Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Standalone for PFI customers

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005 | 05:31 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Does this setup run in parallel with the ECU? or is it a full standalone? Cause you mentioned having check engine lights in the begining, is this from the AEM or from the ECU?

Reason I ask if this retains full OBD-2 functions and gives you full control over ECU functions that are important to us, it will be a hit.

The Emanage and SMTx setups are not even close to this...
Old 11-20-2005 | 08:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

This is a partial standalone. It takes cam and crank signals from stock sensors (uses MAP sensor not MAF) and generates ignition and injector signals. It is piggy backed on the stock ECU, only because I didn't want to deal with having to set up less important things like radiator fan, A/C etc .. I have two codes 0201 and 0304 (0304 always comes up because of 0201 and O2 sensor signals, so if I defeat 0201, I defeat 0304)

It functions just like any AEM standalone does except you don't get to control your fans, A/C etc .. although you could wire them in yourself. It is waaay more flexible than any piggy back. We have run 1000 cc injectors on a car and made them idle like stock. Ignition can be controlled from -70 degrees to +70 degrees, you can run NOS maps rpm switches etc... May be emanage ultimate has some of these functions too. The only issue I have is with starting when the car has cooled for a while. Cold start is perfect, warm start is good. The main reason for it is the temp sensor is not in the block, it is in an aluminum pipe which gets colder faster than the block. A blip of the gas pedal gets rid of this issue.

you can control timing based on rpm/load
you can control dwell based on rpm
Anti-lag will be cool when I set it up ... no more lag!
O2 feedback set up for light loads ... perfect 14.7:1 so fuel consumption is like stock.
Different fuel maps for race and pump gas, can control with a switch
Automapping for A/F
retard ignition based on knock
ignition/fuel cut in over boost conditions.
Overboost fuel cut (to prevent blowing up you engine if it overboosts)
EGT inputs to control fueling, engine so that you don't melt a piston, valves etc ...

I love it!
Old 11-20-2005 | 08:43 AM

Nice job Nigel,you make me want to get this AEM,if I can affort and know what I'm doing,I'll get this.LOL!
Old 11-20-2005 | 11:15 AM

Are you interested in sharing your timing and ignition maps or are you going to keep them private?

thanks,
allen
Old 11-21-2005 | 02:31 AM

Well, all the CELs are dead! Woohoo! Let's see if they stay out! As far as maps are concerned, they will be public knowledge soon but I am not quite ready to release them yet.
Old 11-21-2005 | 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by turbo97SE
Well, all the CELs are dead! Woohoo! Let's see if they stay out! As far as maps are concerned, they will be public knowledge soon but I am not quite ready to release them yet.
Thanks, they would make my life a lot easier. I know it's a lot of work tuning a car and to make the maps public is a VERY nice thing to do for the community, many people will benefit from it in the future as more and more folks step up to a standalone system.

allen
Old 11-21-2005 | 07:25 AM

thanks nigel for the hard work.
Old 11-21-2005 | 10:09 AM
Nissan maniaco conpulsif

Mad props to you Nigel !
Old 11-21-2005 | 12:23 PM

OK, I just need to do some sensor calibration for cold/warm start. it was especially cold this morning. The car fired up first time very quickly, but it was a little shaky on the timing with slight hesitation, after warming up, it ran like a champ! All the CELs are dead and gone! Just need fine adjustments now and then dyno time! I also need to upgrade injectors!
Old 11-21-2005 | 12:32 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

What's your current engine/turbo setup Nigel?
Old 11-21-2005 | 12:59 PM
BUY MY CARS PLEASE!!!

so if your not gonna sell it will you help us with your base maps and wiring?
Old 11-21-2005 | 03:33 PM

Engine is stock+MEVI! Turbo is GT35R (T4 turbine).

I intend to start selling this. I have already started inquiries on harness cost, I don't want to make the harness ... I am too **** and it would take too long and therefore no one would want to pay for me making it!

It is likely to be in the $1900-$2000 price range though unless I can get the AEM boxes and harness for cheaper. calibrations will be locked. You can access all the fuel and ignition tables, NOS maps etc etc ... but the stuff that makes it work will be locked in hardware and software security. Each box will have its own special map that cannot be transferred except to those who are running the exact same box with the same security. AEM boxes/software are typically "open source" once you have one cal it can be made to work on another box. I have fixed that issue. The base fuel and ignition maps I will provide for everyone to see and share. you'd be surprised how much advance the stock ignition runs ... but then I suppose that's why our cars run so good just stock! please do not ask me if i will modify a box for you. I will not since I do not know the history of the box.

Thanks for the encouragement. It helps motivate me to get things done! I will be travelling again on business as always! So no more updates for 2 weeks! I am very happy with the progress I have made in the last 3 weeks or so, I am only sorry that i did not get it done earlier. I honestly had it done sooooo long ago (In spring it was stable already) except for the mapping! Geez! Oh well!
Old 11-21-2005 | 06:06 PM
BUY MY CARS PLEASE!!!

i just found out that aem does automatic transmission control!!! i vounlteer myself to be the lab rat
Old 11-22-2005 | 06:27 AM

Each box will have its own special map that cannot be transferred except to those who are running the exact same box with the same security.
The base fuel and ignition maps I will provide for everyone to see and share.
I'm a little confused about each box having it's own "special map" but the base maps being made public, can you clarify what you meant by that?

thanks
allen
Old 11-30-2005 | 06:42 AM

Originally, I had thought of each box having its own associated map that would only work on that specific box and could not be copied to another box. This can be done but would be too time consuming for me to set up. I have since decided that it is easier to only allow the cal to be copied to boxes with the same hardware security features so that people can share maps. Fuel and ignition maps will be open since people need to tune the thing therefore by default they will be public domain.

Originally Posted by allen22
I'm a little confused about each box having it's own "special map" but the base maps being made public, can you clarify what you meant by that?

thanks
allen
Old 12-09-2005 | 05:54 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Great work!

Great work bro! If you decide to sell units "pre-packaged" for Maxima's I am first in line to make a purchase (if you are still gauging interest as to who would buy). I am getting ready to have my turbo installed shortly and have been all over the map as to what management system to get.

I have been seeing Emanage Ultimate as nearest best things, but, if you sell the modified AEM or make your AEM findings public/shared, I will invest in an AEM.

Even if you don't sell units, sharing your knowledge is great for the Maxima community as a whole as we often get left out when civics, cobolts, focuses, etc. cars get most of the after-market attention. Only if the after market knew that Maxima owners would pay money for good products (at least in theory as we decided to buy a car worth $10000+ dollars over the usual rice rocket/go-cart mobile). And with the VQ30DE (i'm a 2001) we reap tremendous gains in HP/torque.

Keep up the great work, I know a lot of bros here appreciate what you are doing. If you are selling the unit in the near future, count me in. Regardless, I'm totally fascinated in how your project has been coming along.
Old 09-17-2007 | 02:15 PM

Bump, whats the status on this now? The last post was from 12/2005!

There was also this thread... http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=333373
Old 09-17-2007 | 03:25 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

PFI is dead, and turbo97se no longer has a turbo maxima. I think it's safe to say that this is LONG dead. /thread.