Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Vortech recommends not to use V2 if temp < 32 Degrees

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 08:03 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Vortech recommends not to use V2 if temp < 32 Degrees

Found the woes of a Mustang V2 user by accident while searching for a schematic blow-up diagram of the V2:

http://www.3.8mustang.com/forum/arch...ex.php/t-63931

From the 3.8 Mustang Message Board:

“The first and only time I've ever called them I got quick and polite service. I spoke to "Brian" in sales, quite a nice guy!

Having said that, I tried to email them before and never got a response, and another fellow on this board emailed several times and never got a response. So, it looks like it's either catch them answering the phone or no dice.

Sorry to hear about the prob. Hopefully you'll get it resolved. Let us know.

Well I called Vortech today and got a very good technical rep and we went through what happened to my unit. It turns out that Vortech is having a problem with there v-2 units. They are now sending out additional info in there literature that states that you should not use your v-2 supercharger when the temp is less than 32 deg. If you use it you will need to use a block heater and some how keep the oil warm where ever you park you car until U get home.

I happened to stumble on this info from a couple of emails from one of their authorized resellers. He mentioned to me that there has been several failures of the Vortech due to cold temps. My failure occurred approx. 2-3 minutes after I started the motor and it was idling/warming. I was told that there is a problem with a lack of oil getting to the supercharger when it is to cold. It was 10 DEG when I started the car and it had been as cold as -14 the night before.

I told them that it was not under warranty any more but I had read all there literature and that no where in there printed material does it state that you are not to use this unit in the cold. They concurred that this was the case. Vortech is pushing the v-1 for cold weather usage. Because of this I am getting approx. a 25 percent discount on the repair of the unit (if it is repairable). I was very happy with this. Now I need to make a choice. Do I get it rebuilt as a V-1 and have to listen to the noise or do I get a v-2 rebuild and have to worry about the cold.

By the way there is approximately a 200 dollar difference between the two choices. The V-2 being the more expensive.

By the way the guy I spoke to was named Jamie he was great. Vortech is lucky to have him. He even went to my web site with me on the phone to look at my installation.

One last note they were unaware off the trick of using the stock belt if you have a SC failure and you have to move the car. He even asked for a photo so they can use it in there literature. To help other people that are in a pinch.”

It looks like I'll have to get a block heater as it can get darn cold up here sometimes. Maybe that's why my blower sounds funny these days?
Old 12-21-2004, 08:13 AM

Well that sucks! Im on xmas vacation here in va and it was 21 degrees lastnight! I was getting my boost on in my bros 01 with v2. He bought the kit used and it has always made a wierd grinding sound at idle? Since he got a new sti it does not seem to bother him much... You should have made them pay for the stock belt info. That took research and development by us org members!

Go for the screaming beast!
Old 12-21-2004, 08:25 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Just cruised ebay and could not locate a block heater specific for the Maxima. Now I'm wondering whether we V2 owners should just do the belt bypass instead?

I've read about an oil dipstick heater as well. Gotta look for a pic of that.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:42 AM
Max97Stick

so ur sayin under 10degrees the sc gets lack on oil because its cold?
i warm my car up for like 20 min+ everyday know just to make sure

Old 12-21-2004, 08:45 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Originally Posted by Max97Stick
so ur sayin under 10degrees the sc gets lack on oil because its cold?
i warm my car up for like 20 min+ everyday know just to make sure
Warming up the engine is what Vortech recommends but from what I read in the thread, if the oil is thick due to the cold temp it won't flow fast enough at initial engine startup. No oil in the blower gearing is bad news. Thats why a block heater would be a good idea.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:45 AM
I'm needing a caw

Wow. I guess that is a good case to use a quality synthetic oil for good flow during cold weather. An oil pressure preluber might be a decent idea also.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:56 AM
Blu
the tits

the joy of having a garage.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think if your using sythetic your fine..thats the point of synthetic, For Cold Starts..

Im using 10W-30 Mobil one sythetic and I started my car yesterday morning at 7 degrees..

-matt
Old 12-21-2004, 12:24 PM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Originally Posted by matty
I think if your using sythetic your fine..thats the point of synthetic, For Cold Starts..

Im using 10W-30 Mobil one sythetic and I started my car yesterday morning at 7 degrees..

-matt
That guy, Dean, was using 5-50 full synthetic oil when his blower seized but he didn't say which brand.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by BlackCat
That guy, Dean, was using 5-50 full synthetic oil when his blower seized but he didn't say which brand.
Im really thinkin of changing to 5W-30 before I ruin anything...last winter, I wasnt booted and went to 5w-30 instead of 10W...It seemed like a waste...A cold morning here is about 0-5 degrees at the worst

-matt
Old 12-22-2004, 07:49 PM

Hmm, that's not really news I was looking forward to hearing. I've been contemplating removing the S/C for the winter anyway (Or bypassing), and this thread is really making me want to.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by MAXimumHP
Hmm, that's not really news I was looking forward to hearing. I've been contemplating removing the S/C for the winter anyway (Or bypassing), and this thread is really making me want to.
You know how many guys in cold climates have s/c on all different kind of cars with no problems...Use Synthetic and youll be safe..

-matt
Old 12-22-2004, 10:10 PM

Also, I wonder if the mustangs have a different way of delivering the oil to the SC. Since we com of the presure seding unit we would not have any presure and cause all kinds of engine problems also.
The oil that comes from the sending unit is pretty high presure, so I don't think that is a big problem for us Maxima's.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by LatinMax
Also, I wonder if the mustangs have a different way of delivering the oil to the SC. Since we com of the presure seding unit we would not have any presure and cause all kinds of engine problems also.
The oil that comes from the sending unit is pretty high presure, so I don't think that is a big problem for us Maxima's.
The oil that is gettin delivered to our blower is right by the oil pump..there no other better place to have the oil coming from. The oil delivery is dirrect....I dont see where you guys see the problem being

-matt
Old 12-22-2004, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by matty
The oil that is gettin delivered to our blower is right by the oil pump..there no other better place to have the oil coming from. The oil delivery is dirrect....I dont see where you guys see the problem being

-matt
That was my point exactly.
Old 12-26-2004, 10:45 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

Did anyone have their V2 blower seize on them due to cold weather?
Old 12-27-2004, 02:49 PM

I'm running a V2 in very cold weather with no problems so far. I am using Castrol Syntec 5W-30.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:16 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

Originally Posted by mhadford
I'm running a V2 in very cold weather with no problems so far. I am using Castrol Syntec 5W-30.
How long have you had your V2 and how cold is where you live?
Old 12-27-2004, 11:36 PM

This is the first winter for the V2. So far so good. The temp has been down to -22C.

It's Canada, baby!

I really think the key is either 5W-30 or 0W-30 synthetic if it's really cold. The synthetic flows much better than conventional oil when cold.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:25 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Originally Posted by mhadford
This is the first winter for the V2. So far so good. The temp has been down to -22C.

It's Canada, baby!

I really think the key is either 5W-30 or 0W-30 synthetic if it's really cold. The synthetic flows much better than conventional oil when cold.
LOL! The Great White North (on the east side of the Rockies!)
I'd have thought that Vortech would've given a similar reply to the Mustang guy about using synthetic oil instead.