Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Gen 4: Beefed up 5-spd tranny or 6-spd ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 03:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Gen 4: Beefed up 5-spd tranny or 6-spd ???

Well, I need a new tranny after my last visit to the track. It was starting to act funny but last night was the straw the broke the camel's back.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=242744

Well, now I have gotten a couple of quotes for a rebuilt tranny and I have decided to provide my own clutch (ACT street probably) and flywheel (UR or Fidanza lightened flywheel). But I want to know for the guys here running boost, who would be putting the most strain on their tranny, if any of you have any other suggestions on how to beef up the tranny - better synchros, gears, etc?

For clutch and flywheel, am I on the right train of thought here with the ACT stage 1 clutch and the UR or Fidanza flywheel (which one is better?)

Is there any company that makes a whole beefed up tranny for the 5-spd? I have a 1995 Maxima SE btw.

Is it possible to get the 6-spd tranny in there?

Hope I can get some advice from you guys. Time is of the essence here.

Thank you.
Old 08-21-2003, 08:33 PM

Well I can tell you that if you can I would put the 6 speed tranny in. Jeff at Maximum Tunung is running a 2K2 6 speed tranny in his max right now. Give him a call and see how much he would charge to do it. But I'll tell you this much, he stated to me that its not something he would like to do again but ask him anyway.
Old 08-21-2003, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by mforrest100
Well I can tell you that if you can I would put the 6 speed tranny in. Jeff at Maximum Tunung is running a 2K2 6 speed tranny in his max right now. Give him a call and see how much he would charge to do it. But I'll tell you this much, he stated to me that its not something he would like to do again but ask him anyway.
I heard that the 6-spd tranny will drain too much power... so maybe I will stick with the 5-spd... but in that case is there anyone who makes a beefed up aftermarket tranny for Maximas - or would I have to stick with a Nissan tranny?

Also, I have a 1995 SE from the US which does not have LSD. However I live in Canada... so would I be able to swap in a new tranny that is VLSD (which is what the Canadian SEs have)?
Old 08-22-2003, 04:50 AM

I'll sell you my tranny! supports 360 crank horsepower with no clutch slipping and lets you eat a hamburger & drink a pop at the same time while shifting gears!
Old 08-22-2003, 05:25 AM

Originally posted by ereet
I'll sell you my tranny! supports 360 crank horsepower with no clutch slipping and lets you eat a hamburger & drink a pop at the same time while shifting gears!
Autos are for grannies
Hey man are you on the TMEC forums at all? You should join there. I posted my track performances from Wednesday and also a more detailed thread on this tranny problem.
Old 08-22-2003, 06:56 AM

Originally posted by speedemn

I heard that the 6-spd tranny will drain too much power... so maybe I will stick with the 5-spd... but in that case is there anyone who makes a beefed up aftermarket tranny for Maximas - or would I have to stick with a Nissan tranny?

Also, I have a 1995 SE from the US which does not have LSD. However I live in Canada... so would I be able to swap in a new tranny that is VLSD (which is what the Canadian SEs have)?
Well in that case definitely go with the VLSD tranny. Swaps right in. Thats what I'm planning to do next spring.
Old 08-22-2003, 07:05 AM

Originally posted by mforrest100

Well in that case definitely go with the VLSD tranny. Swaps right in. Thats what I'm planning to do next spring.
If I go from non-LSD to VLSD, I think I will need to get the driver and passenger side axles as well as the tranny... ? I posted on another thread and that's what was mentioned.
Old 08-22-2003, 07:26 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by speedemn

If I go from non-LSD to VLSD, I think I will need to get the driver and passenger side axles as well as the tranny... ? I posted on another thread and that's what was mentioned.
Yeah you would need to swap the drivers side axle. A 6 speed would not drain more power. it is set up basicly the same just with an additional gear. However I do not know if the swap is possible. If it si I would love to have this done just for the novelty of it. But if it involved getting custom axles made and all the f@%$ that. Thirdly when I install another clutch I wil not be going back with the ACT HDMM kit. there are much chaper kits that boast the exact same parts.
(I.E. ACT uses Exedy discs) I think next time I am going with a Clutch Net setup like MardiGras did. Also you might think abotu purchasing a much cheap Exedy disc, Nissan throwout bearing and pilot bearing and then buy a ACT HD pressure plate. That way you have the HDMM kit without spending the same amount of $$.
Old 08-22-2003, 08:13 AM

Originally posted by plurco

Yeah you would need to swap the drivers side axle. A 6 speed would not drain more power. it is set up basicly the same just with an additional gear. However I do not know if the swap is possible. If it si I would love to have this done just for the novelty of it. But if it involved getting custom axles made and all the f@%$ that. Thirdly when I install another clutch I wil not be going back with the ACT HDMM kit. there are much chaper kits that boast the exact same parts.
(I.E. ACT uses Exedy discs) I think next time I am going with a Clutch Net setup like MardiGras did. Also you might think abotu purchasing a much cheap Exedy disc, Nissan throwout bearing and pilot bearing and then buy a ACT HD pressure plate. That way you have the HDMM kit without spending the same amount of $$.
ACT HDMM kit? Is that different from the stage 1?

I don't think I've heard of the clutch net setup - what does that involve?

I am considering Exedu simply because I have heard that the ACT stage 1 destroys 3rd gear... or should I stick with stock clutch?

Right now cost isn't as much a factor, as getting my car back on the road... I am car-less.
Old 08-22-2003, 10:19 AM
Jedi Knight

go stock on the clutch...better than losing your tranny over the ACT
Old 08-22-2003, 10:56 AM

Originally posted by nupe500
go stock on the clutch...better than losing your tranny over the ACT
What about Unorthodox Racing Stage 1?
Old 08-22-2003, 11:53 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

it's crazy to say that any clutch breaks any gear. Bad driving breaks transmissions. Besides if any gear is in danger it is 2nd gear. Also
look into cryo treatment of your gears. The only reason I am jaded with my
ACT is because I shreaded a disc within 3000 miles, but in all fairness I
was drivin it like I stole it.
Old 08-22-2003, 01:57 PM

Theres no point in getting a 6spd, all the gear ratios are damn near the same to 4th gear, all you gaining is the lower RPMs on the top gear on the highway.

Dixit