Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

SC: Cold Air Intake, or Functional Hood?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 09:47 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

SC: Cold Air Intake, or Functional Hood?

Guys,

Hopefully Custommaxima will be coming out with a new hood fairly soon. He really loves the LS1 SS style scoop on the max, so that's probubly the design that will win. He told me that he's going to make it functional for us SC guys. How could that work? And what would be the pros/cons of it vs. a custom cai? I don't see how he could make it functional the way the blower is positioned, but it's very interesting to think about. I have a CAI right now and don't want to change unless the gains would be pretty significant.

Go here for more info on the hood.

Old 02-26-2003, 05:05 AM
Permanent Maxima.org Resident

the air can probaly be routed to the pancake filter but honestly, I think your better off with the cai and let the vent cool the manifold.
Old 02-26-2003, 05:37 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Also, look at the size of the pancake filter and the size of the filter that people use for their CAI's. There's no way the pancake filter can flow enough air to keep up with higher boost levels.
Old 02-26-2003, 05:51 AM
Jer

I second the post re. the WS6 hood : they should place the hood vents at the front! Much more functional that way.

Originally posted by ejj
Also, look at the size of the pancake filter and the size of the filter that people use for their CAI's. There's no way the pancake filter can flow enough air to keep up with higher boost levels.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Jer
I second the post re. the WS6 hood : they should place the hood vents at the front! Much more functional that way.

stay with your CAI set up, air runs right into the filter what more could you ask for
Old 02-26-2003, 10:17 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

I have three words as to why true ram air intakes are hard in our cars.

1) transversely
2) mounted
3) engine

WS6 is longitu...I can't spell today worth a ****... mounted, so the air actually flows into the engine the correct way...parallel, vs perpendicular in the FWD cars. More bends = less efficiency. It might still be enough to help, though...

That's just my opinion on the matter
Old 02-26-2003, 12:08 PM
Jer

True, the only things I have against it are the cutting to stick the intake in, and all the added dirt/crap/water that will get on there... depending on how you design it, something like a front-mounted air dam (ie. Ram air) would still be better in cleaning out what goes in before it hits your filter... if possible/fittable.

Originally posted by JAY25

stay with your CAI set up, air runs right into the filter what more could you ask for
Old 02-26-2003, 02:59 PM

I thought so. The CAI's filter is huge and it rams the air directly into the blower. The route for a functional ram air hood would be longer and complicated, and I don't see how it would be better then a CAI.

I wonder how the WS6 snouts would do...I don't know about the looks though. That will be interesting to see.
Old 02-26-2003, 03:30 PM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Last year I met a turbo'ed Ford Probe with a custom hood intake at a garage just like in Craig's photo.He had problems like accumulating lots of rain water, leaves and other crap on top of the engine. To preven the rain from shorting out the electricals he mounted a thin plexiglass sheet to deflect the rain away from the engine top.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by BlackCat
Last year I met a turbo'ed Ford Probe with a custom hood intake at a garage just like in Craig's photo.He had problems like accumulating lots of rain water, leaves and other crap on top of the engine. To preven the rain from shorting out the electricals he mounted a thin plexiglass sheet to deflect the rain away from the engine top.
Not only that, but I think the scoop in Craig's picture will function more like a pitot tube than a scoop. If you want a ram effect, then you need to place the scoop in a place where you can take advantage of stagnation pressure in the air stream, i.e. right up front somewhere. Or else you have to have it stick up significantly above the surface of the hood. The way it looks now, the high velocity airstream going over the hood will act to suck air out of the scoop from the engine bay. That in itself is not bad though, if it helps remove heat from the engine bay.

Other than that, I love the way it looks.
Old 02-27-2003, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by Stephen Max

Not only that, but I think the scoop in Craig's picture will function more like a pitot tube than a scoop. If you want a ram effect, then you need to place the scoop in a place where you can take advantage of stagnation pressure in the air stream, i.e. right up front somewhere. Or else you have to have it stick up significantly above the surface of the hood. The way it looks now, the high velocity airstream going over the hood will act to suck air out of the scoop from the engine bay. That in itself is not bad though, if it helps remove heat from the engine bay.

Other than that, I love the way it looks.
So you think it could be functional in regards to cooling the engine bay and dissipating the heat? That's better then nothing, and here in Florida it could definatally help. I want to see a prototype and especially prices...I think it's going to be a full hood and not just a cutout scoop, so I hope it won't rape $ wise.