Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

JWT Z32 MAF Chip is in - problems? (long)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 02:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You also have a Turbo - it doesn't put the same amount of charge in the piping at idle that a S/C does.

And Matty has 3" Intake piping which is likely removing some surge also making the variable different.
(Why his car is doing the opposite of mine tho - I'm not sure).
Old 10-16-2005, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by iansw

How much does your Vortech leak at idle when opened matty?
I never really got a "backfireing" or a "stumbling" issue. It was only an idle issue, up and down up and down...right when I turned the BOV all the way tight, alittle air leaking out, it was perfect idle except when cold...it would fluctuate a bit

The Vortech does move quite a bit of air...IIRC its 320cfm at 8psi whatever that means..lol...I do know it moves alot more air than my tiny Greddy BOV..

When I spoke with JWT about the problem they said I shouldnt have ANY air leaking out of the BOV at idle. Thats my problem 100%. Well I went outside, tightened the BOV and the problem was fixed. He then said to replace the Vortech with a HKS SSQ because the HKS version is a "true bov" with two valves. one to open during a small amount of boost and one for high boost situations..

-matt
Old 10-16-2005, 08:03 PM

Yeah - I've always had the up/down up/down.

This is far worse when cold.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:18 AM

So this morning when it was a bit colder out I went outside and tested again.

Nevermind everything I said earlier - it's still stumbling - but again evens out as soon as the car is warm.

Looking at my LM-1 (which I didn't have last time I tested this stuff) - when cold I am 17:1 AFR. When I warm up, it drops to 14.7:! (this is at idle).

Is there any valves that open up during cold start or vacuum lines not used when warm that could explain this? Looks a hell of a lot like a vacuum leak.
(vacuum leaks make you run lean - correct?)

I'm thinking also it could be an injector O-Ring. I'm going to go replace all of those today just to be sure and get a good look around while I'm at it.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:44 PM

Weird. I tried this morning to start it wihtout the S/C hose attached at all (this worked well previously and stopped the stutter) - but this time it DIDN'T stop the stutter.

So I thought...maybe the car was just warm anough last time that whatever leak is there had sealed.

So I tore down the manifold and looked aorund - turns out the 2 center bolts on the front of the manifold are stripped. Those bolt holes go straight down into the lower manifold itself.

Might be the source. I helicoiled the bolt holes and am waiting until Saturday when I have time to replace any suspect hose I can find and replace all gaskets and the Injector O-Rings while I'm in there.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:26 PM

Question: What - exactly - does the IACV do on cold startup?

Maybe I'll borrow someone's and trade it out for testing purposes on Saturday as well.....
Old 10-19-2005, 07:22 PM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

Doesn't it raise the idle based on the IAT and water temp?
Old 10-24-2005, 06:00 AM

<copied from another thread - but may as well have it many places so people don't feel pain again>

Yesterday I found an old thread talking about how the Z32 MAF Harness connector needs to be facing at 90 degrees, instead of up or down.

Tried it this morning on cold start again....
It's fixed! While the idle isn't perfect, at least when cold I can start it and the engine revs without issue (no bucking) and the idle isn't so bad the car stalls out or anything.

Turns out after a year all I had to do was turn the MAF 90 degrees!

So this is why the Z32 MAF doesn't work with the Stillen Charge Piping. It only allows the MAF to sit with the harness facing up or down - not at 90 degrees like it should.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:15 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Originally Posted by iansw
<copied from another thread - but may as well have it many places so people don't feel pain again>

Yesterday I found an old thread talking about how the Z32 MAF Harness connector needs to be facing at 90 degrees, instead of up or down.

Tried it this morning on cold start again....
It's fixed! While the idle isn't perfect, at least when cold I can start it and the engine revs without issue (no bucking) and the idle isn't so bad the car stalls out or anything.

Turns out after a year all I had to do was turn the MAF 90 degrees!

So this is why the Z32 MAF doesn't work with the Stillen Charge Piping. It only allows the MAF to sit with the harness facing up or down - not at 90 degrees like it should.
Wow, that is all I can say.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
Wow, that is all I can say.
Me too. I would have never believed it would make a difference.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:33 AM

So you have the connector facing "upward" now, or do you have it pointing to like the battary ??

I descovered this when I was having idle issues, just loopy up and down up and down, and I remebered back to a pic of Stephan's engine and he had the connector facing towards the battary....well I had mine connector facing down towards the ground.

-matt
Old 10-24-2005, 10:44 AM

TO the battery now.

Idle still isn't smooth however - still pretty loopy all the time - warm or cold. But I also have an exhaust leak - which may be causing that.

Either way - just happy it's drivable again.