Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

My Emanage Ultimate is here!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 08:05 PM
Kevlo for President

No MSN for me Only AIM

It might be the shielding on the wire, we could try to run our own shielded wire from the crank sensor to the ecu and see what happens. If Greddy can fit it in the Firmware somehow, it would be awesome.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:15 PM
3.5 in the works

I suppose I could download AIM but I heard it was spyware and installs other junk on your computer.. any truth to that?

I'm going to try and pursue the firmware with Greddy. I will be pretty persistent with it but if all else fails I'll try doing some shielding or wiring in a filter. I'm determined to get this working one way or another.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:31 PM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

Originally Posted by DandyMax
I suppose I could download AIM but I heard it was spyware and installs other junk on your computer.. any truth to that?

I'm going to try and pursue the firmware with Greddy. I will be pretty persistent with it but if all else fails I'll try doing some shielding or wiring in a filter. I'm determined to get this working one way or another.
sucks that you would have to shield that wire all the way through to the ecm. Did zbigniew give you the voltage/af relationship in order to properly calibrate the WBO2 to the emanage.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:34 PM
3.5 in the works

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
I will add, using the filter is not a good option, I dont like it at all. SMT is starting to **** me off.
What's it doing? Why is the filter not working?
Old 08-22-2005, 08:37 PM
3.5 in the works

Originally Posted by slimer
sucks that you would have to shield that wire all the way through to the ecm. Did zbigniew give you the voltage/af relationship in order to properly calibrate the WBO2 to the emanage.
I just got that off Zeitronix's website. It's at the bottom of the zt-2 page.

Ya the crank issue is a real pain in the ***. But I'm not giving up that easily. Give me some time and we'll see. Just for fun, in the meantime I'll test the timing advance/retard and rev limit functions using only coil inputs.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

hey dandy, on the AIM thing, go download the program called Trillian, it makes it so you can use, MSN, AIM, ICQ, and YAhoo all from one program.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:44 PM
Kevlo for President

Yeah, Trillian is pretty nice. I have no Spyware with AIM.

SMT is very inconsistant. I get these random "jerks" every now and then. Some days it will be PERFECT and other days it will be ****. I need to clean my crank sensor and see if that does anything. What has Greddy said about this? Have you tried the CAM sensor?
Old 08-23-2005, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jime
Way too much work for me. And I still don't know if I can get a 4th Gen to run consistently let alone a 3.5 in one.
When the track is sticky, my times are usually within .5-.7 of each other, sometimes back-to-back runs are almost identical. That is with street tires and a 5MT (plus I have to shift 3 times). For example if I settle for 13.80's on a given day, it's gonna stay pretty much between 13.85 and 13.80 on most of the runs.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:52 PM
3.5 in the works

Yeah, Trillian is pretty nice. I have no Spyware with AIM.

SMT is very inconsistant. I get these random "jerks" every now and then. Some days it will be PERFECT and other days it will be ****. I need to clean my crank sensor and see if that does anything. What has Greddy said about this? Have you tried the CAM sensor?
Ok thanks for the suggestion, I'll check into the Trillian program.

I talked this over with Sharif today, and he also talked to Kenji at Greddy (USA). Kenji says that Greddy Japan has the EU working on a VQ30DET and he thinks that it should be working on a VQ30DE, although he hasn't tested one here in North America. He also said that unlike the VQ35, the VQ30 needs both crank and cam connected. But I did have both connected last night and it wasn't working so that's not the problem. Maybe it's just a Maxima specific thing with noise and emi etc..?

I think the plan at this point is to re-check all the wiring and scope the signals on Thursday night. Then we'll go from there.

Kev, any chance you or Joe would have a pic of the cam/crank signals, either before clean-up or after, that I could compare with mine? If so that'd be great to have.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:32 PM
Kevlo for President

We lack decent scopes Joe has a scope so you could ask him.

The problem IMO is that it lists the same crank signal for the VQ35 and the VQ20/30. The 20/30 has the same sensor and all but the VQ35 is a totally different beast. We might need to run an indpendent shielded wire to make it work. I need to try that but I longer have time to work on the SMT.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:29 PM

Just want to get updates on this.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:18 PM
3.5 in the works

We lack decent scopes Joe has a scope so you could ask him.

The problem IMO is that it lists the same crank signal for the VQ35 and the VQ20/30. The 20/30 has the same sensor and all but the VQ35 is a totally different beast. We might need to run an indpendent shielded wire to make it work. I need to try that but I longer have time to work on the SMT.
Yeah it's true the crank types all list as NS_4 but that's just a text string.. the program on the unit itself might be treating it differently for the VQ35. I know Sharif said it didn't work at first until Greddy Japan released firmware 1.06 which then fixed the VQ35, even though the text still says NS_4. So maybe NS_4 was actually for the 20/30 engines and not the 35? Who knows.

I suspect I may end up trying to run a shielded wire (or two) but we'll see what shows up on the scope first. Pending the results I'll probably discuss it with Kenji and/or send him the captures too.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:47 PM

just for my own information, what are y'all talking about when you talk about scope? is that the oscillation of the signal?
Old 08-23-2005, 11:00 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

Hey Dandy- what did u end up doing with the JWT ecu I sold u? I'm excited to see how the eu will turn out cuz I'm planning on going boost now and this would be great if most of the features would work for us. on being the the forst to try this out.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:37 AM
3.5 in the works

Slimer - scope as in oscilloscope... electronic device (expensive) that can display the signal output of sensors such as the crank/cam even though they are happening quickly (ie-milliseconds). A multimeter or voltmeter would only give you a fluctuating average number, but using the scope you can see the actual waveform pattern.

Jcy98maxse - I still have it... for now I don't mind being the guinea pig as I'm planning to do a VQ35 swap next year so the EU should work fine with it, even if we can't get it working fully on the VQ30. Nevertheless I'm going to do everything I possibly can to get it working.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:28 AM

thats what i thought. any luck?
Old 08-24-2005, 07:49 AM
3.5 in the works

Originally Posted by slimer
thats what i thought. any luck?
It's on the schedule for tomorrow night. I won't have any time today...
Old 08-24-2005, 04:24 PM
Kevlo for President

Which firmwares have you tried?
Old 08-24-2005, 07:18 PM
3.5 in the works

The latest version... 1.06
Old 08-24-2005, 11:47 PM

early Thursday morning bump...waiting for some information on how its going with the install...I hope you get it up and running, and are able to boost and tune

How do you like Zietronix ?? do you have the LCD display ?? how do you like it

Im looking at the LC-1 from innovative

-matt
Old 08-25-2005, 09:58 AM
Kevlo for President

The latest version... 1.06

Try the older version and see if it works
Old 08-25-2005, 10:26 AM

If that works that would likely disclude us from upgrading to anything newly released in the future - that would suck.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:37 AM
Kevlo for President

Originally Posted by iansw
If that works that would likely disclude us from upgrading to anything newly released in the future - that would suck.

It would mean Greddy could update both singals in the next firmware
Old 08-25-2005, 10:50 AM
3.5 in the works

I highly doubt an older version will work in this case... but I suppose it's worth a shot.

Still planning on trying to get a scope on there tonight.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:54 AM
Kevlo for President

I highly doubt an older version will work in this case... but I suppose it's worth a shot.

Still planning on trying to get a scope on there tonight.

It might be that the old firmware had the settings for the VQ20/25/30 and the new firmware has the correct settings for the VQ35. It is worth a shot.

Get a SCOPE of the CAM and CRANK, if you can, at the same time. Most 2+ channel scopes can do it. Make sure you save it and send it to me or Joe
Old 08-25-2005, 12:10 PM
3.5 in the works

You sure you don't have anything you can send me also on the signals you guys got? It sure would be nice to compare with mine.

Here's another thought... did you find the noise/signal problems worsening or lessening at certain rpms or was it pretty much the same across the board?

Oh - I downloaded that Trillian program, just haven't installed it yet.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:27 PM
Kevlo for President

You sure you don't have anything you can send me also on the signals you guys got? It sure would be nice to compare with mine.

Here's another thought... did you find the noise/signal problems worsening or lessening at certain rpms or was it pretty much the same across the board?

Oh - I downloaded that Trillian program, just haven't installed it yet.

The noise was at all RPMs. Joe might have the crank, you will have to ask him. We dont have the CAM at all and we need it. It would be nice to have both.

I want to try using my own shielded wire and see if that works.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:09 PM

so... whats going on?
Old 08-25-2005, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.Duck
so... whats going on?
well i'm waiting to order mine until i can get my car started.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:49 PM

well im waiting on an update from dandymax... anything yet man?
Old 08-26-2005, 04:59 AM

E-manage Blue

I'm interested to see how this works also... I have the E-Manage Blue and I heard I have to wait until GReddy makes some harness so I can do a direct swap from Blue to Ultimate. Does anyone know if they've made that harness yet?

Good luck w/the install and tuning Dandy.... you will be the 1st one to try this so everyone will be watching.

Deac
Old 08-26-2005, 05:22 AM

yes, you actually need two, but you can buy them in a package over at www.mohdparts.com

the other thing is that you need to make sure that you're ignition wires are wired correctly with the original blue harness.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:16 AM
3.5 in the works

Ok, here's a Friday morning update (I didn't post last night after working on this as it was 2am when I got home and I just crashed). I've got some good news and bad news. Here's what I did last night:

1) Rechecked all my wiring.
2) Scoped out several signals including crank and cam
3) Tried going back to older firmware that came on the CD (1.01 I think)

Results:
1)- No problems there... everything's wired correctly (as I suspected)
2)- Good news here.. my signals are BEE-UTIFUL! No noise at all and very crisp. I'm not sure why Kev had so many noise issues but I don't appear to. Both the cam and the crank signals looked very good. I checked the wires and they are already shielded. So I don't believe I need to do anything more with them.
3)- Bad news here... switching firmware did not work. EU was still not showing rpms or timing.

So, the bottom line here is that it appears to be a Greddy firmware problem, ie-they have not programmed it in even though it's supposedly "supported". The more I'm reading about others' experience, coupled with mine, it sounds like the EU was rushed out to market without being fully finished, especially when it comes to US spec cars. The next step now is to get after Greddy for a firmware update, which I will do.

Kev, I will get you and Joe pics of the cam and crank signals tonight.

Slimer, I saw your post on Yahoo regarding the ZT-2 AFR to volts curve etc... we can discuss more about this if you wish. I think I understand what they're doing, and I'm going to work it out for myself just to check. But basically we won't be able to use the Zeitronix and read the number on the EU directly, it will require looking up a value and comparing against a different curve. Unless there's a 0-5 output mode on the zt-2 unit... I don't remember right now, will look into it. Maybe I'm thinking of the 0-1 output to mimic a narrowband...

To those who are thinking of getting the EU... hang on a bit more guys! Maybe we can get a firmware update soon.. I'll keep chasing it with Sharif/Greddy.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:36 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Per the FSMs...here are the crank signals:

As you can see the peak voltages vary along with how fast they occur not to mention the VQ30 is a square wave.

This is probably just a matter of Greddy programming the software to read our type of CPS. However, this was their response to my email about adding the VQ30 CPS signal to their firmware....

Thanks for you interest in Greddy performance products. At this time we don't have an available wave crank angle sensor that would work with this for the e-manage ultimate.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:26 PM
3.5 in the works

That response from Greddy is kind of confusing the way it's written...

When you see the VQ30 wave on the scope, it's not a perfect square, but it's still a clean signal. The picture's a bit small to see fine details but at first glance it actually looks similar to the Z33 shape. I should be able to post some pics tonight (I'm at work now).

I'm not giving up that easily on a firmware update. My question is, they claim to have it working on a VQ30DET. If the signals are the same, then why wouldn't it work? Either they're full of it or the signals are different.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:56 PM
Kevlo for President

The FSM signal are not enough, Perfect Power wanted them from a scope from us.

I still dont like using a filter. W/o the filter, the RPM's read like this:
650,650,650,6500,650,650,6500--That is in a matter of ONE SECOND. All the noise spikes are x10.
I am sure once Greddy see's the scope signals, they will fix it.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:47 PM
3.5 in the works

I just spoke to Sharif again. We're not sure now that Greddy Japan has actually tested the VQ30DET. I think Greddy's response to our initial question was more along the lines of "it should work on the DE because the DET is supported." Same thing they said for the VQ35, but it didn't work on the Z until they fixed the firmware. So I suspect there's no working 30DET either, even in Japan. They probably need a firmware update/fix to get the signals recognized properly, just like the Z did. At least I can get them good waveforms off the scope if need be.

Kev, forgive the stupid question, it's not that I don't believe you but just for my own info... are you 100% sure the DET cam/crank signals are the same as the DE? And from where did you get the info to confirm that they are the same? Thx.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:54 PM
Kevlo for President

Kev, forgive the stupid question, it's not that I don't believe you but just for my own info... are you 100% sure the DET cam/crank signals are the same as the DE? And from where did you get the info to confirm that they are the same? Thx.

They have the EXACT same sensors(I asked the person who has the DE and DET to confirm ). I will find the FSM of the DET to double check. But the VQ20 has the SAME SIGNAL as the VQ30. So try the VQ20 or VQ25. They have the same signal and sensor as us.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:10 PM
3.5 in the works

Would that be Tilley by any chance? I was looking for a FSM of the DET briefy the other day but didn't find one. Please give me a link if you find one online...

I have tried all the VQ series motors, to no avail.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:19 PM

Greddy better back this up. Getting tired of struggling to find a tuning solution just because we basically have family sedans. It just shouldn't be this hard.

Quick Reply: My Emanage Ultimate is here!