Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

hks f-con v-pro

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 11:53 AM

hks f-con v-pro

has anyone looked into this device yet? could it work for our cars? i haven't heard much about the aem EMS system, i think nigel was trying to get that to work on our cars but it seems like that the idea of adapting the aem system in our car was tossed out the window. i've heard alot of good stories about the f-con. the emanage ultimate doesn't seem like it's quite enough, it's still a piggy back
Old 09-02-2005, 12:05 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

You want a piggyback NOT a standalone. Todays' piggybacks are pretty much fully tuneable without the standalone headaches.

The HKS Fcon works on RWD VQ35s, however only an authorized HKS tuner can tune your car. Not a big deal if you live near one and don't mind paying big $$$ for the cost of the unit, cost of the install, and HUGE cost of tuning.

I prefer the cheap cost piggyback, free self-install, and self tunability on a much smaller scale, ie don't need to build maps from scratch risking engine damage.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:12 PM
SLOW

What features are you looking for that the EU does not offer? IMHO unless you are looking to make EXTREME, and I mean extreme power there's no point in even looking at a $1600 engine management system for a maxima when there are piggybacks out there that work great.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:31 PM

People don't realize that we don't have the aftermarket to support "one map fits XXX mods" for our engine like Honduhs, DSMs, etc. have.

The initial steep price of a standalone like AEM EMS, HKS FCON, Haltech, Electromotive TEC-III, etc. is *CHEAP* compared to what you'll spend tuning one. Unless you have FREE dyno time and someone that knows what they're doing to build fuel/timing maps from scratch...you'd better have deep pockets. Even so called experienced tuners will blow up engines unless they're pretty familar with that setup. That is why these guys speciallize in only a few applications and are so secretive once they have tunes that work.

Everyone knocks "piggybacks" as not being as fully functional or as precise as standalones, however IMO that was early crude piggyback AFCs and NOT these newer laptop programmable units.

TRUST ME when I say you want a piggyback to retain the stock driveability, cold starts, hot starts, closed-loop logic, etc.. Unless you are building something that is meant to be open-loop all the time, ie racing, it's just NOT worth the cost, hassle, loss of driveability.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:06 PM

thanks for ur feedback.. i guess piggy back it is then... ill just keep running the cartech FMU and what not until the emanage ultimate works smoothly on our cars..
Old 09-02-2005, 05:01 PM

Aren't you going FI?

If so, the EU already does everything you need, ie scale injectors, retard timing, clamp MAF, etc..

The logging and WB02 target map alone are worth it.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:56 AM
SLOW

I haven't been following the EU thread that closely as I've been struggling with my own problems with my car, but to my knowledge the main thing that isn't "working" yet on our cars is the rev limiter increase, right? If that's the case, you might as well get the EU since as Icey said, it already does everything else you need. If someone gets the rev limiter working then great, that functionality is there for you too. If the rev limiter never works then that sucks, but it won't work on one of the standalones either unless someone puts huge time and effort into getting it to work, which is much more likely to happen with th EU, since multiple guys are going to be using it, whereas with any standalone, you are going to be the only one. And not to mention the exorbitant cost of the unit itself, and the huge cost of building maps for a car that has no base maps available. Heck my friend had AEM EMS for a DSM, which obviously has tons of aftermarket available, and his car wouldn't even START on any of the "base maps" available which mimicked his mods almost exactly.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:35 AM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

Alex-I thought y'all were having trouble with the crank sensor, thats why I've been so reluctant. Why can't you use the rpm output. I know that its not as clean of a signal, but its better than the ignition signal that changes with timing.