Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Installing Electronic Boost Controller WITH Wastegate Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2003 | 07:42 PM
Ramius83

Installing Electronic Boost Controller WITH Wastegate Questions

Ok, I am about to install the Blitz SBC-ID Version 3 boost controller. Now, I have heard some different things here. The Tial wastegate that comes with my kit comes with a standard 7-9 pound spring. Do I have to purchase the biggest spring possible in order to use the boost controller, or do I need the smallest spring that I can get, or can I just leave the 7-9 pound spring in the wastegate and let the boost controller do its thing? Thanks guys....

BTW, if I have to get a different spring, where EXACTLY do I purchase them? Thanks again......
Old 07-20-2003 | 09:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You want to put in the lowest spring possible. Lets say you have that 7-9 pound spring, lets say the actual boost is around 5psi at the lowest setting on the wastegate since you will have some psi loss in the intercooler and piping. Now if you hookup the boost controller, you can set it to say 3psi max but it will actually be at 5psi because of the spring in the wastegate. Lets say you set it at 10psi max, then 10 will be the max cause it will fool the wastegate in what the actual psi is from the turbo to raise it in a sense. Same way a manual works in.

So basically, if you never plan on going below the lowest setting with just the spring in there, then you have no problem. Stay with the spring you got.

Dixit
Old 07-20-2003 | 10:01 PM
Ramius83

Ok, so I need a VERY small spring, any idea where I can get that lol?

Thanks Dixit. I should be able to stop by tomorrow evening to drop off the tool and to talk to you more about your "plans".
Old 07-20-2003 | 10:20 PM

why you want a very small spring? How low you want to be able to maintain on the boost controller on any given day? You really want to be able to dial in 3-5psi of boost?

http://www.hpmotoring.com/hpo_car_ca...ry_name=engine This place supposedly has them, but I think you gotta call them.

Just let me know when you plan on dropping by.

Dixit
Old 07-20-2003 | 10:35 PM
Ramius83

Dixit, I would like to start out low. And since I do have a decent boost controller, whenever I want to go up, I will just have to dial it in. Since I "may" have the 3-5 pound spring, the boost controller will see the 3-5 pounds already. So, if I just turn down the spring all the way to 3 pounds, the boost controller will see the 3 pounds and I can tune/adjust from there. I just want to make sure that when I dial in, say 10 psi, that I am ACTUALLY getting 10 psi and not 13 psi based off the 3 pound spring, you know? Thanks again.
Old 07-20-2003 | 10:39 PM

When you dial in 10, you will get 10 for sure at the intake manifold (as long as thats where you have your T for the lines).

Just makes it hard to understand with that spring. Like if you had the 1bar spring in there (14.7psi) and tried to dial in 10psi, you wont get it, your starting point will be 14.7psi and up. Basically whatever the lowest you can get on the spring is where your starting point will be.

Dixit
Old 07-21-2003 | 03:32 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

erik - leave the 7-9 spring in there.

Just back the screw out as much as possible

You'll be fine.. 5-6 PSI is where you wanna start..

BTW when is a good time to come by? what day this week? I wanna see your ride
Old 07-21-2003 | 06:09 AM
Ramius83

Hey Bags. Actually, my kit should be in the mail today or tomorrow. So I do not know when it is coming in exsactly. But I do want to have all the electronics for it installed before then. I have to install this Blitz SBC-ID Version 3, Blitz Powermeter version 3, and Blitz DTT DC turbo timer lol. I just finished installing the boost gauge in the triple gauge pillar yesterday. And, I am waiting for a transmission component to get fixed so I can put in my tranny with the new ACT clutch disk. I will let you know definitely when I go to install everything.

BTW, you say to just stick with the 7-9 pound spring?
Old 07-21-2003 | 06:20 AM

Dude, to be honest, don't waste your time with springs. I am willing to bet that even if you buy the lower psi spring, your boost will be up and stay up! I had the same feeling as you. I had low psi as 6-7 psi and high at 10 psi. Guess where my boost controller was set 95% of the time ... actually it ended up at 12psi . At around 4 psi, you basically don't feel much (first time you drive it you will, then your butt dyno gets recalibrated).
Old 07-21-2003 | 09:10 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

YES 9 LB SPRING

6 PSI IS WHERE YOU START TO FEEL POWER

Trust ME on this one. I have been from 2 PSI- 9 PSI