Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.
View Poll Results: Which kit is better and why?
Nigel's
47.06%
Hal's
52.94%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Which turbo "kit" is better?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 11:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WHAT?!?!

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

Should done it my way.

I wish we were getting a free gauge.

I think Nig will splurge a bit and get us some free gauges. After all... what is it? Only 3 guys?!?! C'mon Nig!!!

Deac
Old 04-12-2003, 06:04 AM
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WHAT?!?!

Originally posted by Deac

I think Nig will splurge a bit and get us some free gauges. After all... what is it? Only 3 guys?!?! C'mon Nig!!!

Deac
3 guys? you not counting yourself in that?
Old 04-12-2003, 06:15 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WHAT?!?!

Originally posted by Deac

Deac
you guys about to get some free gauges?

can I get one too?
Old 04-12-2003, 06:59 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Nigel, I was NOT knocking you guys for qouting books, I was saying that as a compliment.

And yeah your correct on the heat issue. I just was saying if you BOTH would let the petty little dumb **** go, yall both could help MOST of us.

But I will stop there
Old 04-13-2003, 10:41 AM
i SeE what you did therE

Old 04-13-2003, 11:57 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

Unbiased analysis...

PFI
Cons
- need to cut metal bumper support
- need to drill holes into frame
- non-mandrel bend piping if you don't upgrade (pressure bends)
- tap oil return to valvecover
- may be missing parts
- bad instructions (I didn't even use the instructions) might be better now
- piping may be off

Pros
- T-bolt clamps
- engine bay looks clean after install
- "bolt-on" kit

HLH
Cons
- lose fog lights
- extra piping around turbo to TB
- piping hangs a bit low
- removal of stock fans for smaller fans
- exhaust piping runs next to the radiator (the left half)
- needs custom installation
- 2.5" down-pipe leading to 3" cat-back
- tap lower oil pan to return oil
- no flex section

Pros
- free install
- no need to cut bumper
- 3" cat-back included
- boost and a/f gauge included (a/f gauge is useless unless you like light shows)
- turbo timer included

just curious to know what u mean by free install.
Old 04-13-2003, 03:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by nadir_s

if you drive to the shop in kentucky you get free install
Old 04-14-2003, 06:54 AM
Langley AFB Sux

Wow.............

Guess I'll just up the shot then. Dont have the time or cash to deal with turbo issues. (yes i know things like this are'nt hassle free).....Specially since this is our only car
Old 04-14-2003, 07:59 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Free install can be a con or pro... but almost everyone will look at it as pro since cost has been included in the kit.

It's a con because if you run into issues and you live far away... you're somewhat screwed.
Old 04-14-2003, 08:41 AM

Free install can be a con or pro... but almost everyone will look at it as pro since cost has been included in the kit.

It's a con because if you run into issues and you live far away... you're somewhat screwed.
disagree, that's why you plan it out so if problems do arise you find ways around them....(rent or borrow a car for the time being in the shop). With all the headaches it saves with installing yourself, free install is definately worth it and saves$$$$$$$$
Old 04-14-2003, 09:34 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by johnvt1111

disagree, that's why you plan it out so if problems do arise you find ways around them....(rent or borrow a car for the time being in the shop). With all the headaches it saves with installing yourself, free install is definately worth it and saves$$$$$$$$
Not as easy as you say.

[edit]

Rent a car? That's money out from your pockets. How long will it take to fix a problem? You don't know...... two, three days.... maybe more. Another important question: Are you always going to drive to Kentucky if you live in say, Maryland?

You gain experience from installing the kit. You also can probably diagnose a problem easier since you will be somewhat familiar with it.

Free install is good if done professionally.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:37 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by carnal_c30

if you drive to the shop in kentucky you get free install
kev drove all the way to kentucky ?
Old 04-14-2003, 09:42 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

kev drove all the way to kentucky ?
I would not let anyone I do not know work on my car.

Hal's kit... you need to drive to Kentucky. PFI/Nigel's kit... you can install it in your own garage if you get the right parts.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:43 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

Hal's kit... you need to drive to Kentucky. PFI/Nigel's kit... you can install it in your own garage if you get the right parts.

ooohh i get it now
Old 04-14-2003, 02:07 PM
Former Sponsor

thats why I'll get a job at the local jiffy lube and demod your car while you let me do an oil change
Old 04-14-2003, 05:28 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by carnal_c30

thats why I'll get a job at the local jiffy lube and demod your car while you let me do an oil change :-)

So when are you coming up again? SoCal and Hal must be corrupting you.
Old 04-14-2003, 05:31 PM

So when are you coming up again? SoCal and Hal must be corrupting you.
Kev have you hit the track yet with your new setup, or any nice "closed course" runs? Very interested in what you've done to the car like to know how things are with it since you have so many goodies

john
Old 04-14-2003, 05:44 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Kev have you hit the track yet with your new setup, or any nice "closed course" runs? Very interested in what you've done to the car like to know how things are with it since you have so many goodies

john
YGM.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:41 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

YGM.
CARE to share again???
Old 04-14-2003, 06:47 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

YGM.

Keep on trying RICE boy.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:13 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by bags533

CARE to share again???
Originally posted by IceY2K1

Keep on trying RICE boy.

John can post my response if he wishes... nothing important to move along.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:07 PM

Plus renting a car isnt as easy if your state has an age limit that you havent met yet. 25 in Texas to rent a car. Then what?
Old 04-15-2003, 01:12 PM
Cumalittle

Originally posted by max88q
Plus renting a car isnt as easy if your state has an age limit that you havent met yet. 25 in Texas to rent a car. Then what?
negative partner...21 is the age...

Old 04-15-2003, 02:23 PM

Originally posted by Cumalittle

nuh uh for real!!! Dang Im 21 did this change recently?
Old 04-15-2003, 02:28 PM

well either way, if you do it yourself or in the shop, I'm saying you have to be prepared to find other ways of transportation since it definately isn't a one day job!
Old 04-15-2003, 04:55 PM
Cumalittle

Originally posted by max88q

nuh uh for real!!! Dang Im 21 did this change recently?
i dunnoe...but when i was in an accident...enterprise just asked me if i was atleast 21 and insured...this is in houston...

Old 04-19-2003, 02:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

dont waste uer money on nigels kit, waste it on hals, cuz hals is way better!!!
Old 04-19-2003, 08:17 AM
dmontzsta

Originally posted by passat8mycash

Old 04-19-2003, 01:03 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by passat8mycash
Do you even know what your talking about, i would rather have a kit that doesn't give me any problems than one that was obviously not planned very well. Pfi the company designed the kit is a very well known performance shop in the import world, Their kit was designed alot better than Hals, im sorry but the turbo placment with hals is way to close to the engine and hoses, which causes melting, baggs has already seen this, with the auto kit the piping runs under the tranny pan loosing clearance plus the work that the shop does to install it is crap. I would rather have a company that desings kits for many cars and proven that they work install a turbo on my car, i would rather deal with small little issues than **** melting and breaking on me. Im not trying to bash you in any way hal but i just think that their could have been a little more planning involved with your kit. Just for the record i was very temtped to go with hals until i talked to the guys at pfi and they showed me what was wrong with it, and to anyone that has issues with pfi's work i have had no problems with the install job, it is very clean and nothing has failed on my car yet.

Ryan
Old 04-19-2003, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by Cumalittle

25 in CT
Old 04-19-2003, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by dafro

Do you even know what your talking about, i would rather have a kit that doesn't give me any problems than one that was obviously not planned very well. Pfi the company designed the kit is a very well known performance shop in the import world, Their kit was designed alot better than Hals, im sorry but the turbo placment with hals is way to close to the engine and hoses, which causes melting, baggs has already seen this, with the auto kit the piping runs under the tranny pan loosing clearance plus the work that the shop does to install it is crap. I would rather have a company that desings kits for many cars and proven that they work install a turbo on my car, i would rather deal with small little issues than **** melting and breaking on me. Im not trying to bash you in any way hal but i just think that their could have been a little more planning involved with your kit. Just for the record i was very temtped to go with hals until i talked to the guys at pfi and they showed me what was wrong with it, and to anyone that has issues with pfi's work i have had no problems with the install job, it is very clean and nothing has failed on my car yet.

Ryan
what makes you think Hal hasn't thought out his turbo very well, it's basically the same price, comes with more, and get more h/p out of it.......so saying something isn't thought out isn't right, you guys are knocking hal, i'm pretty neutral, it's what you make out of it, how you tune it, and other goodies you add.........i think this thread is kinda out of order with people taking sides
Old 04-19-2003, 05:20 PM

what makes you think Hal hasn't thought out his turbo very well, it's basically the same price, comes with more, and get more h/p out of it.......so saying something isn't thought out isn't right, you guys are knocking hal, i'm pretty neutral, it's what you make out of it, how you tune it, and other goodies you add.........i think this thread is kinda out of order with people taking sides
Get more hp out of hals kit?, i havn't seen one dyno except for bigdogjonx and it was not higher than any of pfi's kit #'s. yes it may come with more but at what price, having hoses metled pipes bent boost pipes coming off hoses that aren't the right size. I just think that it could have been thought out a bit more and the people that are installing it doing a more proffessional job. Now im not knocking hal at all, its great that he came out with the kit to give more options to us, i just feel that it could have been planned a little better.
Old 04-19-2003, 05:25 PM
¿Hablas Español?

[B]

with the auto kit the piping runs under the tranny pan loosing clearance
If you think it's any different with a PFI kit for a manual 4th gen, you're deluding yourself. I'll honor the gentleman's agreement to not post pics but I lost a fair amount of ground clearance with a PFI 5spd system as well.

plus the work that the shop does to install it is crap.

I can only comment that I installed the PFI system myself because, hey, why not, "It's just a weekend thing." Not sure if Nigel is reading but I'd still like to know whether he's basing this thought on his own, solo, and actual installation of a 4th gen kit or if it's based on his understanding of the kit. If he did do it, did he do it at his own home, with his own tools, and the provided instructions?

I would rather have a company that desings kits for many cars and proven that they work install a turbo on my car, i would rather deal with small little issues than **** melting and breaking on me.

I agree with you there, but there is also a breaking point on the "small issues" when you pay dammned close to $5,000 for a "bolt-on" and "weekend thing" kit.

I'm not trying to bash you in any way hal but i just think that their could have been a little more planning involved with your kit. Just for the record i was very temtped to go with hals until i talked to the guys at pfi and they showed me what was wrong with it, and to anyone that has issues with pfi's work i have had no problems with the install job, it is very clean and nothing has failed on my car yet.

Ryan
So it sounds like you had PFI do the install. How long did they, the shop that designed and custom fit this sytem, have your car?

Did you have to take it back after the initial return to you? If so, for how long and/or to have what issues addressed? Did you ever have to reschedule your install while they waited for the right parts to arrive? Did you tap your valve cover or the oil pan? Did you look to see whether they forced a 1/8 standard pipe thread into the 1/8" BSP fittings?

What all did you have them install? Maybe part of the deal with a PFI kit should be that you take your car to Ft. Collins for installation by the experts at PFI.
Old 04-19-2003, 06:20 PM

Originally posted by joaquink

So it sounds like you had PFI do the install. How long did they, the shop that designed and custom fit this sytem, have your car?

Did you have to take it back after the initial return to you? If so, for how long and/or to have what issues addressed? Did you ever have to reschedule your install while they waited for the right parts to arrive? Did you tap your valve cover or the oil pan? Did you look to see whether they forced a 1/8 standard pipe thread into the 1/8" BSP fittings?

What all did you have them install? Maybe part of the deal with a PFI kit should be that you take your car to Ft. Collins for installation by the experts at PFI. [/B]

Yes i had pfi do the installation of the entire kit, They had my car for 5 weeks only b/c it was the first automatic they had done and they where trying a bunch of different setups for the piping (alot less room to work with due to the size of the auto trasmission). I have talked to them about install now on the kits and they told me that a week as long as all the parts are in stock, and it will be alot easier now that there exhaust guy is moving into a shop a couple buildings down. also i tapped the valve cover on mine and havn't had any issues.
Ryan
Old 04-19-2003, 06:48 PM
¿Hablas Español?

They had my car for 5 weeks only b/c it was the first automatic they had done and they where trying a bunch of different setups for the piping (alot less room to work with due to the size of the auto trasmission).

Fair enough to make the modifications and get piping from their source. From what you're saying it sounds as if they don't make/bend the piping themselves to that's understood.

I have talked to them about install now on the kits and they told me that a week as long as all the parts are in stock, and it will be alot easier now that there exhaust guy is moving into a shop a couple buildings down.

So, the PROFESSIONALS WHO DESIGNED THE KIT FROM THE GROUND UP SAY IT WILL TAKE AT LEAST 1 WEEK (IF (that's a really big if based on my experience) ALL PARTS ARE IN STOCK.)

also i tapped the valve cover on mine and havn't had any issues.
Ryan
Same here and no issues either other than the tapping itself. What size line did they run for you and what size fitting did they use? I can get you a non-tapered, non garden-hose-repair-kit barb in a 5/8" or 3/4" fitting for the valve cover if you'd like. Just let me know whether they drilled and tapped a 1/2" or 5/8" NPT hole there and the i.d. of the hose you're running if you want to change it. Mine was tapered 1/2" brass at the valve cover and a 3/4" steel nipple at the turbo.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:47 PM
UCF Lexus

Ssr Engineering
Old 09-25-2003, 08:11 PM

It doesn't exist yet though right?

Originally Posted by bijan gxe
Ssr Engineering
Old 10-12-2003, 10:55 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

This thread is acting weird... I'm going to lock it.