Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Preliminary Clutch and Quaife review

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 05:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Preliminary Clutch and Quaife review

So I finally got my car all back together again ... actually minus the turbo. I have gone back to naturally aspirated while the piping for the GT turbo is being done.

I just got a clutchnet clutch and decided to use that with my ACT pressure plate that I already had. I find engagement surprisingly smooth, but my clutch travel before reaching the "biting" point is very limited (only have about 1 inch travel). It may be due to the fact that it is a strange clutch and pressure plate combo. I have tried bleeding the heck out of the clutch, but it still feels a little spongy. The clutch is real heavy cos of the pressure plate. I think my left leg is going to be bigger than my right leg pretty soon if I drive this daily.

Next the Quaife. I haven't driven the car to its extremes yet, right now I am glad I got it in and working (after a year and a half of letting it sit in the box). I don't hear any of the whining noises some people complain about which is nice. I tried peeling out the tires, but it's not as easy any more without forced induction. I can't wait to try this with my turbo installed.

My car threw a MAF engine code P100 but seems to run fine (idles high though and load reading through OBDII reader is high 47% at idle which is wrong) I need to troubleshoot this more ... has anyone seen this before? Maybe my car just doesn't like NA anymore . I put my stock y pipe back on and put on a makeshift CAI, even stock it makes some decent power! My exhaust sounds very different without the turbo ... very loud under WOT

I want to give a huge thanks to Jay25 for helping me out lots over the phone and providing excellent instructions on how to get the Quaife installed. Also thanks a lot to Mardigras for the clutch recommendation. I had never even heard of clutchnet before. Definitely get a sprung hub if you ever want to use pucks.

My turbo should be installed by the weekend woohoo!
Old 09-16-2003, 07:46 AM

did you just buy the clutchnet clutch disk if so how much was it ive heard they are great clutches from all my honda friends i even got to drive my friends crx with one it was alot different than my stock max clutch and wasnt to harsh but he said he payed over 400$ for the kit
Old 09-16-2003, 07:01 PM

Quaife with turbo!!!!!

Tested system with turbo system today .... OMFG! It is soooo nice to have the quaife and the clutchnet clutch is awesome! It seems to hold good power! I totally roasted my tires today (accidentally) when I released the clutch and left people 1/4 mile behind in a black smoke cloud from both tires!

My MAF seems to be OK now ... guess it only likes boost! I can't get that check engine light to come back on! WEIRD!

GT turbo has a weird oil return so guess It'll have to wait!
Old 09-16-2003, 10:45 PM

So your MAF is now acting like a crack fein, if you dont give it boost it will through a code on you. LOL. How much was that clutchnet clutch you got Nigel. Im looking into one so when I get home and do my auto to manual swap.
Old 09-17-2003, 09:55 AM

is the one you got similar to this one http://www.clutchnet.com/new_page_2.htm
if this would work with my act extreme presure plate i might do this did you figure out you pedal issue yet
Old 09-17-2003, 11:22 AM

Yup this is the clutch!

With regard to the pressure plate issue, I had some people race cars take a feel and they said it is normal. The travel when you release the clutch is very short maybe because of how EXTREME this clutch is. I also suspect that the fact that I resurfaced my flywheel (though not much) has a little to do with it.

The pressure plate itself is VERY heavy. I don't really recommend this if you drive daily in heavy traffic unless you want your left leg to be twice as big as your right leg lol ... but for sure your clutch won't slip .

As far as cost is concerned, I think they go for around $400 for the Clutchnet clutch and pressure plate, Mardigrasmax would be able to give a more accurate number for the entire kit. I just got the clutch and not the pressure plate.

I am sure my combo will hold over 500ft-lb torque.

Originally Posted by subs1000w
is the one you got similar to this one http://www.clutchnet.com/new_page_2.htm
if this would work with my act extreme presure plate i might do this did you figure out you pedal issue yet