Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

CAI on a SC

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2003, 09:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

CAI on a SC

OK I am putting in my SC and doing the CAI mod at the sametime. I went to Home Depot to get this ProFlex coupling (brand Ferno) and could not find it. But I found a rubber hose that fits over the 3 1/2" pipe and on to the SC with a metal houseing and 2 SS hose clamps around it.

Is this what I am looking for?
Has anyone done this that can tell me what it looks like?
How hot the SC get? Will it melt the rubber?

Thanks in advanced
Old 02-01-2003, 10:01 PM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Re: CAI on a SC

Originally posted by LatinMax
OK I am putting in my SC and doing the CAI mod at the sametime. I went to Home Depot to get this ProFlex coupling (brand Ferno) and could not find it. But I found a rubber hose that fits over the 3 1/2" pipe and on to the SC with a metal houseing and 2 SS hose clamps around it.

Thanks in advanced
I saw the same items at Home Depot up here and so those are the ones I'll be using as well. I don't think heat will be a problem. The SC doesn't get as hot as the engine.
If you want those silicone hoses check out your local speed shop. The one I go to sells them by the inch.
Old 02-01-2003, 10:57 PM

I used stillen's 90 degree elbow (black) and faced it nearly straight down to the ground (5th gen). From there I connected black flex hose from home depot (looks like an enlarged version of the flex section on flexible straws), then connected the MAF, then the K&N sitting right behind the passenger side fog.
Using the 90 degree elbow, heat is not an issue. It should be fine with the hose you bought.

I forgot... On 5th gen SC's does the recirculation hose return the air before or after the MAF sensor??? Since I removed my BOV the car boggs a little at low rpms, I made mine return air before the MAF.
Old 02-02-2003, 09:54 AM

Originally posted by 20thdriven
I used stillen's 90 degree elbow (black) and faced it nearly straight down to the ground (5th gen). From there I connected black flex hose from home depot (looks like an enlarged version of the flex section on flexible straws), then connected the MAF, then the K&N sitting right behind the passenger side fog.
Using the 90 degree elbow, heat is not an issue. It should be fine with the hose you bought.

I forgot... On 5th gen SC's does the recirculation hose return the air before or after the MAF sensor??? Since I removed my BOV the car boggs a little at low rpms, I made mine return air before the MAF.
You want the inside diameter of all the tubing and filter to be at least as large as the SC intake port, 3.5". If it is smaller you are actually hurting performance and will loose power. The home depot stuff you guys are talking about is 3.5" outside diameter but under 3" inside diameter. If you skimp on the filter you will also loose power, it needs to be rated to flow the CFM you need, I add 20% because the filters get dirty and flow less after a while. I dont know if anyone else other than K&S can tell you the CFM rating of their filters.

I went to a boat supply store and bought a section of 3.5" inside diameter wet exhaust hose. I ordered a 3.5" mandrel bent aluminized steel exhaust pipe section. I fit all this together and with a K&N filter rated for the CFM I was flowing.

You can use this wep page to calculate the needed CFM. http://www.smokemup.com/auto_math/airflow.php Our 3.0L engine is 183 CI. Its a V6 of course and our redline is 6500. Leave VE and air temp set at what they are. As an example, at 10psi you need a filter rated for ~491CFM, add 20% and your filter should be ~589CFM. Call up K&N and give them that figure and tell them the dimensions you need with a 3.5" inlet and they can give you the part number and just order that filter from Summit or Jegs where its cheeper.

If your gonna do it do it right
Old 02-02-2003, 10:14 AM

I have done the mandrel bent 3 1/2 pipie and this part that I got at Home Depot fits ofer the piupe and the SC perfrectly, maintaing the inside diameter the same size as the SC so there is no restriction.
The filter that I got is a K&N RU-1784 I don't know the CFM rating on the filter.
Can you tell MardiGrasMax?
Old 02-02-2003, 12:24 PM

The filter that I got is a K&N RU-1784 I don't know the CFM rating on the filter.
Can you tell MardiGrasMax?
I dunno, a call to K&N will tell you.
Old 02-02-2003, 04:02 PM

Re: CAI on a SC

Thanks in advanced
I got some info last night and Napa sells 3 1/2 inch hose for $6 a foot so you can go with that or go a bit larger in diameter, and also instead of using one of those clamps you should use heavy duty T clamp to clamp the rubber exhaust hose to the lip of the blower

http://maxima.cardomain.com/member_p...=259227&page=2
Old 02-02-2003, 04:27 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Latin, the Proflex coupling is a 3 inch long by 3 inch diameter metal coupler (joins two sections of pipe or hose). You don't need it for the install, but it can be used.

MardiGras, the stock Stillen elbow goes from the 3.5" inlet on the SC down to a 2.5" pipe (the intake pipe). I think using a 3.5" hose is best, but using a 2.5" is the same as stock, except you get cold air with the CAI.

I searched everywhere for the intake hose and finally found it at O'Reilly's auto parts (used to be Hi-Lo). They actually have 3.25-3.5" intake hose (black plastic covering a metal coil) that can be adapted for the CAI. It was $10.
Old 02-02-2003, 05:51 PM

Originally posted by Tanman
MardiGras, the stock Stillen elbow goes from the 3.5" inlet on the SC down to a 2.5" pipe (the intake pipe). I think using a 3.5" hose is best, but using a 2.5" is the same as stock, except you get cold air with the CAI.
The part you are talking about is on the pressure side of the blower on a 4th gen set up. If you restrict the 3.5" inlet with a 2.5" tube you will loose some induction flow and the cold air effect will be negated from a loss of boost.
Old 02-03-2003, 12:43 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax

The part you are talking about is on the pressure side of the blower on a 4th gen set up. If you restrict the 3.5" inlet with a 2.5" tube you will loose some induction flow and the cold air effect will be negated from a loss of boost.
Dang, owned again. I always think in terms of the 5th gens.