Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Where do you guys get you SC CAI From?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 06:05 AM

Where do you guys get you SC CAI From?

Hi Guys,

I would like to know where you all get you're CAI for your SC? Is there an off the shelf bend I can buy that is known to fit correctly? Also if you have ordered an off the shelf bend do you know the right size couplers and air filter to go along with this bend? Thanks so much for your time, this ghetto CAI I have now sucks! I've lost 2 air filters with this thing.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:36 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Lol! I just installed mine in on the weekend! The only parts I needed was a 90 degree 3" diameter pvc elbow and a short 3" pvc sleeve to act as an extender to reach a 3" to 3" rubber connector and a cannister-style K&N filter. I then wrapped the whole thing with exhaust wrap tape.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:01 AM
SomePsychoGuy

For a 5th gen so it will be the same thing except easier since you don't have to worry about the MAF relocation.
http://maxima.cardomain.com/ride/286...=286919&page=4

-courtesy Latin max

There was a write up for the 4th gen but the site is no longer up.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by BlackCat
Lol! I just installed mine in on the weekend! The only parts I needed was a 90 degree 3" diameter pvc elbow and a short 3" pvc sleeve to act as an extender to reach a 3" to 3" rubber connector and a cannister-style K&N filter. I then wrapped the whole thing with exhaust wrap tape.

any boost gains noticed?
Old 06-27-2005, 08:30 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Originally Posted by chris'smax
any boost gains noticed?
Man, I should have done this a long time ago! This is a worthwhile mod!

After using the drum K&N filter since Oct. 2000 I immediately loved the intake noise the CAI generated. Sounds mean! When I went for a drive I felt gains in the low rpm's in responsiveness to the throttle. Normally I drive around the city at around 60km/hr (38mph) and when I stomp the throttle it quickly jumps up to 80km/hr (50mph) instead of the usual hesitation. I see another bout of heavy-foot-itis coming!

Btw, I took out my window washer reservoir and there's alot of space underneath. Is there room enough to put that thing back in on the 4th gen like in LatinMax's 5th gen setup? At the moment I don't have that white pvc extender installed like in the pic below.

I've now started to entertain thoughts of adding some ducting. That right side inlet on the Stillen chin spoiler could be used for that purpose since its not cooling the right side brake at all. The cool air will then fill the empty space easier. Just looking at how the air gets in I could only see air getting in through the gaps around the foglights and that's not much space.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by BlackCat
Man, I should have done this a long time ago! This is a worthwhile mod!

After using the drum K&N filter since Oct. 2000 I immediately loved the intake noise the CAI generated. Sounds mean! When I went for a drive I felt gains in the low rpm's in responsiveness to the throttle. Normally I drive around the city at around 60km/hr (38mph) and when I stomp the throttle it quickly jumps up to 80km/hr (50mph) instead of the usual hesitation. I see another bout of heavy-foot-itis coming!

Btw, I took out my window washer reservoir and there's alot of space underneath. Is there room enough to put that thing back in on the 4th gen like in LatinMax's 5th gen setup? At the moment I don't have that white pvc extender installed like in the pic below.

I've now started to entertain thoughts of adding some ducting. That right side inlet on the Stillen chin spoiler could be used for that purpose since its not cooling the right side brake at all. The cool air will then fill the empty space easier. Just looking at how the air gets in I could only see air getting in through the gaps around the foglights and that's not much space.

cool, notice any gains on your boost guage? Just wondering because i will more than likely need to retune when i do this
Old 06-27-2005, 09:15 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Chris,

Rumor is ~1psi for 5th gens., since it eliminates the long crossover pipe. Not sure about 4th gens., since they use a pancake filter.

I doubt you'd need to retune...especially since your tuner sounds pretty conservative.

cool, notice any gains on your boost guage? Just wondering because i will more than likely need to retune when i do this
Old 06-27-2005, 09:19 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

I haven't pushed it really hard yet as I had to take the kit off again due to a loose blower pulley.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:24 AM

Chris,

If you're really concerned about the extra psi/cooler air needing more fuel, as a temp fix until you get it retuned for more mods, you could just reduce the injector factor, ie instead of 290cc-->510cc, just say 290cc-->500cc. That should basically scale your entire fuel map.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
Chris,

If you're really concerned about the extra psi/cooler air needing more fuel, as a temp fix until you get it retuned for more mods, you could just reduce the injector factor, ie instead of 290cc-->510cc, just say 290cc-->500cc. That should basically scale your entire fuel map.
Alex,
the more and more i learn about a/f ratios and such i realize how sensitive all this stuff is. It just seems to me that adjusting the scaling factor would be a very crude and rough estimate. Also that would adjust the entire fuel map as you stated which would richen up the bottom end of the rpm range. That is something i would like to avoid since it is already sort of a problem.

the weird thing is that after i got a smaller belt putt on my blower a few weeks back my car hasn't been stalling like it was before
Old 06-27-2005, 10:02 AM

I wish you would send me your maps, so I could look at your anti-stall settings.

You are right...that is a crude method of just making sure you're running rich as a temp solution. Definitely not ideal, but should work IN THEORY. Cooler air will make you less detonation prone, so that alone might offset the extra air, ie you'd be leaner but still not detonate/ping. I'd do the CAI.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
I wish you would send me your maps, so I could look at your anti-stall settings.

You are right...that is a crude method of just making sure you're running rich as a temp solution. Definitely not ideal, but should work IN THEORY. Cooler air will make you less detonation prone, so that alone might offset the extra air, ie you'd be leaner but still not detonate/ping. I'd do the CAI.

I will try and get you those tonight. I have to get them off my girlfriends laptop.

jay25 measured the air temp difference between SC CAI and the regular setup and said he didn't notice a change in air temp. I guess once the air is compressed a certain amount prior temp diff is negligable to certain extent.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:49 AM

thanks for all the replies. So no one is using a nice mandrel bent aluminum pipe? I have the ghetto PVC thing I was just trying to see if anyone is using something a little bit nicer.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:25 PM

i am installing an aluminum intercooler pipe elbow with an adapter on it to connect the JWT popcharger in the fender well connected with a silicone reducer to the supecharger it seems worthwhile and looks really nice
Old 06-27-2005, 01:21 PM

where did you get the intercooler elbow and the silicone reducer?

Thanks!
Old 06-27-2005, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by JustMaxin96
where did you get the intercooler elbow and the silicone reducer?

Thanks!

Try atpturbo.com They have really nice stuff
Old 07-03-2005, 12:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just to clear up a few things. I got a 1.5 psi increase when I did this mod.

chris'smax: this is a must do mod. But likr I warrent you once before. Becareful for mud puddles.
Old 07-03-2005, 07:49 AM

I gained 1psi with the cai. I got a 3 1/2 inch piece of exhaust pipe from napa. I cut about an inch or so off of one end, got the cupler from home depot. If you look on my cardomaim site you can probably see the cai. I like it alot! It really cleans things up and just looks much better. It sounds a whole lot better too. I went for the 3.5 inch pipe because that is what the inlet is on the blower. I got me a biga$$ K&N filter. Like BlackCat I also waited years to complete this mod. It was not hard. I cut my hole extra big thankfully, it makes it alot easier to take it in and out.
Old 07-03-2005, 07:53 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Yesterday it was pouring rain in the morning as I drove my wife to work. On the way back I pushed it hard and the response was just orgasmic. Unfortunately by the time I got home my pulley came loose again. Locktite blue didn't help much and so I had to take it off for the 4th time in June. This time I used red (permanent) Permatex to hold it together.
As I took off the inner wheel liner I noticed that my air filter had a few drops of water coming off of it. Yeah, be real careful of puddles.
Old 07-03-2005, 07:58 AM

If your pulley keeps coming off/loose that is a sign for rebuild time. It was for me last summer when I had to take it off 4 times in 2weeks. Pulley dug into the chain drive case the first time it came loose. Blower began to sound different. I think this is a sign of the bearings going bad or being bad. Sounds like time for another rebuild. The blue loctite should be enough to hold the pulley on.
Old 07-03-2005, 07:58 AM

What did you guys use to cut the hole in the fender well? I was thinking of using a jig saw.
Old 07-03-2005, 08:42 AM

high speed die grinder, with a cutting bit (kinda like a drill bit that cuts side ways)
Old 07-03-2005, 01:57 PM

dremel with a long/straight bit. I went through 2 bits . Just remember to wear gloves and long sleeves cause the metal hurts like hell when gets on you. Best way to get it off of you is rinsing with water. glasses too
Old 07-04-2005, 01:26 PM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Originally Posted by vortechpower
If your pulley keeps coming off/loose that is a sign for rebuild time. It was for me last summer when I had to take it off 4 times in 2weeks. Pulley dug into the chain drive case the first time it came loose. Blower began to sound different. I think this is a sign of the bearings going bad or being bad. Sounds like time for another rebuild. The blue loctite should be enough to hold the pulley on.
Isn't the rebuild for the blower bearings only? I've already done one rebuild.
Yeah, I've got shiny marks on the chain drive case as well.
A little of the red loctite/permatex seems to be doing the trick for me.

The blower only sounds different when the pulley comes loose and is allowed to shimmy, and the vibrations it gives off are passed down to the blower and it in turns sounds like sh*t to our ears. I'm now wondering if my first rebuild was really a loose pulley because Vortech told me that there was slight wear on the bearings.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by SPiG
For a 5th gen so it will be the same thing except easier since you don't have to worry about the MAF relocation.
http://maxima.cardomain.com/ride/286...=286919&page=4

-courtesy Latin max

There was a write up for the 4th gen but the site is no longer up.

That is not correct! for a 5th gen you have to relocate the MAF if not you will blow it!!!
Old 07-07-2005, 12:04 PM

What did you guys use to cut the hole in the fender well? I was thinking of using a jig saw.
you can also use this if you have a air compressor

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90114
Old 07-07-2005, 12:07 PM

with the CAI you will gain a full 1PSI increase