Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

I need some faith from the gurus

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2003, 07:28 PM

I need some faith from the gurus

Hey guys, I have some boost questions for ya. I'm sorry if these have been asked before (I'm sure they already have) but I'm thinking of selling my max if I can't make some more power. I know boost is the answer, I just have some questions.

1. Turbo or SC - I want to make some real power. I'm sick of 14s. My car before the max was a grand national so I've been used to 12s. The car was cheap, upgrades were cheap and rewarding, and the anatomy of the car in general was exceedingly simple. I'm kind of new with the imports and I don't know as much about their drivetrains as I should. I want to make as much power as possible with the lowest cost and the greartest possibilities for future upgrades. With no sacrifice to reliability of course. Sounds impossible but hey

2. I have a 98 with an auto. Is it possible to make this work with the extra power with upgrading the VB and/or TC, or would it be wiser to switch to manual. Do the tranny conversions work out ok or...you know. I remember I had to really work my GN's tranny after my TA-49 upgrade ( I actually had to swap it altogether but hey, GM trannys like that are dirt cheap). I figure the same works here.

3. What other recommendations do you guys have for me? Does anyone try out different combinations and get results? I know I may be expecting far too much from a 4-door sedan, I just want to know what's possible. I bought the car for commuting purposes, and it did a GREAT job. But now that I'm transferring schools I no longer need a commuter. I want to know if I can make this car the beast I desire ( I would LOVE to rock the streets with a 4 door animal ) or should I move on to different pastures. You guys are f'ing great and I know you'll help. Thanks.
Old 06-08-2003, 07:37 PM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

For max power, get a turbo... regardless of sc, or turbo, the auto is no match. Get ready to convert to a manual. It's the best solution hands down, unless you're a woman

Reliability wise, it comes down to how much boost you're running, but the sc will put less wear and tear since power is so linear...

All in all, it comes down to your driving style: How much you boost, how often you boost, how well you maintain the car etc...

I've run 11 lbs boost since December of 2002, on a brand new tranny, and it's assuredly on its way out; im converting to a 5spd. On the same token, there's guys who have run boost on autos for a very long time with no probs. I've run synthetic fluid with a stage III Valvebody and tranny cooler the whole time. I've also drained/ filled 6 quarts along with each oil change... and yet my tranny decides to quit...

Good luck
Old 06-09-2003, 11:06 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

if you want boost.. scrap the max... period.

Find a nice 1990-ish rx7 and build it from scratch or any car thaat was turbo'd from the factory.

I know most will disagree wiht me , but the best way is to build on the stock platform... and boost in a max is nice, but there are to many cars that can be built fopr cheaper and have better results
Old 06-09-2003, 01:19 PM

If you want to take price...then you should have custom made your kit...alot of people have built there kit, for almost half what u payed leaving harolds shop
Old 06-09-2003, 03:04 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally posted by MaxSpeedSE
If you want to take price...then you should have custom made your kit...alot of people have built there kit, for almost half what u payed leaving harolds shop

Take ? or talk??

and what I paid and what I have paid and what I am going to pay was not brought into question..

if you wanna take a shot at me, I'll give you my address and you can come by and try it that way.

I am not sure why I got that response, but I hope your next one is in a PM or email
Old 06-09-2003, 03:43 PM
pMB

hello bags533. Erik told me you are doing the wonders with turbo on automatic...

I don't think maxima can handle all that power b/c the suspension sucks. (rear, especially)

Get a supra. Rotary blows up all the time. Inline 6 (new BMW or supra) is the best way for upgrading speed. Frankly, I think Nissan's losing the HP war b/c of slacky development.

That VQ is 10 years old. I think it's time to move on to inline 6 engines, way more efficient and reliable. But I am not complaining.
Old 06-09-2003, 03:46 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally posted by pMB
hello bags533. Erik told me you are doing the wonders with turbo on automatic...

I don't think maxima can handle all that power b/c the suspension sucks. (rear, especially)

Get a supra. Rotary blows up all the time. Inline 6 (new BMW or supra) is the best way for upgrading speed. Frankly, I think Nissan's losing the HP war b/c of slacky development.

That VQ is 10 years old. I think it's time to move on to inline 6 engines, way more efficient and reliable. But I am not complaining.
yeah I should have posted ANY stock turbo car.. just used it as an exapmle... you can get a good body from a junk yard and get a new tranny and engine

erik talking about me again.. wonders, huh??? he is full of BS again

yeah, I hope to see erik do REAL wonders in the coming months... where you located?
Old 06-09-2003, 06:33 PM

I hear a lot of you guys talking about the inline six's. These are definately good, but has eveyone forgotten about the good ole' V8's? It's just that the cars you guys are talking about (rx7s, supras, bimmers) are oh so expensive to modify. And God forbid something should break, high repair costs. Take a Mustang GT for example ( I am NOT, I repeat, NOT a mustang fan): that is a good 14 sec car off the lot with 260 horses. From what I'm told, they'll do 12s with 270 rwhp. That extra power can be made cheaply an easily, a Vortech costing the same amount as the one for the max will give it an extra 104 hp. We're talking some serious speed here. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-09-2003, 06:47 PM

Originally posted by bags533

Take ? or talk??

and what I paid and what I have paid and what I am going to pay was not brought into question..

if you wanna take a shot at me, I'll give you my address and you can come by and try it that way.

I am not sure why I got that response, but I hope your next one is in a PM or email
You read it all wrong... You posted that the maxima isent worth bosting cuz its too much money... I was just saying, that thats now all in tru, that it can be done for less money if he knows how to make the kit him self witch alot of people are doing and saving money by. Kinda snapy...have a bad day bags?
Old 06-09-2003, 06:49 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Yeah, the Wankel motor very temprimental when it comes to running hot. A rubber gasket is all that seperate combustion chamber from water jacket. That's why Mazda isn't bringing back a turbo engine in it's new rotary. But keeping to the subject, I dont think anyone has known the full potential of the Max engine. Many have had the Stillen SC for years but played it safe and kept the boost low until recent year when boost has been turned up and turbo kits have been develope. As mentioned a inline 6 has always been a nice platform for building boost since you miss that GN experience.
Old 06-10-2003, 03:36 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

You read it all wrong... You posted that the maxima isent worth bosting cuz its too much money... I was just saying, that thats now all in tru, that it can be done for less money if he knows how to make the kit him self witch alot of people are doing and saving money by. Kinda snapy...have a bad day bags?
suit yourself...

I did not read it all wrong, you stuck your mouth into a place where it does not belong.. nuff said

I did not say too much money, and if you wanna "quote" me.. get it right

compare how much money you or anyone is gonna spend on their max to that of a supra/240/VW/rx7/3000gt/300z

also take into acount the amount of HP per dollar.. the orginal poster is not set on his max....

and if you wanna try and continue this start your own thread or post up in off topic
Old 06-10-2003, 05:18 AM

Originally posted by bags533

suit yourself...

I did not read it all wrong, you stuck your mouth into a place where it does not belong.. nuff said

I did not say too much money, and if you wanna "quote" me.. get it right

compare how much money you or anyone is gonna spend on their max to that of a supra/240/VW/rx7/3000gt/300z

also take into acount the amount of HP per dollar.. the orginal poster is not set on his max....

and if you wanna try and continue this start your own thread or post up in off topic
Ok now you ****ed me off!
First off, any one of thoes cars u listed would not be cheeper to build becuase thoes cars alone are worth well twice or somtimes 3 times worth what the maxima is worth. What we pay alone in the turbo, by far makes up what were not paying for in our cars and insurance.

2nd you did say to get rid of the maxima, and how turbo is too much money. not flat out, but you implied it

if you want boost.. scrap the max... period.

Find a nice 1990-ish rx7 and build it from scratch or any car thaat was turbo'd from the factory.

I know most will disagree wiht me , but the best way is to build on the stock platform... and boost in a max is nice, but there are to many cars that can be built fopr cheaper and have better results

And once agian, like i said, defending the fact that u were wrong and boost can be built for cheeper, if one makes it them self.

If you want to **Talk** price...then you should have custom made your kit...alot of people have built there kit, for almost half what u payed leaving harolds shop
*** Hole
Old 06-10-2003, 01:08 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Ok now you ****ed me off!
First off, any one of thoes cars u listed would not be cheeper to build becuase thoes cars alone are worth well twice or somtimes 3 times worth what the maxima is worth. What we pay alone in the turbo, by far makes up what were not paying for in our cars and insurance.

2nd you did say to get rid of the maxima, and how turbo is too much money. not flat out, but you implied it

And once agian, like i said, defending the fact that u were wrong and boost can be built for cheeper, if one makes it them self.

*** Hole
Check your PM.. my fault for misunderstanding

BUT I am still an A-hole