Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

My Emanage Ultimate is here!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 01:52 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

I knew this wasn't just me and now I have evidence this could be a 5th gen thing as Dixit aka BigDogJonx had the same P1320 code on the BLUE eManage here:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....=P1320+emanage

Now, that really has me disturbed.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:59 PM
Kevlo for President

chris'smax

Is using the BLUE on a 5th gen, I assume he has no CEL.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:10 PM

He ALWAYS has a CEL, so he wouldn't know.

Good info though, I'll have to ask him to pull codes.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:11 PM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

so icey you have a plug and play harness? how much is one of those?
Old 08-29-2005, 02:16 PM

Actually, I just looked at his latest emanage file he sent me and he doesn't have the ignition timing map selected, so I don't think he's pulling timing.

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
chris'smax

Is using the BLUE on a 5th gen, I assume he has no CEL.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:18 PM

I made it...well a guy at work I paid and I made it.

If you have to ask...you couldn't afford it. J/K..I don't know since it was a "friend" deal.

Originally Posted by slimer
so icey you have a plug and play harness? how much is one of those?
Old 08-29-2005, 02:56 PM

Correction to my previous post(now edited) thanks to BigDogJonx.

The BLUE emanage also cut/intercepted the ignition pulse.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

wow you guys are having all sorts of problems w/ this thing.... has anybody tried the 1.06 software and firmware together yet? .... as far as the ignition codes thats the same problem the mazdaspeed had, the minute i connected the cam/crank angle sensor wires, the car would throw a fit, cam angle would just make it run like crap, crank would make it run like crap, plus throw a code. It did run fine off of just the RPM wire however. we never made it to try and adjust the ignition timing on that car, since we couldn't get it to read the cam/crank, or airflow meter for the MSP, and GReddy seemed to have no interest in helping us get the information to make it work.

It is really frustrating that GReddy released this product LONG before it was ready to go on sale. If they needed some people to test it, they should have mentioned that when they went on sale. lol

Wish i could help more, but w/ out a maxima here to play w/, theres not much i can do. I will be doing the next install in a 3000GT, so hopefully that goes well. If you guys still don't have this figured out in a week or so, i can put a scope on the IS, to get a reading of the cam/crank, and then on the 3000GT, and see if either of those matches at all to the ones in the maxima
good luck!
Old 08-30-2005, 06:51 AM
3.5 in the works

I'll be trying 1.06 with 1.06 tonight, as well as setting the software up for a couple of Honda and Toyota engines, just for fun. I don't expect it to work though.

You're right... this EU product is only half finished. They just threw it out on the market but lots of the applications listed in the software as being supported really aren't yet.. at least not if you use the crank, and yet isn't that what everyone would want to do? Shame on them.

For the price you pay for this thing, you'd expect it to work. Or at least give me a discount to pay for all my time and effort mucking around and having to scope things etc.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:33 AM

I tried v1.06b...it actually ran worse, but you can see timing...it just isn't accurate based of ignition pulses.

John@J&S gave me a few pointers to try that he uses in his Safegaurds, so hopefully that solves my CEL which seems to only effect VQ30 5th gens..

BTW Brandon, I did confirm that the injector scaling just reduces pulsewidth, ie no MAF conditioning. Also, found out the hard way that the analog input/ouput reference in the chart is backwards and the picture in the manual is correct. At least disconnecting it fixed my initial high idle, since I had TPS running through it for future purposes.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:53 AM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

how many of the functions do you have working?
Old 08-30-2005, 11:01 AM

None...it's sitting inside my garage, the EU that is. I only got it to idle, however the CEL kept me from driving her. Until I figure out the CEL, I'm not going any further.

Hopefully, Dandy can get Kenji or I can get whoever at info@greddy.com to add our crank type to the software. Otherwise, we're stuck just using ignition pulses as inputs and since they vary according to timing, that's not a very accurate source.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I don't understand why Greddy isn't doing anything about this. Right now you're stuck with a 600+$ product that is capable of precisely jack sh*t. When are those dumb@sses gonna get off their meat and help you guys out? You don't throw out such an expensive product out there and cover your eyes and ears when someone tells you it's not working. At all. WTF Greddy?

I need this thing, I've got someone to install it, cash in hand, and I'm sure plenty of others are too. What's the word from them? Are they pulling soms bull about not having the time to check this? Why are they keeping us in the dark. The EU has been out since mid July in the US, how long is it going to take before our ECU's are supported? Are cars are 10-years old dammit, shouldn't be that hard to crack those signals.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by JClaw
I don't understand why Greddy isn't doing anything about this. Right now you're stuck with a 600+$ product that is capable of precisely jack sh*t. When are those dumb@sses gonna get off their meat and help you guys out? You don't throw out such an expensive product out there and cover your eyes and ears when someone tells you it's not working. At all. WTF Greddy?
This is the same thing that happend when the Z guys went to install this. It didnt work, (couldnt read crank signal), greddy updated the firmware, and now it works flawlessly
Give it some time, they will back up there product

-matt
Old 08-30-2005, 04:06 PM

Yeah, except they helped out the Z guys immediately, there were a ton of them interested, but they haven't given us any kind of sign that they're actually gonna maybe think about possibly looking at our case anytime soon or at all for that matter.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:45 PM
3.5 in the works

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
I tried v1.06b...it actually ran worse, but you can see timing...it just isn't accurate based of ignition pulses.

John@J&S gave me a few pointers to try that he uses in his Safegaurds, so hopefully that solves my CEL which seems to only effect VQ30 5th gens..

BTW Brandon, I did confirm that the injector scaling just reduces pulsewidth, ie no MAF conditioning. Also, found out the hard way that the analog input/ouput reference in the chart is backwards and the picture in the manual is correct. At least disconnecting it fixed my initial high idle, since I had TPS running through it for future purposes.
So are you saying that the picture on page 19 is correct? (ie- pin 31 is actually output, and pin 37 is input?) Well that might explain why my knock sensor isn't showing up properly. Doh.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:51 PM

I'm sure it doesn't work the way it's on page 11 with the default values, ie 1:1, since it was causing my TPS to be wrong and my car to idle ~2Krpm.

Not 100% sure though, since I forgot to try it after I bypassed it.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:54 PM

Also, did you modify your injector, timing, or airflow maps load axis variable?
Old 08-30-2005, 05:01 PM
3.5 in the works

Another mini update

So tonight I switched to 1.06/1.06. Didn't notice any difference as long as I was running the VQ30 setting.

But, I started trying some other engines, namely some Honda and Toyota ones, to see if we'd get lucky with the crank signal. Nothing Honda worked, and most of the Toyota ones didn't either until I tried the 2JZ-GTE, and to my surprise it started picking up rpms using the crank angle. I didn't have a scan tool handy but it seemed close, going off the tach anyways.

However, the timing wasn't close. At idle it was showing -4 to -6 degrees and just for fun I advanced 2 degrees and it went to -3 to -1. Then I retarded 2 deg to see what would happen and then it showed up as 118 to 120 on the EU. Doh! Also, using these settings, doing a quick rev up high and back down, my car threw 2 CEL's.. 0101 (cam sensor) and the good old knock code (0304).

I should be talking to Kenji tomorrow (didn't get a chance today as I was away all day) and I'll let everyone know what comes out of that conversation.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:06 PM
3.5 in the works

Also, did you modify your injector, timing, or airflow maps load axis variable?
No, just left it on airflow. But I also haven't modified any of the maps really unless it was just a short temporary experimentation, like tonight with timing at idle..
Old 08-30-2005, 05:08 PM
Kevlo for President

Ty_1
Ty_2

Now on to Honda...

Damn I am good
Old 08-30-2005, 05:11 PM

Were you still using the POS or are you now using the REF crank signal?

Originally Posted by DandyMax
So tonight I switched to 1.06/1.06. Didn't notice any difference as long as I was running the VQ30 setting.

But, I started trying some other engines, namely some Honda and Toyota ones, to see if we'd get lucky with the crank signal. Nothing Honda worked, and most of the Toyota ones didn't either until I tried the 2JZ-GTE, and to my surprise it started picking up rpms using the crank angle. I didn't have a scan tool handy but it seemed close, going off the tach anyways.

However, the timing wasn't close. At idle it was showing -4 to -6 degrees and just for fun I advanced 2 degrees and it went to -3 to -1. Then I retarded 2 deg to see what would happen and then it showed up as 118 to 120 on the EU. Doh! Also, using these settings, doing a quick rev up high and back down, my car threw 2 CEL's.. 0101 (cam sensor) and the good old knock code (0304).

I should be talking to Kenji tomorrow (didn't get a chance today as I was away all day) and I'll let everyone know what comes out of that conversation.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:14 PM
3.5 in the works

Using the REF now plus the CAM.

POS is disconnected.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:14 PM

When you say you retarded the timing, do you mean in the timing maps or were you using the "Off Set Angle"?

The manual says to use the Off Set Angle to correct any differences in the displayed ignition timing and the actual timing.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:16 PM
Kevlo for President

Try the revlimit, timing is not important right now
Greddy can fix the timing part easily.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:20 PM
3.5 in the works

I did it in the map.

Using the offset for a couple degrees is one thing. But at idle the car's running 15-20 deg.. so if the EU is reading -4 to -6, that's one hell of an offset. Doesn't seem quite right to me. It should be closer than that if the signal's right.

Is the EU figuring out timing based only on the crank, or how does it use the cam? Because if the 2JZ cam signal is significantly different maybe that's playing into things somehow? I know at one point the EU was flashing red and giving me an error message saying it wasn't picking up the cam signal (it was looking for Toyota cam and getting Nissan perhaps?) Does that make any sense?
Old 08-30-2005, 05:21 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Im surprised the 2JZ worked somewhat, its a very different crank sensor 36-2 crank wheel or something like that IIRC. The 0101 code stems from to much variation with the crank sensor. The ECU compares the two and if they are to out of whack throws a 0101 code. Happens to me with the SMT when I advance timing to much.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:22 PM

Don't use the cam signal with v1.06, it was customized to work for the VQ35s crank and ignition only.

I'd use the offset angle until the timing at idle was ~15degrees.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:24 PM
3.5 in the works

Originally Posted by 98SEBlackMax
Im surprised the 2JZ worked somewhat, its a very different crank sensor 36-2 crank wheel or something like that IIRC. The 0101 code stems from to much variation with the crank sensor. The ECU compares the two and if they are to out of whack throws a 0101 code. Happens to me with the SMT when I advance timing to much.
Oh ok that makes sense.

Ya I was kind of surprised it "worked" too. I really didn't expect anything Toyota or Honda to work. (I was 95% right. lol)
Old 08-30-2005, 05:30 PM
3.5 in the works

Don't use the cam signal with v1.06, it was customized to work for the VQ35s crank and ignition only.

I'd use the offset angle until the timing at idle was ~15degrees.
I was told by Sharif that according to Greddy the VQ35 was the exception, most other cars needed both connected. This is the kind of thing I need to discuss with Kenji.

I could try it though and see what happens. Either way I'll probably still get the CEL's. I don't think the crank signal is exactly right. Offset or no offset, why would the Greddy jump from displaying -4 to +118 after only retarding 2 deg? Using an offest it would still jump to +137 then.. (offset 19)
Old 08-30-2005, 05:31 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Oh ok that makes sense.

Ya I was kind of surprised it "worked" too. I really didn't expect anything Toyota or Honda to work. (I was 95% right. lol)
Are you tapping into the crank signal or running it thru the Emanage and out to the ECU? I ask cause Ive always had crank tapping issues with the SMT, it drew to much signal and the ECU didn't have enough signal to operate properly. The effects were quite fugly on the dyno, possibly some of the weirdest dynos Ive ever seen.

Also if your just tapping that doesn't seem to make sense that you got a 0101 code. The crank signal should not be modified by the EU and the ECU shouldnt know the difference. The presence of that code scares me...

You know its funny how I put up with all this **** making the SMT-6 work on my car without a single post and now here is like 7 pages of stuff.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:32 PM

You're probably right...

Explain to me again why we should use the REF sensor when it only detects TDC(120-degrees) vs. the POS sensor which detects a 1-degree signal?

I would think we'd want the 1-degree resolution for advancing/retarding timing, right?
Old 08-30-2005, 05:34 PM
Kevlo for President

REF controls timing, POS does not.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:35 PM

What do you mean?
Old 08-30-2005, 05:37 PM
Kevlo for President

ECU uses the Crank REF(and CAM) to read rpms and to control the timing.

The Crank POS is only used to read RPMs. It is explained better in the FSM.
The EU will not be able to read timing through the POS
Old 08-30-2005, 05:38 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Maybe the Emange needs both?

POS and REF...

One lets the emange know the rpms and the other lets it know the timing.

Also maybe we should have a chat room setup instead of posting like this?
Old 08-30-2005, 05:39 PM

Not on a 5.0gen?

ECU uses the Crank REF(and CAM) to read rpms and to control the timing.

The Crank POS is only used to read RPMs. It is explained better in the FSM.
The EU will not be able to read timing through the POS
Old 08-30-2005, 05:39 PM
3.5 in the works

Originally Posted by 98SEBlackMax
Are you tapping into the crank signal or running it thru the Emanage and out to the ECU? I ask cause Ive always had crank tapping issues with the SMT, it drew to much signal and the ECU didn't have enough signal to operate properly. The effects were quite fugly on the dyno, possibly some of the weirdest dynos Ive ever seen.

Also if your just tapping that doesn't seem to make sense that you got a 0101 code. The crank signal should not be modified by the EU and the ECU shouldnt know the difference. The presence of that code scares me...

You know its funny how I put up with all this **** making the SMT-6 work on my car without a single post and now here is like 7 pages of stuff.

Haha.. ya you should have posted a 7-page thread too

Yes the crank gets tapped, not intercepted. Hmm.. you think the EU is drawing too much on the signal line also?

The code is disconcerting yes... is it only thrown if the cam gets out of sync with the crank? Or are there other causes?

Really, it'd be nice just to do away with all this shooting in the dark and get a firmware update from Greddy specifically for the VQ30DE (or DET). Then lets see how it runs, if there are still issues like this.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:41 PM

Here's how fuel is determined on a 5.0gen....

Old 08-30-2005, 05:50 PM

Here's the 4th gens...and I see why this may work on a 4th gen and not a 5.0gen:

Quick Reply: My Emanage Ultimate is here!