Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Please Explain This One??

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 06:51 PM

Please Explain This One??

Ok... Since I install my GSS342 yesterday my EGT's improved dramtically... Under full boost at 4psi, egt's are 1100F-1150F and holding.... Before it would hover at 1450F.... I guess its safe to say I'm a bit rich.... However this evening, I was cruising at around 60mph and noticed my Check Engine Light... I ran the diagnostics and got codes 9-1 and 10-1... This means Front left and right O2 sensors.... Dam that bits!!!! I hope it's a glitch in the system dued to the Higher Fuel Pressure Pump??? Perhaps the system is trying to learn??? Not sure? Because, I find it hard to believe that both Left and Right O2 sensors would go bad at the same time.... If so, **** I wish I was this lucky playing Power-Ball....

Any how, I resetted the ecu and started the car up... Trouble codes are gone for now.... I'll keep my eyes on it to see if it will pop-up...
Old 03-09-2004, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Morfeus17
Ok... Since I install my GSS342 yesterday my EGT's improved dramtically... Under full boost at 4psi, egt's are 1100-1150 and holding.... Before it would hover at 1450.... I guess its safe to say I'm a bit rich.... However this evening, I was cruising at around 60mph and noticed my Check Engine Light... I ran the diagnostics and got codes 9-1 and 10-1... This means Front left and right O2 sensors.... Dam that bits!!!! I hope it's a glitch in the system dued to the Higher Fuel Pressure Pump??? Perhaps the system is trying to learn??? Not sure? Because, I find it hard to believe that both Left and Right O2 sensors would go bad at the same time.... If so, **** I wish I was this lucky playing Power-Ball....

Any how, I resetted the ecu and started the car up... Trouble codes are gone for now.... I'll keep my eyes on it to see if it will pop-up...

Just curious, where is your egt probe located??? 1450 would be too high if you ask me (for 4 psi anyway). Still somewhat safe as long as your probe is close to the manifold.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

it could be due to the extreme richness and not being able to lean the engine out at all

you should go to a dyno to tune your A/F ratio
Old 03-09-2004, 09:07 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

You can ruin the 02s by running way too rich.

I know at least once that happened. Pull your plugs and you'll see.

Also, what is your setup? SC? TC? FMU ratio? Injector size? Etc?
Old 03-09-2004, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by subs1000w
it could be due to the extreme richness and not being able to lean the engine out at all

Considering that he was running higher egts (lean or real rich) before the pump, and now runs cooler with more fuel, it doesnt make sense that he was running rich before.
Old 03-10-2004, 02:50 AM

The probe is located at the junction between the front and rear manifolds on the reverse Y. So yes its reading both banks.. The junction location of the probe is about 10-12 inches away from the front bank.. With repect to the rear it's about 2.5 feet.

Once at 4psi the egt would show 1300F on stock fuel pump... But if sustained for a lengthy period, it will peek at 1450F... I really noticed this peak during the winter... Summer is a differnt story.

Originally Posted by Julio
Just curious, where is your egt probe located??? 1450 would be too high if you ask me (for 4 psi anyway). Still somewhat safe as long as your probe is close to the manifold.
Old 03-10-2004, 02:56 AM

Well considering I need to get on a dyno, its extremely difficult to guesstamate how rich is rich.... And finding a dyno in my area is tough and very costly. I'm only running 4psi though... Perhaps the system is learning due to the fuel increase...

Originally Posted by subs1000w

Old 03-10-2004, 03:03 AM

I'm Turbo-charged, running stock fpr and injectors. Remeber, when this check engine light ocurred, i was in vacuum running at 60-70mph for about 45 min... I did not boost the car all night... EGT's in vacuum were about 950F-1000F. Also when I did boosted the car consistantly, the car did not bogged down for one bit.. It responded very well under load... EGT's were at 1100F. But I do understand that running way to rich will ruin 02s... I'll check plugs to verify.

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
You can ruin the 02s by running way too rich.

I know at least once that happened. Pull your plugs and you'll see.

Also, what is your setup? SC? TC? FMU ratio? Injector size? Etc?
Old 03-10-2004, 04:43 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

the GSS342 is the high pressure right? not the high flow. If so then the stock FPR will not be adequate.
Old 03-10-2004, 05:41 AM

Considering that he was running higher egts (lean or real rich) before the pump, and now runs cooler with more fuel, it doesnt make sense that he was running rich before.
No, Icey means he is running rich now, from the higher fuel pressure. Running rich will cover the O2 sensors with soot and cause them to malfunction, hence the codes. You can verify this by looking at your plugs, if they are black then the O2 sensors are too.

Coincidentally, I'm going through exactly the same issue right now. The short story is I fooled around and did something to make my car run so rich that it fouled out the plugs in a day's worth of driving. I fixed the problem and changed the plugs, but now I have a CEL for the left bank O2 sensor. Time to get out the propane torch and see if the old trick about burning the soot off a sensor really works.
Old 03-10-2004, 06:57 AM

[QUOTE=Stephen Max]No, Icey means he is running rich now, from the higher fuel pressure. Running rich will cover the O2 sensors with soot and cause them to malfunction, hence the codes. You can verify this by looking at your plugs, if they are black then the O2 sensors are too.

I know what he meant. I said he is running rich (now) right in the context you quoted me from:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Besides, this wasnt in response to Icy, it was remark directed towards subs.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:09 AM

Oh, sorry, I thought it was Icey that made the comment you responded to, but now I see it was subs.

But I don't see why you think he was running rich before? At 1450 F, he was just about right. I guess we're talking relative terms here. At any rate, he is definitely running way rich now if he's only seeing 1150 F when boosting.

[QUOTE=Julio]
Originally Posted by Stephen Max
No, Icey means he is running rich now, from the higher fuel pressure. Running rich will cover the O2 sensors with soot and cause them to malfunction, hence the codes. You can verify this by looking at your plugs, if they are black then the O2 sensors are too.

I know what he meant. I said he is running rich (now) right in the context you quoted me from:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Besides, this wasnt in response to Icy, it was remark directed towards subs.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:30 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Do you know what FMU ratio you're running?

If you can't get to a dyno, it may be worthwhile to buy a wideband 02 like Stephen Max has.

Originally Posted by Morfeus17
I'm Turbo-charged, running stock fpr and injectors. Remeber, when this check engine light ocurred, i was in vacuum running at 60-70mph for about 45 min... I did not boost the car all night... EGT's in vacuum were about 950F-1000F. Also when I did boosted the car consistantly, the car did not bogged down for one bit.. It responded very well under load... EGT's were at 1100F. But I do understand that running way to rich will ruin 02s... I'll check plugs to verify.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:39 AM

Oh, sorry, I thought it was Icey that made the comment you responded to, but now I see it was subs.

But I don't see why you think he was running rich before? At 1450 F, he was just about right. I guess we're talking relative terms here. At any rate, he is definitely running way rich now if he's only seeing 1150 F when boosting.

I wasnt trying to imply that he was running rich before.

But as you can see here:

Sorry for being confusing, i can talk wierd sometimes.

Like me now, I am running 370's with a Z MAFS, and my egts can get real high for 8.5:1 compression not boosted. But my egt probe is right in my manifold, which makes sense seeing as how i am running rich and getting high egts
Old 03-10-2004, 07:41 AM

But as you can see here:

Like me now, I am running 370's with a Z MAFS, and my egts can get real high for 8.5:1 compression not boosted. But my egt probe is right in my manifold, which makes sense seeing as how i am running rich and getting high egts. When i had my safc in, my egts would get as much as 150* lower if not more with a 10% decrease in fuel.

All i need now is my 370 program so i dont ruin my O2 sensor and burn out my valve seals.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:24 AM

But as you can see here:

Like me now, I am running 370's with a Z MAFS, and my egts can get real high for 8.5:1 compression not boosted. But my egt probe is right in my manifold, which makes sense seeing as how i am running rich and getting high egts. When i had my safc in, my egts would get as much as 150* lower if not more with a 10% decrease in fuel.

All i need now is my 370 program so i dont ruin my O2 sensor and burn out my valve seals.
Thanks, Julio, I was probably being a little dense, too.

One thing you say, though, has me puzzled. It is possible to have high egt's if you are very rich? Under what circumstances?
Old 03-10-2004, 12:09 PM

Thanks, Julio, I was probably being a little dense, too.

One thing you say, though, has me puzzled. It is possible to have high egt's if you are very rich? Under what circumstances?

When you are running very rich, it is possible for the unburnt fuel to ignite in the manifold it self, resulting in more heat than normal. Some people retard (through certain means) their timing right before a race to spool the turbo.
Old 03-10-2004, 02:07 PM

As of now I'm running stock FPR... I do have the Vortech SFMU, but not yet installed. I'm waiting on the fuel rail fitting from Srx7... As for the Wide-band 02, I will leave that option open incase the SFMU fails..

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
Do you know what FMU ratio you're running?

If you can't get to a dyno, it may be worthwhile to buy a wideband 02 like Stephen Max has.
Old 03-13-2004, 11:30 AM

but now I have a CEL for the left bank O2 sensor. Time to get out the propane torch and see if the old trick about burning the soot off a sensor really works.
im having the same damn problem. code p0155 wont go away. i took it to nissan they said my 02 is working correctly and they even changed it
they couldn't figure it out. so now there sending me to an electrician on mon, they think theres something wrong with my harness or the s/c fmu
theyre not sure...yo, morpheus hows that sfmu coming along, i'll try and link up later to see how shes running. remember your suppose to show me that turbo is the only way to go, im looking forward to seeing that baby run before you go crazy this summer with all the boost..
Old 03-14-2004, 07:07 PM

Hey CMAX... Yeah... Still waiting for that fuel rail fitting from srx7... I'll keep you posted on my progress...

Originally Posted by C MAX
im having the same damn problem. code p0155 wont go away. i took it to nissan they said my 02 is working correctly and they even changed it
they couldn't figure it out. so now there sending me to an electrician on mon, they think theres something wrong with my harness or the s/c fmu
theyre not sure...yo, morpheus hows that sfmu coming along, i'll try and link up later to see how shes running. remember your suppose to show me that turbo is the only way to go, im looking forward to seeing that baby run before you go crazy this summer with all the boost..
Old 03-30-2004, 07:35 AM
BUY MY CARS PLEASE!!!

Originally Posted by C MAX
im having similar problems every 3weeks i get cel 0303 & ive gotten 0703 once so i guess the 02 is fouled huh....
how did that torch remedy work stephan?
Old 03-30-2004, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by pawnstar12
im having similar problems every 3weeks i get cel 0303 & ive gotten 0703 once so i guess the 02 is fouled huh....
how did that torch remedy work stephan?
I haven't had a reoccurrence of the O2 sensor code since I fixed the rich mixture problem and reset the ecu, so I never had to try out the torch remedy. It may be worth a try, though, before spending money on new sensors, depending on how you feel about such things.
Old 03-30-2004, 08:03 AM
BUY MY CARS PLEASE!!!

f**k it i'll try it