Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

FI vs. NA

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 03:14 PM
Blu
the tits

Originally Posted by 96sleeper
Help me out with those things. 280whp+ would be nice...
Contact SR20DEN about the manifold if you are interested, I myself cannot duplicate his design out of respect to him. As far as the timing, about the only way I can think of to get that right is somehow get the maps from a 350z and either send your ECU back to JWT for them to remap or go EU and do all your tuning yourself. You could sell the JWT for more than the EU costs and I myself would rather go the EU route so you can advance and retard the timing at will and not have to pay JWT $100 each time to make changes. Now that the rev limit is working on the EU you can also raise the rev limit to the desired rpm *cough* 7500 . I would recommend getting rod bolts if you plan to rev the car that high though.
I've got some Nismo 262's sitting at the house that are going in his car soon so when that happens you will get a pretty good idea at what your car will do with the right timing maps and his manifold.

I'll talk to Matt when he gets back in town and see what he can do about the manifold.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:42 PM
BUY MY CARS PLEASE!!!

Originally Posted by ajcool2
Jay_pee99 and yeah I'd love to see a rematch of that.
WELL LETS DO THIS! ahum.....gotta get my blown motor out and the new one in first
Old 04-20-2006, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by michaelnyden
I agree with chris'smax on page 1 of this thread...the people that have done the 3.5 swap are usually drag race (straight line track ******) and I don't mean that in a derogatory sense...it's just the simple fact, they have a lot more experience in prepping, launching, and setuping their cars to be lighter and faster in the 1/4, ie tire pressures, weight reduction, better suspension setup, stickier tires....so therefore a fully modded bolt-on 3.5L should keep up with a 3.0 S/C'ed running 300whp to the 1/4...but I think that is because they are much more efficient at putting down the power to the ground...they have just enough power to get out of hole very fast, but not waste the first 2 gears of acceleration like 3.0's do when they are s/c'ed...well atleast all the ones I have been in...meaning the boosted 3.0's have to waste a lot of acceleration they could have in 1st and 2nd gear since they have way to much power...but if you look at their trap speeds such as requin6's video taped 12.9 runs on a slightly slipping exedy stage 1 and 3.125 pulley, he wastes a lot of acceleration in 1st and some of 2nd with only 320whp and no weight reduction, you will see that his traps are crazy...comparing those to other cars from the factory such a porsche turbo which has awd...they run the same traps but their 1/4's are about a half second faster since they can get out of the hole and put the power down through those first few gears without the necessity to feather the throttle...so the real test of power/weight is not off the line, but from a roll...then my vote would without question go to the boosted 3.0...
I go with the boost! I drive on the streets 99.999% of the time. My maxima enjoyment comes from driving, not so much as drag racing... I ran a 13.6 with 10psi on a V1, fully loaded with 26.5lb wheels/street tires. Racing from a stop is all good but it is much harder on the car. Both are nice in there own ways.. Nothing beats the pull of boost kicking in.
Putting in de-k with all new blower and emanaget his week..w/2.87
Old 04-20-2006, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Blu←
Requin has about the fastest SC only 1/4 to date that I've seen with is a 12.9@110. What you are wrong about is his car was fully gutted also. I've ran SR20DEN when I was making 320whp and I got the slight edge but it wasn't nowhere near as much as some of you think. 320whp SC'ed will get beat by a 280whp NA 3.5l 4th gen with the cars weighing the same. It doesn't matter if its from a roll or a dig, the 3.5l at those power levels will have just as much traction issues as SC'ed cars.

ahh but his runs were on street tires if i am not mistaken. To me that is pretty impressive.

But no matter how you look at it $ for $ the 3.5 blows the SC out of the water
Old 04-20-2006, 06:24 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i like the 3.5 swapped 4th gen w/ a supercharger idea. why not have both instead of just one if we are talking about horsepower?
Old 04-20-2006, 07:49 PM
BUY MY CARS PLEASE!!!

i agree for the cash 3.5 blows SC out of the water
Old 04-20-2006, 08:03 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

This will blow your mind:

3.5 with 350z manifold and G35 roots type supercharger.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:11 PM
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by tavarish
This will blow your mind:

3.5 with 350z manifold and G35 roots type supercharger.

Curious... How are you going to have both a 350Z intake manifold and the G35 roots type supercharger?
Old 04-20-2006, 08:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Nismo3112
Curious... How are you going to have both a 350Z intake manifold and the G35 roots type supercharger?
Two-foot tall power bulge FTMFL...
Old 04-20-2006, 09:29 PM
SLOW

Just for clarification, my comment in the other thread was directed at these comments of yours:

However, All motor your car will NEVER be as fast/powerful as a boosted 3.0 can be... So I saved up another $1,000 and now beat up on ANYTHING all motor with a 3.5L engine in it... You are stuck with 245whp (if that)
For the record, I was not saying that a boosted 3.0 at is maximum potential would get beaten by an all motor 3.5 ever... that would be just asinine. I can guarantee no all motor 3.5 is ever going to be as fast as my car is (unless it is in a 2000lb car). That was not what I was talking about. I was talking about the notion that a stock pulley or even "normal" pulley upgraded 3.0 SC max will beat "any" 3.5L all motor maxima, 3.33, 3.25, 3.125, etc.

With regards to your second comment, I get annoyed when people make assumptions such as the one you made, which is what prompted me to make my comment. Until you have actually run vastly superior track times to 96sleeper's, sr20den's, even JClaw's, you don't have a clue as to how bad you will or won't be beating up on "anything all motor with a 3.5L in it." Like I said before, in all likelihood your times will be not significantly better, but more likely the same or worse than the best 3.5L all motor numbers. You'd have to put down the best numbers EVER put down by an SC only maxima to "beat up" on the premier 3.5L guys on here.

The last comment was just completely off base as both 96sleeper and SR20DEN have shattered your predicited 245whp ceiling (heck sr20den did it like a year or two ago).

By the way, guys are just starting to scratch the surface of what the all motor 3.5 is capable of. This is not meant to take anything away from 96sleeper - and I know he won't take it that way because he is a self aware type of guy - but all he did was put cams in the motor and put the motor in a 4th gen. Maybe a little tuning and a little work on the intake manifold. That's it. Nothing he did was earth shattering. His setup isn't even near being tapped out. We (maximas) haven't even begun to realize the potential the 3.5 has in "all motor" form. Guys have gone well beyond 300whp in all motor 3.5s in 350zs and G35s.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:41 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

Originally Posted by nismology
Two-foot tall power bulge FTMFL...
FWD shaker hood.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:11 PM

I will have to disagree, from requin vids, his car didn't look gutted at all and from what he told me when I asked him....in either case, he admitted that his clutch was slipping, and his tune was less than optimal and he was running only the 3.125 pulley...so there is much more to be had..., but from a roll, my experiences are that FI cars never run out of breath...unless of course the 3.5NA was made for all out top end power (ie cams, extended limiter, and a very good tune, as well as a well designed IM)...but also 40whp blu as you stated can make a huge difference in traction...the difference can completely mean being able to go to the floor with the throttle or having to feather it for a considerable amount of time or even worse, spin horribly, wasting acceleration...

but I will maintain what I said, from a dig, it would be a close match...but from a roll...and leaving traction issues out of the picture, I think the win would easily be the boosted max...especially if we are talking about 260-270whp vs. 300-350whp...that S/C'ed max's are putting out these days...
Old 04-21-2006, 04:44 AM
Blu
the tits

but also 40whp blu as you stated can make a huge difference in traction...the difference can completely mean being able to go to the floor with the throttle or having to feather it for a considerable amount of time or even worse, spin horribly, wasting acceleration...
Have you driven a 3.5L Maxima making 260whp NA, and are you forgetting about the torque curves of the 3.5L? They have just as many traction issues at those power levels in first gear as a SC'ed Maxima. There is no traction issue in a SC'ed Max in 2nd gear unless they bang the crap out of the shift. I guess some are over looking the fact that I have driven and owned both of the cars in question so Im talking from experience not just opinion.

but I will maintain what I said, from a dig, it would be a close match...but from a roll...and leaving traction issues out of the picture, I think the win would easily be the boosted max...especially if we are talking about 260-270whp vs. 300-350whp...that S/C'ed max's are putting out these days...
You seem like one of those that just base your judgements off peak numbers. Like I said above when I ran SR20DEN at the 300-320whp level I did not pull on him hard at all and our cars where almost at the same weight at the time. A SC'ed Maxima is not fast at all for a car that makes 350whp and IMO its more of a dyno queen and posting a big number for bragging rights. The area under the curve sucks not to mention having no low end torque.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:16 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

I would like to do some runfile comparisons of a 3.5L, SC, and TC.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:20 AM

but I will maintain what I said, from a dig, it would be a close match...but from a roll...and leaving traction issues out of the picture, I think the win would easily be the boosted max..
to me the bottom line is winning or losing not you won because you have this or that. its like saying i can beat carl lewis if he runs on his knees,lol. why would he agree to lose just to make someone happy. i dont know what all the rukus is about sc vs na they're two different ball games. if i ever run and feel im losing your getting the bottle buddy, id rather say i had to juice you for the win than to say yeh you beat me,lol.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:48 AM
Blu
the tits

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
I would like to do some runfile comparisons of a 3.5L, SC, and TC.
I overlayed my 322whp dyno run over Matts 255whp dyno run on the same dyno/same night and he had 50+whp over my car until I hit the 255whp mark at around 5.5k IIRC. I dont remember the torque but I know it was in the same ballpark. I don't have the files myself but I think Matt might have them. I'll post them up once hes back in town if he does in fact still have them saved.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:00 AM

I overlayed my 322whp dyno run over Matts 255whp dyno run on the same dyno/same night and he had 50+whp over my car until I hit the 255whp mark at around 5.5k IIRC. I dont remember the torque but I know it was in the same ballpark. I don't have the files myself but I think Matt might have them. I'll post them up once hes back in town if he does in fact still have them saved.
That's what I was wanting to show people who I don't think understand the power curve of a vortec SC Maxima. A 320-330 whp SC max is only making good power for the last 1K rpm's or so, which doesn't do much for track times.

Look at StephenMax's dyno. This is no slight to him, we all know the respect he deserves and his set up is very nice and he would be the first to tell you that his power band is not ideal. But w/o the extended rev limiter he is only making decent power after 6K rpm's.

Old 04-21-2006, 06:02 AM
fwd gone rwd cr00

Originally Posted by C MAX
to me the bottom line is winning or losing not you won because you have this or that. its like saying i can beat carl lewis if he runs on his knees,lol. why would he agree to lose just to make someone happy. i dont know what all the rukus is about sc vs na they're two different ball games. if i ever run and feel im losing your getting the bottle buddy, id rather say i had to juice you for the win than to say yeh you beat me,lol.
that's called "street racing insurance"
Old 04-21-2006, 06:12 AM
Blown

I will have to disagree, from requin vids, his car didn't look gutted at all and from what he told me when I asked him....in either case, he admitted that his clutch was slipping, and his tune was less than optimal and he was running only the 3.125 pulley...so there is much more to be had..., but from a roll, my experiences are that FI cars never run out of breath...unless of course the 3.5NA was made for all out top end power (ie cams, extended limiter, and a very good tune, as well as a well designed IM)...but also 40whp blu as you stated can make a huge difference in traction...the difference can completely mean being able to go to the floor with the throttle or having to feather it for a considerable amount of time or even worse, spin horribly, wasting acceleration...

I was there the day Paul ran his 12.9...I believe his trap was 111. If he would put slicks on his car he could run a "good" deal quicker. His car was gutted for a maxima. All the junk was out of the trunk and only a driver seat was in the car. As for his clutch slipping that may be true, i am not sure, but when he was snatching second his car was pulling toward the jersey wall....so I don't know how bad it was slipping.

I am also supercharged on the 3.125 pulley. I also have the goal of seeing 12's on this pulley which I think is possible. I have a MEVI that I have not put in yet, and I am saving up for emanage currently. My best time so far is 13.4@107...and my tune is horrible, which anyone will tell you that has seen my dyno sheets or have had to the pleasure of being behind me and getting high off the raw gas coming out of my tail pipe when I boost.

**oh yeah** and the guy that was racing JP....don't race him unless you know what you are getting into....he has taken out many people who have plenty more power than he does.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by tavarish
that's called "street racing insurance"
yes insurance,lol. the sc is nice and reliable but it has no kick until higher rpm and for most its too late for that. to me the lowest point of the s/c is the beginning of the gear it seems so dead there so thats when i inject some torque to compensate,lol.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:07 AM
BUY MY CARS PLEASE!!!

Originally Posted by cardana24
**oh yeah** and the guy that was racing JP....don't race him unless you know what you are getting into....he has taken out many people who have plenty more power than he does.
thanks for the warning but all i gotta say is he should be VERY afraid. I like him and all the DC crew guys a lot even though im not chillin with them that much to me their fam.....but im still salty
Old 04-21-2006, 09:25 AM

I take it your races blu were from a standing start? like I said from a roll I think it would be a different story...since you are starting in the optimal powerband for a S/C'ed maxima and keeping it there...

nonetheless I do have to pay homage to your experience, and I understand and where you are coming from in this matter...but given the smaller pullies, you would start making good power sooner, such as with the 2.87 or 2.62...

what we need is a complete graph overlay with the integrals to show power under the curve totals...
Old 04-21-2006, 09:56 AM
Blu
the tits

I take it your races blu were from a standing start? like I said from a roll I think it would be a different story...since you are starting in the optimal powerband for a S/C'ed maxima and keeping it there...

nonetheless I do have to pay homage to your experience, and I understand and where you are coming from in this matter...but given the smaller pullies, you would start making good power sooner, such as with the 2.87 or 2.62...

what we need is a complete graph overlay with the integrals to show power under the curve totals...
I am talking about a roll on race...Even though you are in boost from a roll race you are only in the 300whp level for a second or so at the peak of each gear while the 3.5 is at peak power from the hit of the throttle and holds it though each gear vs having to build the power back up after every shift. A Vortech SC'ed Maxima has a terrible power band no matter what kind of pulley, Stephen Max really didn't gain any power from a smaller pulley swap until around 5.5-6k rpms.
3.0 vs 2.87
Old 04-21-2006, 10:20 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I am talking about a roll on race...Even though you are in boost from a roll race you are only in the 300whp level for a second or so at the peak of each gear while the 3.5 is at peak power from the hit of the throttle and holds it though each gear vs having to build the power back up after every shift. A Vortech SC'ed Maxima has a terrible power band no matter what kind of pulley, Stephen Max really didn't gain any power from a smaller pulley swap until around 5.5-6k rpms.
3.0 vs 2.87
man you making people wanna throw their s/c in the garbage and just swap a 3.5 liter ....lol
Old 04-21-2006, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by bgcease92
man you making people wanna throw their s/c in the garbage and just swap a 3.5 liter ....lol
before that happens one gotta get by me first,then i'l throw it out,lol.
Paradox Systems Vendor

Kinda wished I had this argument last yr. LOL.

A SC set up is still not a bad way to go. They are simple and fairly inexpensive. 4 yrs ago there were no really fast 3.5's and hardly any turbo guys. SC was really the only way to go to get some decent power. I would say that today, with the recent break throughs in 3.5 swaps and more info on TC maxima's, a SC set up is probably the least desireable, but it's still not a bad option for those not trying to break any records.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:40 AM
Paradox Systems Vendor

A SC set up is still not a bad way to go. They are simple and fairly inexpensive. 4 yrs ago there were no really fast 3.5's and hardly any turbo guys. SC was really the only way to go to get some decent power. I would say that today, with the recent break throughs in 3.5 swaps and more info on TC maxima's, a SC set up is probably the least desireable, but it's still not a bad option for those not trying to break any records.
Well put IMO. I still want a safe 400whp Maxima though. SC to me was reliable boost compared to TC.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:51 AM
Blu
the tits

Thats not my purpose in this thread, a SC'ed car is a lot of fun and can make the car quick for sure. I had one with every possible mod making some big power but after driving SR20DEN's car being that it was NA I just wasn't impressed with all the work MEVI, 3" Exhaust, SC etc etc I had to do with the 3.0 just to stay ahead slightly. Turbo cars are a totally different ballgame on the 3.0 though.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:56 AM
Blu
the tits

Originally Posted by TJ_Max
Well put IMO. I still want a safe 400whp Maxima though. SC to me was reliable boost compared to TC.
You will not make 400whp with the S-trim on boost alone on the 3.0, its just not going to happen. When you get nitrous involved with the SC then the whole realiability really falls out the window not to mention you will only be in the 360whp range without nitrous because you won't be spraying all the time. I believe 380whp is about the peak of the S-trim running high boost 14-15psi and all the other goodies such as 00 VI/MEVI, 3" exhaust, headers, blah blah blah.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:56 AM

but look at his dyno again, he is making about 260 whp at 4.5K...and it only goes up from there...shifting at the stock redline would put you there if not higher especially since he has the extended limit...it would put him even higher in his powerband after each shift...most vq35's on here are lucky to be making 260 whp...peak...what are they making at 4 or 4.5K after each shift at redline though? even at 4.5K he is making 220wtq...again...most modded up vq35's thus far are putting out similar #'s at 4.5K...rememer I am just comparing a run from the meaty part of the powerband and on like a highway race...4 or 4.5K and on...obviously anything bellow that is non-existant for any S/C'er setup...
Old 04-21-2006, 11:02 AM

SC was really the only way to go to get some decent power.
exactly when i got mine thre was no such thing as turbo for our cars, people looked at me like i was crazy when i thought about s/c it. now as the yrs past by turbo and na for the max is vas. but i'll tell you one thing im going down with a fight to the last propeller before i give up,lol. so 3.5 come on with it lol.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:05 AM
Blu
the tits

but look at his dyno again, he is making about 260 whp at 4.5K...and it only goes up from there...shifting at the stock redline would put you there if not higher especially since he has the extended limit...it would put him even higher in his powerband after each shift...most vq35's on here are lucky to be making 260 whp...peak...what are they making at 4 or 4.5K after each shift at redline though? even at 4.5K he is making 220wtq...again...most modded up vq35's thus far are putting out similar #'s at 4.5K...rememer I am just comparing a run from the meaty part of the powerband and on like a highway race...4 or 4.5K and on...obviously anything bellow that is non-existant for any S/C'er setup...
Well Stephen Max is also running 14psi, headers, exhaust, 00 VI etc etc so thats a little different that your average 7-10psi Maxima that this whole debate started about. The NA car that I have been discussing makes about 260whp at 4.5k and holds it all the way to 7200+ and the torque curve is also around 245wtq flat across the board.

When this debate started it was about a 300whp SC'ed car vs a 260whp NA 3.5. This matchup will be very close on the highway but at the track I would give the nod to the 3.5L. I've been there and done that, I myself know what the outcome would be.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:12 AM

Well Stephen Max is also running 14psi, headers, exhaust, 00 VI etc etc so thats a little different that your average 7-10psi Maxima that this whole debate started about. The NA car that I have been discussing makes about 260whp at 4.5k and holds it all the way to 7200+ and the torque curve is also around 245wtq flat across the board.

When this debate started it was about a 300whp SC'ed car vs a 260whp NA 3.5. This matchup will be very close on the highway but at the track I would give the nod to the 3.5L. I've been there and done that, I myself know what the outcome would be.

You just hurt someone's feelings with this post.....
Old 04-21-2006, 11:32 AM

wow. in order to get 260 whp u need cams on a 3.5 NA. 240 whp is what you get with a swap. so eventually a 3.5 swap might beat a sc 3.0 because it has better tq off the line. but up top the sc 3.0 has more power. hell it might be dead even when both shift but up top the sc max gets away.
why don't we put side by side dyno or make a graph with both 3.5 NA without cams and sc 3.0?
Old 04-21-2006, 11:36 AM

and in regards the comment saying a car having 260 whp at 4.5k and holding it to redline at 7200? PLAIN BULL****.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by virgilio7
wow. in order to get 260 whp u need cams on a 3.5 NA. 240 whp is what you get with a swap. so eventually a 3.5 swap might beat a sc 3.0 because it has better tq off the line. but up top the sc 3.0 has more power. hell it might be dead even when both shift but up top the sc max gets away.
why don't we put side by side dyno or make a graph with both 3.5 NA without cams and sc 3.0?
With the s/c max @ 7 psi.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:55 AM

so your vq35's dyno looks like this? lol I did this in a minute or so and I am not an artist so excuse the simplicity/inacurracies...

that's crazy...you peak at 4.5K in both torque and hp at the wheels and hold it there till 7K? c'mon now...you cited stephen max as an example...and at 4.5K, he is making more than most vq35de's ever hope to...so from a roll...I don't think it would be contest....but with a lesser s/c'ed 3.0...of course...I mean guys running 7 or 8 psi are putting out 270 peak or so and a lot less at 4.5K where the race would begin...but when we are talking a real s/c'ed car...putting out 260 at where you start the race and gaining linearly from there to 360...well you get the picture...
Old 04-21-2006, 12:02 PM
Paradox Systems Vendor

Originally Posted by SDot82
With the s/c max @ 7 psi.

S/C @ 7psi =
Old 04-21-2006, 12:03 PM

as a matter of fact the tq is close to what you draw but going down to 220 or so at 7200.
but the hp is nowhere close lol. peak is about 6200-6500 rpms and goes down after that

Quick Reply: FI vs. NA