Old 01-14-2003, 01:57 AM
RBa

All I can say is if you have an autometer gauge, you will never see accuracy..

I am saving up for an APEX-i and labor.. I dun wanna go thru the hassle of installing it myself again..
Old 01-14-2003, 07:29 AM

hello Tan.
how's your new CAI and cat back???
Hey there, sounds like you're having a lot of fun with the SC . At least you're learning a lot!

I don't have a CAI yet because the shop I took it to couldn't figure out what to use to connect the SC to the MAF. The MAF tube is something like 3.25", and no hose coupler available would fit that. He said they'd have to special order it and it would cost a lot . I've searched Home Depots for rubber vacuum hose, but all they have is aluminum 4". I checked Pep Boys for the intake hose that Y2KevSE used, but it's 2.5" and pretty flimsy. It's plastic sheeting covering a metal coil. The one in his picture looks sturdier, but I can't find that anywhere.

It might be for the best, since I'm moving up north and I'll need the windshield washer fluid to get the ice off my windshield .
Old 01-14-2003, 08:22 AM
Jer

Yup, all plastic! I'm going to have to get off my lazy bum one day and order some replacements from someone... the belt has held up for about 28,000km's (I guess about 18k miles?) - but I haven't had the 3.33" for too long as it just went on in Nov. I shall keep my fingers crossed, and will have to get that gatorback soon hehe. If I don't do it in time I will be making my own submission to the mangled drive belt picture gallery

I hate pulleys and I hate belts, so I'm getting hands-on help hehe.

maxboost : no y-pipe!?!? That's a bloody nice number! I don't know if I'm smoking the crackpipe, but I only saw a 0.5 sec improvement over stock with just the S/C on at factory boost. After putting in the Y-pipe my times flew down by another 0.7-0.8 (and that magical 14.1 happened once too). The y-pipe made an insanely large difference for me that nobody else has seemed to have.. confusing...

you have the plastic tensioner pulley? How long have u had the belt on your blower? mine dies in 5000 miles.

let me know if I can help you in any way. And it is good to replace it before it snaps on you.
Old 01-14-2003, 11:32 AM

~AC
Well heck thats your problem right there the Y pipe. My car was running mid 14's all day, after getting my Y pipe back and your set up with a 3.25 pulley Hello 13.8. I dynoed 244HP @ 5.9PSI with a slipping belt
Old 01-14-2003, 04:59 PM

Hey there, sounds like you're having a lot of fun with the SC . At least you're learning a lot!

I don't have a CAI yet because the shop I took it to couldn't figure out what to use to connect the SC to the MAF. The MAF tube is something like 3.25", and no hose coupler available would fit that. He said they'd have to special order it and it would cost a lot . I've searched Home Depots for rubber vacuum hose, but all they have is aluminum 4". I checked Pep Boys for the intake hose that Y2KevSE used, but it's 2.5" and pretty flimsy. It's plastic sheeting covering a metal coil. The one in his picture looks sturdier, but I can't find that anywhere.

It might be for the best, since I'm moving up north and I'll need the windshield washer fluid to get the ice off my windshield .
Hey Tanman...

www.bakerprecision.com they have any damn tubing you could ever need, reducers, etc... kinda expensive, but not too crazy, their site is a chore to barrel through, you may just want to call them.
Old 01-14-2003, 05:55 PM

Originally posted by delio

Hey Tanman...

www.bakerprecision.com they have any damn tubing you could ever need, reducers, etc... kinda expensive, but not too crazy, their site is a chore to barrel through, you may just want to call them.
Thanks for the link, they have what I'm looking for. I probably won't order from them, but it gave me some good ideas to work with.
You're right, those are some expensive prices!

Old 01-14-2003, 08:28 PM

Hey there, sounds like you're having a lot of fun with the SC : D. At least you're learning a lot!
fun? fun for me...but gf and mom were worried to death. they thought that I had no idea what I was doing. Kevin even dropped by to take a look at my masterpiece. It is a good experience and I know I have to do it again soon...to fix the belt alignment problem. Damn Vortech!

I don't have a CAI yet because the shop I took it to couldn't figure out what to use to connect the SC to the MAF. The MAF tube is something like 3.25", and no hose coupler available would fit that. He said they'd have to special order it and it would cost a lot : eek:. I've searched Home Depots for rubber vacuum hose, but all they have is aluminum 4". I checked Pep Boys for the intake hose that Y2KevSE used, but it's 2.5" and pretty flimsy. It's plastic sheeting covering a metal coil. The one in his picture looks sturdier, but I can't find that anywhere.

where are u moving to? somewhere cold, eh? you better get some anti-freeze washe fluid or it will crack your washer fluid reservoir.

coming to sunny Cali for your 5spd conversion
Old 01-14-2003, 08:54 PM

Originally posted by Jer
Yup, all plastic! I'm going to have to get off my lazy bum one day and order some replacements from someone... the belt has held up for about 28,000km's (I guess about 18k miles?) - but I haven't had the 3.33" for too long as it just went on in Nov. I shall keep my fingers crossed, and will have to get that gatorback soon hehe. If I don't do it in time I will be making my own submission to the mangled drive belt picture gallery : )

I hate pulleys and I hate belts, so I'm getting hands-on help hehe.
that's pretty good miles with the belt....I would change the pulleys to metal ones when changing the belt.

I hope my threads will be helpful for you....Blackcat, Jay25's threads are also very useful. Since you've installed your own SC, this will be easy and smooth.
Old 01-15-2003, 06:19 AM

fun? fun for me...but gf and mom were worried to death. they thought that I had no idea what I was doing. Kevin even dropped by to take a look at my masterpiece. It is a good experience and I know I have to do it again soon...to fix the belt alignment problem. Damn Vortech!

where are u moving to? somewhere cold, eh? you better get some anti-freeze washe fluid or it will crack your washer fluid reservoir.

coming to sunny Cali for your 5spd conversion?
My mom gives me that same crap whenever she sees me working on my car. No confidence in my abilities! .

Wyoming, it's work related, and I'll have to use my car to travel between sites. I'm still considering putting in the CAI, but I've never lived anywhere cold so I don't know what it's like. I might have to put the windshield washer fluid back if my windshield ices or fogs a lot.

5spd conversion is looking less likely since I'll be in the cold and far from anyone. I might stop modding the Maxima since there's no one to show off to or race. I'll probably trade it in for a car with AWD to handle the cold weather. Hopefully the WRX STi .
Old 01-16-2003, 10:37 AM

Heh, I just read over this and noticed the complaining about CAI and the windshield washer resevoir.

http://members.rogers.com/punkface/sc6.jpg
http://members.rogers.com/punkface/sc7.jpg
http://members.rogers.com/punkface/sc9.jpg

There's some pictures of my custom windshield washer resevoir, complete with washer pump. It works fairly well, it doesn't shoot the washer fluid as far up the windshield as the stock one, but I live in Canada, and I've had to drive in snow & rain at least half a dozen times (more rain then snow -- I'm trying not to abuse the baby by driving in snow heheh). With a little custom work, you can have a CAI *and* washer fluid. Let me know if you want the part #'s
Old 01-16-2003, 11:50 AM

Originally posted by ereet
Heh, I just read over this and noticed the complaining about CAI and the windshield washer resevoir.

http://members.rogers.com/punkface/sc6.jpg
http://members.rogers.com/punkface/sc7.jpg
http://members.rogers.com/punkface/sc9.jpg

There's some pictures of my custom windshield washer resevoir, complete with washer pump. It works fairly well, it doesn't shoot the washer fluid as far up the windshield as the stock one, but I live in Canada, and I've had to drive in snow & rain at least half a dozen times (more rain then snow -- I'm trying not to abuse the baby by driving in snow heheh). With a little custom work, you can have a CAI *and* washer fluid. Let me know if you want the part #'s
You should post picture sc2, it gives a better idea of where the reservoir is mounted.

I think you're the first to use a MonsterFlow filter with the CAI. Not a bad idea...
Old 01-16-2003, 01:43 PM

My mom gives me that same crap whenever she sees me working on my car. No confidence in my abilities! : p.
me too....everytime I start to work on the car. she will constantly come to the garage to ask me if I know what I am doing or give me lesson that why do I turn my car into a problem maker. My gf already gave up on me.....I just have to make sure that she will have a DVD to watch before I start. Usually I ask her to watch a DVD with me and then in the middle of the movie, I will sneak out to the garage and work on the car here and there.

Wyoming, it's work related, and I'll have to use my car to travel between sites. I'm still considering putting in the CAI, but I've never lived anywhere cold so I don't know what it's like. I might have to put the windshield washer fluid back if my windshield ices or fogs a lot.

5spd conversion is looking less likely since I'll be in the cold and far from anyone. I might stop modding the Maxima since there's no one to show off to or race. I'll probably trade it in for a car with AWD to handle the cold weather. Hopefully the WRX STi :wiggle :.
good luck in Wyoming I hope they will get you a company car for you to travel. So you didnt have your washer fluid resevoir?? You took it off for the CAI install?

I never lived in any cold environment....winter here in sunny Cali is cold enough for me. Imagine if I moved to Wyoming....

WRX is a good choice! I would get the WRX than the Maxima if they came out a bit earlier. you cant wait for the Lancer Evo 7?
Old 01-16-2003, 02:44 PM

[B]

me too....everytime I start to work on the car. she will constantly come to the garage to ask me if I know what I am doing or give me lesson that why do I turn my car into a problem maker.[B]
That's exactly what my mom did!!! So I got mad at her and said I messed up the car and wouldn't be able to get to work and they'd fire me, and she got worried, so I said I was joking; she understood and hasn't bothered me about it since then .

Yeah, Wyoming should be strange. My company doesn't supply company cars, so I'll have to rent one and expense it or drive my own car and expense the mileage .

I'd rather have the STi since the Mitsubishi's have a bad reputation for reliability. If I'm driving around Wyoming, I need a reliable car. Don't want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere!
Old 01-16-2003, 02:48 PM

So you didnt have your washer fluid resevoir?? You took it off for the CAI install?
The shop removed the reservoir a month ago for the CAI install. Then they couldn't get the CAI to fit and I said I'd find the intake hose and go back. We left the reservoir off because I was supposed to go back soon, but I've been postponing it.