Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

What size Intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 10:50 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

What size Intercooler?

I thought that I bookmarked a recent thread about the proper intercooler size for our Max but I lost it. Could someone post the size? Thanks!
Old 08-24-2004, 12:03 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

As big as you can fit... to reduce backpressure... although most of it will be from piping.

If you are talking about fitting w/o cutting the bumper supports, etc... I'm not sure.
Old 08-24-2004, 01:18 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

"As big as you can fit" is typically the advice for a turbo, but not a SC.

The larger the core, the more volume to pressurize and thus more lag.

You'll need to drop down a pulley or two to compensate, however only if you can still go smaller without exceeding the SC max impeller speed.
Old 08-24-2004, 01:30 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

I may disagree with ya on that one.... goal is to reduce temperatures while having as close to no drop in boost.

Unless you have a grill the size of a semi truck it would be nearly impossible to introduce a "too large of a volume" intercooler that would give you lag (even on a supercharger which doesn't spool up).

Personally on our SC... I don't feel that FMIC are a viable option anyways... I'll leave this one open to debate but I don't see and evidence showing that there ISN'T *significant* boost loss due to piping (and/or core).
Old 08-24-2004, 01:33 PM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

I'm just looking for the dimensions, folks. It was posted here but not after the server crash.
Old 08-24-2004, 01:41 PM

Mine is 33x6x2.5..heres a pic..i know mine is a 3rd gen and you have a 4th gen but i hope this gives you an idea...thinking about going bigger though...still got enough room up top...

Old 08-24-2004, 02:34 PM

I fit a 24x12x3 inch core: 31" from tank to tank.

but I had to take a grinder to the back side of the bumper to take off the lip that sticks backwards on the lower edge. As well as cutting the hood latch support, which makes hood pins necesary

Nate
Old 08-24-2004, 02:46 PM

I think you are correct.

Using a 3L NA engine at 2000rpm injests ~105 cubic feet per minute, so a huge 0.5 cubic feet IC would take <0.3 seconds to be aspirated. Interesting....

However, I still call your V1/V2 a LAGcharger.

Originally Posted by Chunger
I may disagree with ya on that one.... goal is to reduce temperatures while having as close to no drop in boost.

Unless you have a grill the size of a semi truck it would be nearly impossible to introduce a "too large of a volume" intercooler that would give you lag (even on a supercharger which doesn't spool up).

Personally on our SC... I don't feel that FMIC are a viable option anyways... I'll leave this one open to debate but I don't see and evidence showing that there ISN'T *significant* boost loss due to piping (and/or core).
Old 08-24-2004, 03:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It takes a bit of doing, but you can route the piping to produce very minimal boost loss.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=328904

I saw a drop in boost pressure of only about .2 psi with this setup. Now if I can find an intercooler with only about one psi of loss, I think I can go with the 2.87" pulley and come out ahead.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:56 PM

If cost isn't a concern....

http://www.bellintercoolers.com/

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
It takes a bit of doing, but you can route the piping to produce very minimal boost loss.

I saw a drop in boost pressure of only about .2 psi with this setup. Now if I can find an intercooler with only about one psi of loss, I think I can go with the 2.87" pulley and come out ahead.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:19 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Originally Posted by Stephen Max

Looks nice...

I was going to cut around that area but from what I saw it was right over the frame (vertical wall) so I scraped the idea.

So the difference in PSI reading just after the SC outlet and at the TB is only 0.2 PSI? That IS negligible... the IC (if it is large enough) should only have about 0.25 PSI less drop.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Looks nice...

I was going to cut around that area but from what I saw it was right over the frame (vertical wall) so I scraped the idea.

So the difference in PSI reading just after the SC outlet and at the TB is only 0.2 PSI? That IS negligible... the IC (if it is large enough) should only have about 0.25 PSI less drop.
No, not exactly. Comparing boost pressures at the intake manifold from before and after the rerouting of the piping resulted in .2 psi difference. I'm datalogging using a GM 2 bar map sensor, so I have accurate before and after data to look at.