Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

breaking trannys?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 09:18 PM

breaking trannys?

are you guys breaking trannys, or clutches? I keep breaking gears so i had to learn how to rebuild the 5speed.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

ha ha yes everyone is breaking trannys

alot the big HP guys go through them but mardi has not broken his current trans which handled his hard launch on slicks to get a 1.72 60ft on his 12.2 @ 112mph pass all he did was cryo treat/shot peen/debur/polish all the gears and shafts

i personally as of friday am on my 4th 5spd although only one was broke do to abuse

1st one got locked in 2nd detent spring lost its tension

2nd one striped 1st gear the day i put the drag radials on

3rd one i couldnt shift into 1st or 2nd but this was to do to EXCESIVE play in the input shaft do to a bad front input shaft bearing

i havnt had one break while spraying but i ussually only spray in 3rd and 4th well and somtimes 2nd for the fun of it

one of the obvious things when going boosted is you have to upgrade the clutch. most go act, spec or clutchnet
Old 12-07-2004, 07:15 AM

i've been through 3 input shaft bearings and have a 4th that has a bad input shaft bearing. also helped work on another car that had a bad input shaft bearing. haven't broken any gears yet.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:05 PM

wow lets see i usually break 3rd, or 4th gear. But 4th is the really weak one. Once i broke the main shaft and half of it was sticking out of the case!!!! As for clutches i'v broken act street, custom rps ceramic/kevlar, centerforce, and jim wolf organic/metal. Some the rivits ripped out and some with the pressure plate still bolted down i could move the center ring on the disc. But i nolonger have my alignment dowels in the engine block. And i hear that it is possible for the tranny to shift under load without them.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:28 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Originally Posted by turboquake
wow lets see i usually break 3rd, or 4th gear. But 4th is the really weak one. Once i broke the main shaft and half of it was sticking out of the case!!!! As for clutches i'v broken act street, custom rps ceramic/kevlar, centerforce, and jim wolf organic/metal. Some the rivits ripped out and some with the pressure plate still bolted down i could move the center ring on the disc. But i nolonger have my alignment dowels in the engine block. And i hear that it is possible for the tranny to shift under load without them.
Reading your recent posts you seem to be breaking a tranny or blowing a motor all the time. What advatage is it to have a turbo set up that you keep breaking stuff all the time and just replacing it with the same parts, then breaking them again. I don't think it makes much sense to constantly putting down all this power you claim if all you do is break stuff. I like to work on my car as much as the next guy, but you might want to try replacing your busted parts with built ones. Even if your getting a stock tranny and motor for cheap in the long run your spending more money.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:21 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
Reading your recent posts you seem to be breaking a tranny or blowing a motor all the time. What advatage is it to have a turbo set up that you keep breaking stuff all the time and just replacing it with the same parts, then breaking them again. I don't think it makes much sense to constantly putting down all this power you claim if all you do is break stuff. I like to work on my car as much as the next guy, but you might want to try replacing your busted parts with built ones. Even if your getting a stock tranny and motor for cheap in the long run your spending more money.

great advice
Old 12-08-2004, 03:11 PM
be the change u want2C

^I dont know about you, I wouldnt call it advice, I'd call this common sense. Go buy some performance parts. Thats what there made for(sorry for sounding like an @ss, but thats not my intent)
Old 12-08-2004, 03:45 PM

i don't blow motors all the time. What i meant was i blew motors way back when i was trying to figure out what combo would work or not. I'v had the same motor now for the past 3 years on 15-18psi pump gas. 25-26 is on race gas for a street race now and then. Back when we had r.i. street races every weekend i would fill with race gas then go to race. Now there are no more local street races- cops put and end to them. So i have not turned up the boost like that for some time. As for built trannys??? Where i tried to find a place to make me custom gears, no luck. So for now it's a spare back up tranny.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:25 PM

you can get the gears cryoed and they'd probably handle quite a bit. also, for our trannies, i'd have IPT install a larger input shaft bearing so that it doesn't break like usual.

cryo work - www.300below.com
bearing - www.importperformancetrans.com