Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Exhaust cut-out questions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 12:20 PM

Exhaust cut-out questions?

I have a supercharger running 10psi and have been deciding on a cat-back exhaust to get but i love the sleeper look with the facotry muffler. I know a while back some people talking about a cut-out. If i remember correctly someone said there is an electronic one that when you turn it on a butterfly valve opens and you run a straight y-pipe, if so where can i get it from. I know it will be very loud, but i will only be using it when im racing so it really doesn't matter, and since it is electronic i would be able to turn it off and on with ease. And will it give me at least the same amount of horsepower as say a 3'' cat-back?
Old 09-10-2004, 12:26 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

http://www.mccordcg.com/mpp/mpp.htm

you'll also probably need a "Y-split" cutout pipe from Jegs or Summit
Old 09-10-2004, 08:35 PM

so would it give me as much power as a cat back exhaust because some of the exhaust is going to go through the cut-out but some is still going to go through my factory cat back. I dont know if it effects it at all or not, but just wondering if i should go for this or not. I could get the cut-out, an SAFC2, and get them installed for cheaper than the cat-back. Also, would you just remove the cat and put the cut out in its place?
Old 09-14-2004, 11:35 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by VQ30DES
so would it give me as much power as a cat back exhaust because some of the exhaust is going to go through the cut-out but some is still going to go through my factory cat back. I dont know if it effects it at all or not, but just wondering if i should go for this or not. I could get the cut-out, an SAFC2, and get them installed for cheaper than the cat-back. Also, would you just remove the cat and put the cut out in its place?
I have the Mccord Power Plate in my car. It's connected to a 2.5" Summit Racing cutout. And I welded the cutout in my 2.5" WSP Testpipe in place of my cat.

I don't think anybody can tell you if having this cutout will be the same as a 3" catback. But, my guess is, yes, it will be very close to having a 3" catback. But, since I've never had a 3" exhaust, I can only assume that the characteristics will be close ... loss of low end, gain of high end, etc.

Also, 99.9% of the exhaust will flow out at the cutout. Exhaust always travels the path of least resistance. So, don't expect any noticable amount of exhaust to flow through your stock catback when you have the cutout open.

Personally, I shave .15 everytime I open my cutout at the track. I have a VE Auto All Motor with Ypipe, Testpipe, and stock catback piping and muffler. My cutout is welded in the testpipe. I expect you to see better gains than I do.

Here are some pics of my setup:

Old 09-14-2004, 04:47 PM

how would you describe the sound when you have the xut-out open? Obviously much louder butis it a very high pitched sound like the hondas at the track runnin just their down pipe or what. Also i think i might see a slightly better improve ment sinc the exhaust chokes me off more with the supercharger. Would you say you like having it opposed to a normal aftermarket cat-back. Thanks for the resposne
Old 09-14-2004, 05:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

http://www.quicktimeperformance.com

good deals on cut-outs and it includes the y-pipe portion. They have videos and dynoes on the site as well.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:55 PM
NWP Engineering.com

how would you describe the sound when you have the xut-out open? Obviously much louder butis it a very high pitched sound like the hondas at the track runnin just their down pipe or what. Also i think i might see a slightly better improve ment sinc the exhaust chokes me off more with the supercharger. Would you say you like having it opposed to a normal aftermarket cat-back. Thanks for the resposne
Go to my website and click on the Videos section. You will find some videos I made just for this reason; to show others what my cutout sounds like.

Remember, you don't have a 4 banger, so that high pitch annoying sound won't come from your DOHC V6. It sounds as deep as a V6 can possibly sound, in my experience. Don't expect it to sound like a V8 Stang with Flowmasters and don't expect it to sound like a 1.6L Civic. It's right in the middle of those two extremes... maybe a little leaning towards V8 sounding, tone wise.

Yes, since you have a SCer, this will definitely benefit you more than it does me. I would MUCH rather have this cutout instead of a loud catback exhaust b/c it allows you to be quiet on the street. And when you go to the track, you are able to open it up and get the exhaust flow that you want. But, being 'quiet on the street', is a very nice thing to have.

Let me know what you think of those videos that I made. You'll like them.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:20 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

I am really thinking about doing this instead of a catback.
Old 09-17-2004, 05:41 PM

I know this might sound alittle crazy, but I wonder how this might work hooked up to a RPM activiated switch along with a toggle for arming & dissarming. It seems to me you might be able to have the best of both worlds (low end torque & high end pull) if it is hooked up this way. But then again I don't think the RPM's would drop off low enough between shifts to really see any significant torque improvements once the vehicle is already in motion. I suppose it might help for off the line performance, but you could always open the valve before redlining 1st gear anyway.

Sorry I was just bumbling the idea through my shallow mind?
Old 09-17-2004, 07:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

well how fast does this thing open...I think the cut-out was meant to be opened at a stop...but for those of us that already have the mevi, you could just wire it into the same rpm switch wire which goes from the rpm switch to the map/baro switch which already actuates the butterfly on our mevi's so the wiring job would be incredibly easy! but once again, I don't think this thing opens very fast like the mevi butterfly...
Old 09-18-2004, 10:01 AM

i think it takes like 3 0r 4 seconds, with a supercharger ill have to start opening very low in the rpm.
Old 09-18-2004, 01:20 PM
NWP Engineering.com

i think it takes like 3 0r 4 seconds, with a supercharger ill have to start opening very low in the rpm.
Yes, they take about 3 or 4 seconds to open. Both the QTEC and Mccord they that long.

I've experiemented for a long time with this idea of leaving it closed on the launch. I have drag radials and I launch with perfect traction everytime. No chirping here. So, I did 3 runs with it closed on the launch and 3 runs with it open on the launch. Since I have such smaller tires and a high stall torque converter, it takes about a split second to go from 2500 to 3K rpm. So, my 60' times did not change at all between open and closed cutout.

So, I just leave my cutout open all the time.
Old 09-18-2004, 01:37 PM

i remember trying to figure out how to make one of these things myself a couple of years ago - i never would have thought they really existed. this is awesome... im definetly using this instead of a cat back.