Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Turbo Install In progress

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 09:15 PM

Turbo Install In progress

Hey all just started my turbo install about a week agao.. here are some pics.. all the pipes are custom.. I am going with Z32 maf, 370cc injectors and a JWT fly ecm.. I also have the MEVI, Lightnened Flywheel, Stage 3 clutch, and a Griffin Radiator and the list goes on should be done in 2 weeks or when ever jim wolf gets done with ECM!! well post and tell me what you think!! ohh yeah any one have any ideas of what boost level i can run safley on stock engine.. I got awaste gate actuator for 7psi.. it is a t3/t4

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1...9/100_1164.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1...9/100_1122.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1...9/100_1137.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1...9/100_1168.jpg
Old 04-24-2006, 09:27 PM

looks like a good start
Old 04-24-2006, 09:45 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Any more pics of the turbo mounting
Old 04-24-2006, 09:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Are you going to be usings some type of pump for the oil drain?
Old 04-24-2006, 11:20 PM
SLOW

Post some more pics of the mounting of the turbo and the piping, and take them from further back. We all know what a turbo looks like so we don't need to see them zoomed way in, I want to see what the overall piping and mounting scheme is. From what I can see up close the install looks very clean so far. I too am curious as to what you are going to do for oil drainage.

As far as suggestions go, forget the JWT ECU (too bad you already have it ordered) and the 370cc injectors. Go with EU and larger injectors per your other post in another thread about wanting 420whp. 370s won't support 420whp without turning up the fuel pressure, and adding an FMU is just one more complication in an already complicated undertaking. If you are going with larger injectors, it is my opinion to go with ones that will get the job done by themselves, rather than requiring an FPR to further supplement your fuel needs.

As far as what the engine can safely hold, PSI means nothing with regards to that. Power (or more accurately, torque) is what breaks motors not PSI, and you can make vastly different amounts of power and torque at any given boost pressure because of a million different things (tuning, piping setup, intake manifold, turbo size, etc). 7psi on any T3/T4 with a JWT ECU is not going to be in danger of blowing the motor... you'd probably be looking at only like 260-270whp out of that setup honestly.

What are the specs on that turbo, also what size piping are you using feed and downpipes, and IC piping?

Looks like you have a good start there.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:32 AM

well the pipe size is kinda small to clear every thing I know that the intercooler pipes are 2.5in and the main air intake pipes are 3in (waiting on them to show up).. I have thought about the oil return pump.. the oil return hose is level and should be ok I am also running water lines to help with oil coakin and i have a turbo timer alderdy installed... I am gonna check it when i get it together to see if it flows.. and as far as the 420 hp i got that num from jwt called them up and they said that with 370cc injectors , upgraded fuel pump and there program i would be able to push 350hp but if i go with the z32 maf then i would get 420.. so it is all good.. I was thinking that the guys with sr20det's cant get that horese power out of the same injectors why can I and then i though cause i have 2 more than they do!! if you do the math having 6 370 in a maxima is like having 4 555 in a sr20deT!! I got tons of pics.. let me see if i can post some more.. I should have some more pics soon!! ohh yeah any know what i should set my mevi switch at after all this.. I have it set at 5400 right now.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1...9/100_1159.jpg
that is the pic of the BOV installed.. kinda hard to see.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1...9/100_1146.jpg
Injectors installed

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1...9/100_1165.jpg
Oil return hose fitting in the oil pan

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1...9/100_1155.jpg
some more piping you all wanted.. there is one pipe that i have yet to install.the one that goes out the tail pipe
Old 04-25-2006, 05:27 AM

dam nice work so far man
Old 04-25-2006, 10:10 AM
Sports Button FTW

lol if someone pops open your hood they'll think u have a CAI. Thats hot, good custom work.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:38 PM

Yeah that is my general goal to make it the most stelth as possable.. I even painted the front of my intercooler baclk with hi-temp paint.. and i put my boost gauage in the pocket below the radio.. so you can cloase the door and wont see anything.. expect the turbo timer whitch is a apexi pen type it is just below the radio.. my goal is to get all this working have some fun.. and when not if but when i blow my 3.0l up then i am gonna goto a 3.5 swap.. haha whith a bulit engine!! right now as it sits.. I have to run the oil return line, the water lines and the fresh air in pipes.. whitch i will do thoes tommrow.. when they come in.. the griffin rad fit nicly only had to modfy it a little bit haha well thanks for all the support.. more pics and final pics comin soon!!!
Old 04-25-2006, 07:39 PM
SLOW

Originally Posted by SouthFlMaxTech
and as far as the 420 hp i got that num from jwt called them up and they said that with 370cc injectors , upgraded fuel pump and there program i would be able to push 350hp but if i go with the z32 maf then i would get 420
You aren't going to see 420whp with 370s unless you run higher than normal fuel pressure, maybe that's what they are talking about? Or perhaps they mean 420 crank horsepower (even that would be pushing it)? If you do the math to calculate fuel consumption you'll see what I'm talking about.

I wouldn't trust much of what JWT says these days especially with regards to maximas, they are wrong more often than not.

What are the specs on your turbo?

Also are you doing all the work yourself? Should be a pretty stealth setup when you have it all done.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:59 PM

Yes it was 420 to the crank.. so it is all good.. and yes i am doing everything my self.. I had had the car for 4yrs now and well now i am getting tireed of the stock hp so i started to do stuff to it.. I know you see the mevi.. yeah i am all about the stelthness of it when i do my 1/4 mile run.. I am gonna keep the hood closed until i do my run.. lol and then see if people are suprised.. haha but yeah i also auto X with the car.. and the reacent supssion improvments I did, really make the car handle good! well i was gonna work on the car some more tonight but i am waiting on parts.. i should work more on it tommrow night whitch means more pics..!!! thanks for everyones support!
Old 04-25-2006, 09:04 PM

SouthFlMaxTech

What are the full specs of the turbo you are using (compressor and turbine)?

Also, what are the dimensions of your IC (core and total)? Where did you purchase it and how much if you don't mind my asking?

Your project is looking good.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:11 PM

yea i wouldnt use the JWT ecu.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:55 PM

Well I did have the specs for the turbo.. but dont any more.. I am not really knowlodge about them anyways.. so I am not sure.. and my IC pipes are 2.5 my turbo out let is 2.0 and the intercooler is small..I went with that beacuase I did not want to cut my impact bar up.. in the futute if i do run crazy boost then i will have to re evulate the sizing. of it.. so far total project has cost me a ton.. but should be good when all is done!!!
Old 04-25-2006, 10:56 PM

Ohh yeah and i went with the JWT Ecu because i read the thread about the greddy e-manage for our cars not working right and i dont have the paitents or the time to figure that out..
Old 04-26-2006, 02:35 AM

Yes it was 420 to the crank.. so it is all good.. and yes i am doing everything my self.. I had had the car for 4yrs now and well now i am getting tireed of the stock hp so i started to do stuff to it.. I know you see the mevi.. yeah i am all about the stelthness of it when i do my 1/4 mile run.. I am gonna keep the hood closed until i do my run.. lol and then see if people are suprised.. haha but yeah i also auto X with the car.. and the reacent supssion improvments I did, really make the car handle good! well i was gonna work on the car some more tonight but i am waiting on parts.. i should work more on it tommrow night whitch means more pics..!!! thanks for everyones support!
No, it's not all good. You won't be able to reach those types of HP numbers on 370's. Even though Nissan OEM 370cc injectors actually flow 410cc, your not gonna be able to see 420 crank hp unless you start playing with fuel pressure, and playing with it alot. Especially with a JWT ECU, since you won't get every HP per lbs of boost you could with a stock ECU.

Check this link and do the calculation for yourself

http://www.rceng.com/technical.htm

-Mike
Old 04-26-2006, 05:24 AM

Well I did have the specs for the turbo.. but dont any more.. I am not really knowlodge about them anyways.. so I am not sure.. and my IC pipes are 2.5 my turbo out let is 2.0 and the intercooler is small..I went with that beacuase I did not want to cut my impact bar up.. in the futute if i do run crazy boost then i will have to re evulate the sizing. of it.. so far total project has cost me a ton.. but should be good when all is done!!!

You really need to know more about your turbo (IMHO). It could be a very poor fit for your combo. You could check with the person/company you purchased it from and cross check against the people's knowledge here about how well suited it is for your combo.

Also, can you measure the dimensions of your IC? Actual measurements tell the story. Just saying "small" doesn't really help increase the quality of the information provided in this thread.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:59 AM
KH3 by popular demand

I will be posting pics soon of my setup in progress btw, knowing turbo specs is key to whether it will blow up or choke, can't put the horse before the cart. Props on you doing your own work. I know you have hi hp goals but I think 350 to the crank would be a decent start then go up from there, not telling you what to do but n/a driving and boost driving are 2 different animals. Got to ride in a s/c max for the first time the other day, regular size pulley I assume, untuned, it had all the go I needed, I would say it was around 280-300whp...Nice.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:10 AM
Proud of his GroceryGetter!!!!

Is your bov located after the maf? I did this on my install and it was wrong from what people told me, you dont want metered air to leak out by any means. Someone correct me if im wrong.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:21 AM
SomePsychoGuy

Some people have to learn the hard way.

Come back when the oil in your return line isn't going anywhere and you aren't making nearly the amount of power you should. JWT takes forever with their ECUs and you lose power with them when turbo or SC. 370s are too small injectors for any decent amount of power while staying in stock FP.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:10 AM

Looking good Kenny
Old 04-26-2006, 11:06 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

I like how the turbine feed is ran. I would have probably duct the compressor discharge under the rad support instead of using that blue pipe.

Definitely going to need a scavenge pump for the oil return. Check out SSRs kits for ideas.

Looks like an internal wastegate turbo?
Old 04-26-2006, 04:37 PM

ok I got the specs.. but i am not sure what they mean.. I what i ment before is that they say my system is good to that HP but i am not going to be pushing it.. I exepct to get around 260 to the wheels or about 300 to the crank.. here are the specs.. they person i got it from said it was bulit for running high boost levels so I assume that it will not be optimal for my setup but.. here it is.. The compressor side is a T4 504E trim .60 A/R. The exhaust side is a T3 stage III .63 A/R. The bearing is floating oil, and thus requires an oil and return drain line. It also has a water cooling passage and hookup is optional. The turbo has an internal wastegate and control cylinder with adjustable boost limit. Compressor maps are available on the web at http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/turbo/TurboMaps/t04e-50.gif and http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/turbotech.html.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1...9/100_1175.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1...9/100_1172.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1...9/100_1170.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1...9/100_1169.jpg
Old 04-26-2006, 05:17 PM

Now we are getting somewhere.

Your compressor is a little on the small side; however, it will be ok (not optimal, but certainly not bad). Your turbine is actually the same that I am planning to use.

That combo should allow full boost in the neighborhood of 3500 RPMs +/- a few hundred RPMs.

Now what about those IC dimensions?
Old 04-26-2006, 05:35 PM

I will have to measure it for you.. let me see if i can find it from when i ordered it.. ok here it is..

27" X 6.5" X 2.5" did you check out the pics from the intake i did tonight what do you think?
Old 04-26-2006, 05:37 PM

yeah it is a internal.. Did not want to go external would not stay true to the stelthness... I have a 7psi wastegate actuator I am just gonna run that.. I think 7psi should be good on a stock engine!!
Old 04-26-2006, 07:32 PM
MaximaDriver

whats a total cost??
are you going to use IC
Old 04-26-2006, 08:07 PM
SLOW

Originally Posted by WielkiWaac
are you going to use IC

He already said he is...
Old 04-27-2006, 08:04 AM

I will have to measure it for you.. let me see if i can find it from when i ordered it.. ok here it is..

27" X 6.5" X 2.5" did you check out the pics from the intake i did tonight what do you think?

The intake looks fine to me. One thing to consider. Since you have the BOV after the MAF (or at least I am guessing you do), you will have to tune around going way rich when the BOV opens.

This is b/c the MAF will have metered the air being purged and tell the ECM to inject enough fuel as though it was going into the engine = way rich and engine stuttering.

Just a heads up if you didn't know this.

Also, if your oil return line isn't close to vertical, then you are in deep ****. If it is level then your turbo's bearings will have a very, very short life. You will absolutely require a pump and likely a small sump to go with it. You need to know that the "oil" coming out of the turbo drain is really a frothy mostly air foam, which will not move with out a very much downhill shot or a pump (think of it as very light due to being mostly air and not being much acted upon due to gravity).

Keep up the good work. From what I have seen on this site, 7 PSI should be good for ~280-300 whp.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:30 AM

Depends on setup on 7.2 psi i made 355whp, yeah be careful about your oil return line.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by MaxInProgress
Depends on setup on 7.2 psi i made 355whp, yeah be careful about your oil return line.

Can you elaborate on your setup? I have seen people make 250-260 @5 PSI, some 300-320 at 10 PSI, and some others make 380 at 9 PSI (I30tMikeD). All on 3.0L VQ.

I still haven't fully distilled the differences in the combos to understand why the whp differences are so pronounced...
Old 04-27-2006, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by cld12pk2go
Can you elaborate on your setup? I have seen people make 250-260 @5 PSI, some 300-320 at 10 PSI, and some others make 380 at 9 PSI (I30tMikeD). All on 3.0L VQ.

I still haven't fully distilled the differences in the combos to understand why the whp differences are so pronounced...
The main reason I got such good numbers due mainly to the 3" cut, stock timing, and MEVI. Pulling too much timing just kills the VQ. Without an MEVI I would have peaked around 350ish.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:05 PM

yeah stock timing, 3" turbo back, bigger turbo, mevi, is what put me in those numbers
Old 04-27-2006, 03:05 PM
SLOW

Like they said, timing is what does it for the most part. The program JWT uses for Z32maf and 550cc injectors is set at a completely asinine 10 degrees of advance. They are pulling up to 14 degrees of timing... that's ridiculous. Stock timing can be up to 24 degrees of advance at WOT per what folks have datalogged. I30tMikeD lost 75whp at the same boost level when he did back to back to back dyno runs of stock timing (stock ECU) vs JWT ECU (10 degrees of advance).

I don't know if JWT's 370cc program uses this timing map or not. There are people out there, supercharged guys, who are putting out very good numbers on JWT ECUs, but they are using 370cc programs, so maybe that is where the difference comes into play. Perhaps JWT's 550cc program just sucks, but their 370cc program is OK. None of those guys with the 370cc program have datalogged timing to my knowledge, so we don't know for sure at this point.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
The main reason I got such good numbers due mainly to the 3" cut, stock timing, and MEVI. Pulling too much timing just kills the VQ. Without an MEVI I would have peaked around 350ish.
Do you mean that you had a 3'' cut out for that dyno? Or just a 3'' cat-back?

Just to clarify.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:29 PM

well we will see when i get it all together.. I will have to look into that.. and i do have mevi and the lightened pulley.. what rpm should i set my mevi switch anyone have any idea? and also.. anyone know where i can get that oil return pump I have been thinking about it.. even before eveone told me so.. so i guess i will get it just dont know whitch one and where to get it from.. at this point it just has to be done right!! well thanks for the input guys.. more pics to come soon.. I got the front mount weleded up tonight had to reinforce it so when i get that bolted up i will get some pics.. thanks again!!
Old 04-27-2006, 05:17 PM
SLOW

Originally Posted by cld12pk2go

Do you mean that you had a 3'' cut out for that dyno? Or just a 3'' cat-back?

Just to clarify.

He meant 3" cutout. He only has a 2.5" catback. 3" downpipe to the cutout and back to the catback, then it's down to 2.5".
Old 04-27-2006, 05:19 PM
SLOW

well we will see when i get it all together.. I will have to look into that.. and i do have mevi and the lightened pulley.. what rpm should i set my mevi switch anyone have any idea? and also.. anyone know where i can get that oil return pump I have been thinking about it.. even before eveone told me so.. so i guess i will get it just dont know whitch one and where to get it from.. at this point it just has to be done right!! well thanks for the input guys.. more pics to come soon.. I got the front mount weleded up tonight had to reinforce it so when i get that bolted up i will get some pics.. thanks again!!
Usually the MEVI is best opened at 5200-5400rpm. Get it on a dyno and you can immediately tell whether or not you are opening it at the right RPM and adjust it accordingly.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by MaxInProgress
Is your bov located after the maf? I did this on my install and it was wrong from what people told me, you dont want metered air to leak out by any means. Someone correct me if im wrong.
I caught this also. If you are drawing through your MAF, you will need to run a bypass valve. No big deal, just vent back into the intake before the compressor, but after the MAF.

After looking at that map, that turbo should be an ok fit.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:12 PM

Hey all just wanted to let you know I found and ordered a oil pump for the return line today!! cost me a little bit but it is what it is! gotta do it right more pics to come!

Quick Reply: Turbo Install In progress