Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

flywheel recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 09:47 PM

flywheel recommendation

well my turbo install is getting closer and closer. 95% of the parts have been purchased. i haveth the option of getting a lighter flywheel or getting the old one resurfaced. but i was told the other day that i should go ahead and get a flywheel and might be able to get a exedy dirt cheap. was told that with turbo u want a heavier flywheel to keep the momentum. at the same time with a lighten flywheel you have a better rev response. so what do u guys think?
Old 06-01-2005, 06:04 AM
SLOW

Don't bother with a lightened flywheel. They are pretty useless except for rev matching imho.

BTW I can't believe there will be another turbo max in michigan. Where the heck is brownstown.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:56 AM

brownstown is south of detroit. oh shiet well flywheel already ordered. got a good price on it so i might as well use it. car is going into the shop this month to get the manifold, ic, and pipping fab'd up. i heard someone in gr or something has a turbo max.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:23 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The Fidanza is lighter than the UR one.

We got to compare them side by side.

What all are you running in your setup?
Old 06-01-2005, 11:37 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

UR is ~9-10lbs. and the Fidanza is ~12lbs both with the ring gear.

Originally Posted by Prodeje79
The Fidanza is lighter than the UR one.

We got to compare them side by side.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:05 PM
SLOW

Originally Posted by huyqvu
brownstown is south of detroit. oh shiet well flywheel already ordered. got a good price on it so i might as well use it. car is going into the shop this month to get the manifold, ic, and pipping fab'd up. i heard someone in gr or something has a turbo max.

You're probably thinkin of Kalamazoo, and it's probably me. Unless there is someone else with a turbo one besides me and you (soon) which I doubt.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
UR is ~9-10lbs. and the Fidanza is ~12lbs both with the ring gear.
Have you had both in front of you at the same time?

Ask Jaime.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:45 PM

forgot the specs on the turbo. it came out of a rx7. suppose to handle 14psi cause the internal wastegate is set to that. my buddy wants to make a custom manifold instead of using the stock headers to collectors. ic is going to be custom to what ever fits and does not harm the bumper. been in a serious accident in another car before so bumper has to stay. sard r2d2 bov, rps max series clutch, exedy flywheel, cpr 440 injectors, cpr fuel pressure regulator, might get custom fuel rails from cpr, and custom 3" exhaust with thermal r&d muffler with thermal tip. electronics are greddy emanage, profecb, and a hks turbo timer. all this is going to be done at autowerks motorsport.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:21 PM

i have had a 12lb alu FW on my car for the last 2years but im putting the stocker back on when i drop the trans because im tired of the hard starting from a stop. the car is just to hard to drive in stop and go traffic(i was killing it about every other day and ive been driving a stick for 6 years) the heavier fw stores more energy and makes it easier to launch. now if you are using a stock clutch youd be fine because they are alot less "springy" but the ACT or equivalent clutch has very little slip so i would either have to rev to like 2200-2500 to get it going (somtimes if let out to fast resulting in tire spin) or kill it. its just inconvienent for stop and go

but i will admit the engine does rev much faster than with the stocker
Old 06-01-2005, 10:15 PM
SLOW

what year RX7 is it off of? also what company is CPR i've never heard of them.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:53 PM

92 rx7. and cpr is out of hazel park. they do lots of mustang and corvette stuff.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:08 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

I have had the fidanza for a few years now. I have mixed feelings about it, I probably would not get rid of it now but in hind sight I would have just stuck with the stocker and spent the money else where. It has been so long since I drove a maxima with a stock flywheel I can't remeber what it was like
Old 06-02-2005, 07:30 AM
SLOW

You drove mine mike
Old 06-02-2005, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
You drove mine mike
The beast or the beater? When I drove the beast the last thing I was thinking about was how the flywheel felt.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:57 AM

No, but many people have confirmed the weights for years and that is the first time I've heard anyone claim the UR to be lighter.

Originally Posted by Prodeje79
Have you had both in front of you at the same time?

Ask Jaime.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:36 AM
SLOW

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
The beast or the beater? When I drove the beast the last thing I was thinking about was how the flywheel felt.

The beast. I know you weren't thinking about that I was just being an a-hole and pointing out that you were wrong haha.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:12 PM

No, but many people have confirmed the weights for years and that is the first time I've heard anyone claim the UR to be lighter.

He is correct the Unorthodox is a heavier unit then the fidenza. Thats why people that spend $500 plus on that POS Unorthodox complain that they did nto see a performance difference.

I went from a stock Flywheel running 13.8s @ 104 to running 13.6s @ 107 with a fidenza. I love my fidenza flywheel. The car felt much faster with a fidenza then with a stocker.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:17 PM

Sorry, not buying it....something is up here.

Do you know the weight of the UR?

I know for a fact the weight of the Fidanza.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:07 PM

Sorry, not buying it....something is up here.

Do you know the weight of the UR?

I know for a fact the weight of the Fidanza.

No I do not know whats the weight of the UR. But it weighs alot more then the fidenza. The UR also reuses the stock metal ring in the center of the flywheel. I dont know whos dum azz idea is that to reuse the heavy metal ring if your trying to shed some weight. That explains alot of early complaints. The fidenza unit is 100% alloy for the exception of the part where the surface where disks clamps unto. For weight I prefer the Fidenza over the UR. I also refuse to pay $500 plus for that UR garbage.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:12 PM

Yeah, but people always complained the UR was too light and took getting used to when shifting/launching yet the Fidanza is pretty close to stock.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by JAY25
He is correct the Unorthodox is a heavier unit then the fidenza. Thats why people that spend $500 plus on that POS Unorthodox complain that they did nto see a performance difference.

I went from a stock Flywheel running 13.8s @ 104 to running 13.6s @ 107 with a fidenza. I love my fidenza flywheel. The car felt much faster with a fidenza then with a stocker.
i understand the advantage but to me its just not worth the hassle but i think its mainly personal preference
Old 06-03-2005, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by subs1000w
i understand the advantage but to me its just not worth the hassle but i think its mainly personal preference

Personal preference thats it right there!!!!
Old 06-03-2005, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by JAY25

Jay,

Do you experience what subs100w described above? What clutch do you have?

Subs100w,
So after 2 years, it's not something that you got used to? I'm very curious, as I just toasted my clutch, as was going to get a lightened flywheel and a aftermarket performance clutch. I just started doing some research this morning, so please forgive my newb questions. I was planning on doing every mod in the book and see just how quick I can get the Maxima going. But, I still wanted a half decent daily driver. Sounds like fast Maxima and half decent daily driver is an oxymoron. LOL

All, how much horsepower is the Fidanza FW equivalent too?
Old 06-03-2005, 01:13 PM

well i did get "used to it" but when your driving in stop and go quite possibly releasing the clutch 20-30 times in a matter of 30min your bound to kill it once

i dont want to dicourage you from buying one because there a proven performance part jay picked up 3mph in the 1/4 which is pretty substantial but if you do ALOT of stop and go it can be annoying

have you ever driven a car with a light flywheel because that would be your best bet

if your NA and plan to stay that way and want the best performance i would say its essential but say your turboed another # of boost can easily makup for the stock flywheel
Old 06-03-2005, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Jay,

Do you experience what subs100w described above? What clutch do you have?

Subs100w,
So after 2 years, it's not something that you got used to? I'm very curious, as I just toasted my clutch, as was going to get a lightened flywheel and a aftermarket performance clutch. I just started doing some research this morning, so please forgive my newb questions. I was planning on doing every mod in the book and see just how quick I can get the Maxima going. But, I still wanted a half decent daily driver. Sounds like fast Maxima and half decent daily driver is an oxymoron. LOL

All, how much horsepower is the Fidanza FW equivalent too?
I got a ACT clutch and a Fidenza. I dont know how he drives. What I can tell is that when you let the clutch pedal go if you let it go too fast the car will shut off. As far as starting or take off issues I never had any!!!

Like I said is personal preference. I did race BijanGXE and he has a lightened flywheel and UDP. I have a NA maxima w/full exhaust and UDP and ACT/stock disk stock flywheel. He smoked my azz easily. Is that fidenza flywheel. Ironlung was at the track when I was running 13.6s that Saturday I went to the track.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:26 PM

well i did get "used to it" but when your driving in stop and go quite possibly releasing the clutch 20-30 times in a matter of 30min your bound to kill it once

i dont want to dicourage you from buying one because there a proven performance part jay picked up 3mph in the 1/4 which is pretty substantial but if you do ALOT of stop and go it can be annoying

have you ever driven a car with a light flywheel because that would be your best bet

if your NA and plan to stay that way and want the best performance i would say its essential but say your turboed another # of boost can easily makup for the stock flywheel

Driving w/stop and go traffic w/a 5 speed will get very annoying!!!! I can understand where your coming from. Id stick with a stock clutch or centerforce dual friction very very soft clutches. The ACT will wear you out. They do make the cutch quite a bit stiff.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:11 PM
SLOW

Of course I believe Jays times to be accurate, however I find it very hard to believe that the flywheel is the only reason he gained 3mph through the 1/4 mile. The physics of intertia and rotating mass dictated that any weight reduction done (flywheel, lighter wheels, etc) give diminishing gains as accleration decreases. Basically what this means for cars is that they give better gains in the lower gears, and those gains diminish as your speed gets higher because you are not accelerating as much. This is the same reason why weight reduction can have an effect in the 1/4 mile, but yet will not change the top speed of a vehicle to any noticeable extent.

Of all the testimonials to the lightened flywheels, not just on maximas but on cars in general, only a small minority report significant gains at the drag strip such as Jays.

You can bet your **** that if I were convinced a lightened flywheel were guaranteed to give .3s and 3mph gains in the 1/4 mile I would have had one on every car I've ever owned, but the simple fact is that it hasn't been proven to be nearly that drastic to me, thus I don't have one.

Infact many people, go from lightened flywheels back to heavier stock flywheels as their cars get faster because it helps them launch the car.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:21 PM
I'm needing a caw

I've run a Fidanza w/ the ACT setup for a few years now. Also run the udp if that counts. Seattle as bad of traffic as anywhere. I don't have problems. You do have to leave more room inbetween cars so you aren't pushing the clutch down all the time. But I feel it's more than acceptable for the street. I'd even say a 2 more lbs off the flywheel wouldn't hurt the drivablity.

It just hurts my neck when others try to drive the maxima for the 1st time.

Old 06-03-2005, 04:38 PM

How long does it take to install a flywheel??
Old 06-03-2005, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by PeteusMaximus
How long does it take to install a flywheel??
takes about 2.5 hours to drop the tranny with airtools and about 2 hours to put it back together. Looking at 5-6 hours by yourself.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:51 PM
The Crazy Azz Cracka

I have the Stillen flywheel with a 6 puck kevlar sprung Amico clutch and I loath it. When you let it out you had best be ready to go! When you romp on it it sticks but god help you if you get stuck in a traffic jam. As soon as I put in my built motor I'm taking that damn thing out. I almost don't want to drive it in the rain because it just walks side ways. If your going turbo don't bother w/ the flywheel. You can acheive your goals with out it.
Choray
Old 06-03-2005, 10:53 PM
Jar
Donating Maxima.org Member

so to sum it up for those of us just reading here, is it the "group opinion" that NA is better with a lightened fly but if your gonna boost you should use the stock fly?
Old 06-04-2005, 07:05 AM
The Crazy Azz Cracka

Here is a good rule of thumb. If you are going to have so much power that you need a stupid agressive clutch, stick to the factory flywheel. If you have no asperations of going TC or SC then you can use it. I had a cluchmasters stage 2 w/ stillen flywheel and it was great! then I got the turbo, smoked the stage 2 and install the 6 puck and life has sucked since then. It is all relative to how much your willing to put up with.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:55 AM

I guess I will give a more detailed opinion since I had my fidanza when I had my NA set up and my turbo set up. NA I had MEVI, JWT ECU w/ 7200 rev cut, y-pipe, cat-back, intake, cattman headers, and the findanza.

Driveability

As far as stalling. I did stall a handful of times the first week I had it but have not stalled the car for the couple years since because of the flywheel.

Driving in traffic (chicago burbs) is no fun with a 5spd no matter what. With the findanza it just makes it a tad more tedious. But like posted above, I just allow more room in front of me to allow me to always stay rolling so I don't have to use the clutch. I would actually do that anyhow regardless of the flywheel. It is not like the flywheel is the reason why driving in traffic sucks, but it doesn't make it easier. Actually, I have driven a 5spd for so long I am used to it and don't think of driving a 5spd in traffic as all that bad.

Just like anything. I am used to how my clutch and flywheel act. I rev a bit higher on take off's naturally now so I don't conciously drive any different than before. It is all relative to me.

Performance

I saw no improvement at the tack after I installed the flywheel. I go to the track alot. And usually the same track so I am confident there was no measureable gains. (the before and after being while I was NA). I have had the findanza the whole time since being boosted so I can't comment on gains for a turbo car. I would think that the lightend flywheel might let a turbo car spool a bit quicker thus making it a bit faster but I have no proof to that theory of mine. I would think Jay's gains would have to be a combination of things. .3 and 3mph is alot to gain as Neal pointed out. There are so many varibales at the track that multiple runs need to be done before and after at the same track, the car being the exact same beside the flywheel, the same weather, and the same 60 foot. Especially with a boosted car that can see +/- 1/2 psi for many different reasons. That is 10hp right there. I am not doubting Jay's results one bit, he is one person I would not question on honesty. But I would need to see a half a dozen slips from before and after to know for sue myself. Running different tires, fuel, weight reduction, etc are all things that need to be constant.

As far as laucnhing I was able to pull low 2.1 60's NA on street tires with the fidanza but I will say I think it takes a bit more skill to launch a car with a lightend flywheel. It is easier to bog.

What I like about the fidanza is how it revs. It just feels nice and is fun to rev match with it. The car just feels better under hard acceleration with it.

When all things are taken into account and I had to do it again, I would probably have stayed with the stocker. 10% of that reason being for the negative driving aspects of it but the majority being that I saw no real 1/4 gains and that I would put that money to better use. Now if spending the money on it is not the issue, and your not giving up some other, more proven mod to get the fidanza then go for it. I try to budget myself hahahahahah...when it comes to mods. I look at it as I could have a boost controller right now instead of the findanza. That may be a screwy way to look at it, but that is one way I measure the value of a modification.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:58 AM
UCF Lexus

Well mixed opinions will always be present w/ the Fidanza.

Ive had mine for about 2-3 months. I can tell a difference in RPM speed if I rev it up. In btwn gears the RPM drops a little faster than stock.

I dynoed before and after the fidanza...it didnt show any gains, but it showed how much faster the power band went up to peak HP/TQ - versus the stock flywheel.

I think it's a good mod for the money. No complaints here...
Old 06-05-2005, 07:52 AM
The Crazy Azz Cracka

That is a hell of a narrative Mike.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:07 PM
UCF Lexus

That shoulda hit B&N by now