Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Interested in Boosting help a fellow out!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 08:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Interested in Boosting help a fellow out!

How are you guys?

Soon maybe 6 months or so from now I will be boosting. I hope.

Here's my setup now

97 AUTO Max.
3.5 Swap
ONLY Tuned with SAFC II
Walbro Fuel Pump
Built Auto
Higher Stall TC
Upgraded VB
'00 VI
Pathfinder TB
'00 VI fuel rail and injectors
RPM Switch for VIAS activates at 4200 RPMs.

I'm interested in going either S/C or T/C whichever is more reliable and more maintanence free. My questions are which setup should I choose, what will I need to change, how much am I looking, what increases in performance am I looking at? Am I looking at any reliability issues, starting issues, hot weather, cold weather stuff?

If this doesn't work out I'm saying FUG IT and getting a Bike! hahaha
Old 07-13-2006, 08:19 AM

Well as they would say... read the stickies. I know nothing about boosting a car but within 3 days of reading stickies and searching I have already planned out what turbo I would like, piping route I will do, and the exact fuel/tuning setup I would like to run, if I ever go boost. From what I read, the supercharger is less maintnence but the turbo will give you more power. But this really is based on the person supercharging or turbocharging and how well there setup is. From a 3.5 standpoint and based on what I have read here and on the 350z forums, people feel that the VQ35 isn't as strong as a VQ30 for boosting as many 35oz guys blow their motors. I think the reason is not because the VQ35 isn't as strong as the VQ30 but the guys blowing their motors were not retarding timing up top (ie... in boost) to prevent this from happening.

For the boost gurus, please correct me with any incorrect statements I have made in this post.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:01 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

From what I've seen so far, S/C'ing is a much more tried-and-true route than turboing. Alot of information has been noted here over the years on S/C'ing and you'll get a pretty stable, reliable ride. For turboing IMO it is still in the pioneering stages. Lots of tinkering required.

It all boils down to how much do you want out of your Max?

Either way, as the owner, you'd better be good with your hands when you take the plunge!
Old 07-13-2006, 09:11 AM

I would say go with a Supercharger, but I love Superchargers. You can build a kit exactly how you like, 3" Charge pipe, fuel pressure regulator, FMU, and you're in jersey, so if you ever need help im pretty close.

Read my Thread below.

-matt
Old 07-13-2006, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by BlackCat
From what I've seen so far, S/C'ing is a much more tried-and-true route than turboing. Alot of information has been noted here over the years on S/C'ing and you'll get a pretty stable, reliable ride. For turboing IMO it is still in the pioneering stages. Lots of tinkering required.

It all boils down to how much do you want out of your Max?

Either way, as the owner, you'd better be good with your hands when you take the plunge!
I agree with this entirely. Can anyone tell me whether you will need more boost from a SC to make the same amount of power as a TC max. I have an assumption but I want to know what has to be said about this. I think this is the main reason people are going towards the turbo route.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:45 AM
Boosted like Snipes tax refund

My understanding is that turbos are a lot more tuning-intensive, complex (and inherently less reliable) than superchargers. I have also been given to believe that with the proper amount and type of tuning, the amount of "lag" associated with spooling a turbocharger (part of what makes the power gain less instantaneous than that with a supercharger) is diminished somewhat, though it is always there. I also have learned that a turbo is much more efficient because of its source of power (the exhaust system) vs the supercharger. I am told the turbo is more for top-end power (at the higher rpms) and guys who are more interested in the overall amount of power the car creates at the crank. The supercharger develops power more evenly and more quickly, but creates a parasitic drain on the engine while it boosts airflow. I am preparing to s/c my car. If I am wrong on any of this, please let me know...
Old 07-13-2006, 11:36 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Originally Posted by RichMax
... The supercharger develops power more evenly and more quickly, but creates a parasitic drain on the engine while it boosts airflow. I am preparing to s/c my car. If I am wrong on any of this, please let me know...
Actually on our cars SC power isn't linear at all. Boost kicks in at around 3000rpm.

As mentioned in another thread I installed the SC back on Oct.2000 and I figure I had at least 5 belt shreds with the V2 plate. After 5 yrs of boosting the auto tranny had to be rebuilt last summer, despite having a B&M transmission cooler.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by BlackCat
Actually on our cars SC power isn't linear at all. Boost kicks in at around 3000rpm.

As mentioned in another thread I installed the SC back on Oct.2000 and I figure I had at least 5 belt shreds with the V2 plate. After 5 yrs of boosting the auto tranny had to be rebuilt last summer, despite having a B&M transmission cooler.
As for the V2 shreading issue, that can be fixed with Mattys S/C plates. And 5 years for a boosted tranny sounds pretty good to me ??
Old 07-14-2006, 02:41 PM
SLOW

dude you've been here PLENTY long enough to know how to search and answer 99% of the questions you just asked for yourself... come on now. if you can't do that then you have no business even thinking of going FI, but based on the fact that you put a 3.5 in your car I know you've got what it takes.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:45 PM
SLOW

Originally Posted by RichMax
My understanding is that turbos are a lot more tuning-intensive, complex (and inherently less reliable) than superchargers. I have also been given to believe that with the proper amount and type of tuning, the amount of "lag" associated with spooling a turbocharger (part of what makes the power gain less instantaneous than that with a supercharger) is diminished somewhat, though it is always there. I also have learned that a turbo is much more efficient because of its source of power (the exhaust system) vs the supercharger. I am told the turbo is more for top-end power (at the higher rpms) and guys who are more interested in the overall amount of power the car creates at the crank. The supercharger develops power more evenly and more quickly, but creates a parasitic drain on the engine while it boosts airflow. I am preparing to s/c my car. If I am wrong on any of this, please let me know...

Not the case at all with a centrifugal supercharger setup like the maxima kits use. When comparing a supra to an 03 cobra, yes, when comparing a turbo maxima to an SC maxima, no. the turbo car is going to have much more midrange than a centrifugal sc is going to have. lag is based on how you size your turbo and how good your plumbing is, whereas with a centrifugal SC, RPM is the only thing that determines how much boost you are making. lower RPM = less boost with a centrifugal SC.