Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

CJWT ECU and trading out.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 08:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

JWT ECU and trading out.

Person A has a SC but no aftermarket ECU - MAF on the charged side (Engine side of the SC) <----the usual setup.

Person B has a Programmed JWT ECU with a MAF on the non-charged side (On the Filter side of the SC)

Person A Buys Person B's ECU - will he need to put his MAF on the non-charged side to make the JWT work properly?

(I'm pretty sure I know the answer - but may as well ask to be sure).

Thanks!
IanS
Old 10-28-2003, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by iansw
Person A has a SC but no aftermarket ECU - MAF on the charged side (Engine side of the SC) <----the usual setup.

Person B has a Programmed JWT ECU with a MAF on the non-charged side (On the Filter side of the SC)

Person A Buys Person B's ECU - will he need to put his MAF on the non-charged side to make the JWT work properly?

(I'm pretty sure I know the answer - but may as well ask to be sure).

Thanks!
IanS
Depends on what maf the ecu was programmed for. The Z32 maf has to go on the noncharged side, the A32 maf can be on the charged side. The ecu itself doesn't really care where the maf is, but you can't use an A32 maf with an ecu that has been programmed for the Z32 maf. And vice-versa.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:38 PM

Aw crud - I screwed up the suject line - any moderators wanna fix that?

Really?

JWT doesn't change the programming depending on where the stock MAF is?
Thought they would - alot more airflow to compute on the charged side.

Anyway - someone is checking some things out for me - I don't know at this point whether it's a Z32 MAF or a stock MAF we're talking about.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:49 PM

Airflow is airflow. If it's the stock maxima MAF, it shouldn't matter which side it's on.

I believe the reason for the Z32 MAF being on the non-charged side was due to ****-retentive MAF syndrome much like the 2002 MAF's.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:02 PM

The physics of it just don't make alot of sense to me I guess. I would expect there to be alot more airflow on the charged side, which would then screw up the readings.....if the ECU is programmed to read from the non-charged side.

But then again - it has to suck in as much air as it puts out, I suppose.

So - you guys are sure, right?

IanS
Old 10-28-2003, 11:31 PM

Its true the maf would read the same air flow on the charged or non charged side. However the MAF doesn't like turbulence, it causes inconsistant readings and erratic running. That is why its put on the non charge side, all FI nissans are like this. The ecu you have should have a label that tells you what injectors/maf that its programmed for.

The physics of it just don't make alot of sense to me I guess. I would expect there to be alot more airflow on the charged side, which would then screw up the readings.....if the ECU is programmed to read from the non-charged side.

So - you guys are sure, right?

IanS
Old 10-29-2003, 05:14 AM

That's right. The blower isn't making more air, it's pumping it faster than what the engine would normally suck in on it's own, hence the pressure buildup. But the same amount of air has to flow in at the blower inlet as what flows out at the other end.