Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

My Emanage Ultimate is here!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 08:58 PM

Well this is one interesting thread, I just finished reading it head to toe.

I have a 04 Altima VQ35 N/A and had Sharif install the EU / LC-1 combo last week (Made the drive from Orlando to Charlotte to get it done...). So far so good but I do have issues which hopefully some of you could figure out.

http://www.altimafaq.net/eu/eManageLite.doc (Simple writeup of my experience and dyno + A/F)

I'm very interested in getting the rev. limiter boosted to 7200rpm, that would be utterly great.

Right now my biggest problem is whenever I'm in gear (Usually above 2,000) and let off on the gas, the engine goes hard lean (Like 30-35 on the LC-1). This causes some popping / detonation if it's in gear but other than that everything seems to be okay. Any ideas? I'm still learning a lot about the dynamics of tuning the VQ motors so assume I know nothing and approach me like I'm an idiot.. =)

I'm going to upload some of my LC-1 A/F logs and see what you all think along with my EU config file.

I really want to get into the cooler features the EU uses as the Altima community doesn't have any tuning solutions either.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:35 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Velicos
Right now my biggest problem is whenever I'm in gear (Usually above 2,000) and let off on the gas, the engine goes hard lean (Like 30-35 on the LC-1). This causes some popping / detonation if it's in gear but other than that everything seems to be okay. Any ideas? I'm still learning a lot about the dynamics of tuning the VQ motors so assume I know nothing and approach me like I'm an idiot.. =)
If the altima ECU is anything like other nissans, it goes into a fuel cut mode while decelerating, aka no fuel at all going into the cylinders. This is why your reading is off-the-charts lean. It's normal. And i doubt what you're hearing is detonation.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by nismology
If the altima ECU is anything like other nissans, it goes into a fuel cut mode while decelerating, aka no fuel at all going into the cylinders. This is why your reading is off-the-charts lean. It's normal. And i doubt what you're hearing is detonation.
I agree with you and so does my tuner. Thing is my exhaust never back-fired or popped before on my VQ. I have a pretty conservative system (2.5 piping from open headers to cat -> Magnaflow 6x27" resonator, then 2.25" piping to the 14829's). It's just now with the EU installed it's doing this, but what is even weirder is that it's not modifying the injectors at all in closed loop so it's definately a mystery....
Old 01-06-2006, 02:39 PM
3.5 in the works

I put this on Icey's rev limit thread but I'll update here as well to keep the documentation going:

Originally Posted by DandyMax
Now for the good news: apparently Japan has finished both the software/firmware update and the add-on hardware module for the VQ30DE/DET. It has either already arrived at Greddy's offices in CA or it is in transit. Kenji mentioned there had been some packages arrive from Japan recently but he was away and needs to check on where exactly the module is currently. I should know more in a couple days but it's looking like I will have this in my hands soon.

Additionally, their NJ location is now operational and, if for some unforeseen reason it should become necessary (I don't think so but you never know), this is within driving distance for me to personally go down there and meet with Kenji, do testing, etc.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:49 PM

Can u summarize this 14 page thread and start a new thread with the summary. Kind of hard to keep up.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:24 PM

I put this on Icey's rev limit thread but I'll update here as well to keep the documentation going:
Now for the good news: apparently Japan has finished both the software/firmware update and the add-on hardware module for the VQ30DE/DET. It has either already arrived at Greddy's offices in CA or it is in transit. Kenji mentioned there had been some packages arrive from Japan recently but he was away and needs to check on where exactly the module is currently. I should know more in a couple days but it's looking like I will have this in my hands soon.

Additionally, their NJ location is now operational and, if for some unforeseen reason it should become necessary (I don't think so but you never know), this is within driving distance for me to personally go down there and meet with Kenji, do testing, etc.
Dandymax, a few Questions:

1) How much is this extra modual going to cost ?? Is it something that any Greddy distributer will be able to get or do we have to order it straight from Kenji ??
2) Are they sending enough to accomidate the demand of the amount of people wanting this for there VQ30DE..Or are they only sending like one for Kenji to test then he'll need to order it...Im trying to guestimate if its worth purchasing now or waiting to see if the new modual works.
3) And the most important question is Where is Kenji's office in NJ ?? Im located In Northern NJ, Morris County, and I can easily order the EU, install it and go run down to him for any problem solving issues and report here. Let me know via PM

-matt
Old 01-06-2006, 11:23 PM
3.5 in the works

Matty:

1) Don't know yet.
2) Don't know yet but I doubt it'll be many to start, only a few likely.
3) I'll have to ask again. I forgot the name, but I think it's about 1/2 hr to 1 hr south of Newark. Keep in mind Kenji will not always be there though, he's mainly based out in California.

Sorry I can't be more helpful yet, I know this has been a slow process but hang in there. I should know more about the status of the module(s) in a few days.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:27 PM
3.5 in the works

Originally Posted by mforrest100
Can u summarize this 14 page thread and start a new thread with the summary. Kind of hard to keep up.
It is getting kinda long isn't it. Maybe I'll start a new one next time I have a decent update.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:33 PM

It is getting kinda long isn't it. Maybe I'll start a new one next time I have a decent update.
Just a little....(LOL)
Old 01-07-2006, 11:40 PM
brotherhood of tq

just like every other copy cat im just waiting for u to say buy this this and that n the timing, a/f and rev limit works and how to do it all
Old 01-08-2006, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
just like every other copy cat im just waiting for u to say buy this this and that n the timing, a/f and rev limit works and how to do it all
Me too...and Dandymax to say "ORDER IT"
Old 01-12-2006, 08:58 PM

Anything new on the Moduals/hardware, to read crank signal ??

-matt
Old 01-13-2006, 08:17 AM
3.5 in the works

Unfortunately, no. Kenji is in Japan now for a week. I tried to catch him before he left but didn't realize he was going this soon. I'll check in with him when he gets back. By then he should have it/know where it is.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:28 PM

Start A New Thread!!!!!!!
Old 01-20-2006, 12:12 PM

Finally! With the help of Dandy and a few other members, I have the EU working flawlessly on my VQ35.

Running the I/J Adjustment Map with the AFR Target Map > 80% and the +3 deg. timing advance across the board for N/A.

Thanks a bunch for the assistance and good luck to those with the VQ30 saga.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Velicos
Finally! With the help of Dandy and a few other members, I have the EU working flawlessly on my VQ35.

Running the I/J Adjustment Map with the AFR Target Map > 80% and the +3 deg. timing advance across the board for N/A.

Thanks a bunch for the assistance and good luck to those with the VQ30 saga.
Get rid of that piece of junk and buy a MAFci. Much easier to install and great HP gains.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:39 AM
3.5 in the works

Hahaha I saw that thread. It was an.. um.. interesting? read. lol
Old 01-21-2006, 01:43 AM
Banned

I had too much rum that night, should have stayed off the puter.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:47 PM
Future Camaro SS owner

Quick question for once you all that are working on this to work for us. Is any of you going to run the EU so you can remove the MAF. Or do you still need it for when you not under boost.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:52 PM
3.5 in the works

Originally Posted by MyownNismo
Quick question for once you all that are working on this to work for us. Is any of you going to run the EU so you can remove the MAF. Or do you still need it for when you not under boost.
I will be doing this come spring as part of some other experimentations I'll be working on.

But the EU should be able to completely replace the MAF for all engine load points. It's just a matter of doing some datalogging and mapping. The EU will then run off a MAP signal while feeding the appropriate corresponding MAF signal to the ECU to keep it happy (even the though the MAF has been physically removed).
Old 01-24-2006, 07:34 PM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

Wouldn't it be safer with a hot wire like the maf in colder situations? I know that Nigel is running his EMS with a map and it should get fairly cold there, but the AFR's change in direct relation to temperature. The IAT is not "that" precise of a measuring tool to guage how cold (dense) the air is it?

What else would you be planning on using? Is there a way to have to IAT control which system you'll be running?
Old 01-24-2006, 08:44 PM

hey guys any idea when a supercharge or turbo charge will come out for maximas2004+++
Old 01-24-2006, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by SEGirl
hey guys any idea when a supercharge or turbo charge will come out for maximas2004+++
This is for the emanage ultimate only. I don't think there are any for development, but there have been a few guys here that got a TC to work on the 5.5 gen. It shouldn't be that different. Check out this list in the stickies. Hopefully you can get enough posts to create your own thread soon.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:34 AM
3.5 in the works

Originally Posted by slimer
Wouldn't it be safer with a hot wire like the maf in colder situations? I know that Nigel is running his EMS with a map and it should get fairly cold there, but the AFR's change in direct relation to temperature. The IAT is not "that" precise of a measuring tool to guage how cold (dense) the air is it?

What else would you be planning on using? Is there a way to have to IAT control which system you'll be running?

Well I'm not sure how accurate the stock IAT sensor is, however I don't see this as a major problem. I think the IAT sensor is probably fine as long as it's located in a spot that's indicative of the temperature just before it enters the engine (well as much as possible). Also, if necessary a Greddy temp sensor (or maybe even other brands) could be used. But the main reason I don't think it's a big problem is that the absolute value of the air temp isn't so critical; the tuning is all done on a relative basis. Ie- using a WB you can dial in the correct A/F map for a given temp, even if the sensor has a small offset from the actual temp.

And as for the effect of air temp on A/F ratios, you are right, the downside of using the MAP is that it needs to be corrected for different temperatures, which means more tuning effort. But this is possible as the EU includes a fuel adjustment map based on air temp. To be safe, you'd want to set up the initial map during cold weather, that way without any adjustment you'd be richer than necessary come warm weather. Then adjust fuel as necessary via the adjustment map for various temperatures other than the initial tuning point.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:34 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

The EU can replace the MAF using a MAP sensor and the IAT map although not as well as a standalone could with a true 16x16 or so IAT map.

However, there is NO need to replace the MAF especially since 4th geners have the Z32 MAF or even bigger options.

Running the MAF will help driveability.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:35 AM

Haha...Dandy beat me to it and did a better explanation.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:37 AM
3.5 in the works

Hehe no worries Ice your points are valid too.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:01 PM

Hey guys, I kinda knew this too, but I thought y'all would do a better explaination than I could. I was just primarily concerned with why you were going to go that route.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:25 PM
Kevlo for President

So where is that crank signal board.

I have the "JoeJoe" Box, I wonder what Greddy calls thiers
Old 01-25-2006, 01:55 PM
3.5 in the works

PP finally finished it did they? (and that's the SMT-6 version right?)
Old 01-25-2006, 02:19 PM
Kevlo for President

PP finally finished it did they? (and that's the SMT-6 version right?)

Joe and I made the box long ago....

PP wasnt smart enough
Old 01-25-2006, 08:44 PM
3.5 in the works

yeah but didn't you need the cam too or something? i'm kind of forgetting now...
Old 01-29-2006, 07:10 PM
Maxima Owner

ok so i just read all 15 pages.....i am looking into piggy backs such as SMT and GReddy EU....did GReddy fix the problem with timing and rev limit...everythign blurred into one at page 14....new firmware or hardware updates
Old 01-30-2006, 09:35 AM
3.5 in the works

Still waiting on the add-on module for the pickup of the crank signal which will give more precise control... I will start a new thread once I have a good update to give as this thread is getting long.

However the rev limit appears to work. Timing retard seems to work, timing advance may also work but this has not been proven yet.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:17 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Still waiting on the add-on module for the pickup of the crank signal which will give more precise control... I will start a new thread once I have a good update to give as this thread is getting long.

However the rev limit appears to work. Timing retard seems to work, timing advance may also work but this has not been proven yet.
iam sorry if i missed itbut who got the rev limit to work?!
Old 02-01-2006, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by krismax
I think Icey was testing it....
Old 02-02-2006, 07:43 AM

Go back to your NA forum...nothing here.

J/K...http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=448742

Originally Posted by krismax
Old 02-09-2006, 08:38 AM
Kevlo for President

My buddy Jeremy talked to Kenji and he said it will be about 1-2 months on the Crank board from Greddy.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:43 AM

It isn't a must have, but will be easier *IF* it's ever released.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:14 AM
3.5 in the works

I will do everything I can to see that it is.

You know this is a good thing though.. the more people contacting Greddy asking about it the better.

In fact, everybody call in right now and ask!!!

Quick Reply: My Emanage Ultimate is here!