Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

For those with Garrett turbos..?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 10:52 AM
2060lbs and falling...

For those with Garrett turbos..?

Where do you guys get your water source?

My understanding is that all the Garrett BB units need both oil and water going into the center section. Is this correct? If so where do you guys get your water source? I would imagine that it needs to come from a place with consitant pressure and flow. But I can't figure where that would be. Is it somewhere off the coolant log? One of the rad lines? Just wondering.

Also, I've been trying to figure out which brand of turbo I want to get. I really like the Garretts because I know they are very well built as they are used in basically every application from street to race to industrial. I imagine much of their reliability is due to using both oil and water. But really I'd like to alleviate as much clutter from the engine bay as possible and thus run no water lines. I know Turbonetics makes BB units that do not require water. But since they don't have the water can they hold up? I'm not talking a million miles; I drive this car in terms of hours and not a lot of them. I just want to never have to buy a turbo again unless I go bigger.

Thanks for any input.

Broaner.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:58 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Yes, Garrett GT turbos require water, since they use oil only for lubrication instead of cooling like others. Turbonetics and others can use just oil because they use larger passages/volumes to cool the center section, but that adds drag.

Anyways, I think some here bypass the coolant to the throttle-body for the turbo.
Old 07-15-2006, 12:13 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Thanks for the response man. Interesting point you bring up. I hadn't thought of that. Does the added drag measurably increase spool time?

I figured it was going to be off the coolant log. I welded all the fittings on mine shut as I no longer run EGR, Cold start idle adjust, or Heater core. I don't really feel like coming off the log again with new fittings or coming out after the hardlines. I'll probably run a Turbonetics then. Seem to be very reputable. They don't have the industrial rep that Garrett does but still...

Do you think the Turbonetics are good Icey?
Old 07-15-2006, 12:21 PM

No...but they are cheap/effective.

They use an inferior single side ball-bearing vs. the dual and maybe even tripple BB of Garrett or others.

As for the lag, it will be more for the Turbonetics, however I doubt you'll notice. Their single side solution did help spoolup greatly over the journal bearings, so I think the reliability of the DBB Garretts is the biggest advantage.

Also, something to consider is that the GT-series use far more efficient wheels then the older T-series. I'm not sure which Turbonetics uses. This is really a concern at high boost levels, something most here never see.
Old 07-15-2006, 12:22 PM

turbonetics turbos are just garret turbos built to turbonetics specs.
Old 07-15-2006, 02:27 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Umm... Not quite sure I believe that one. Please post some info proving this. We just established that all BB Garrett turbos have both water and oil passages in the head units. Turbonetics does not; disproving your statement. And Garrett does not have the claimed Cermic BB head units that Turbonetics does.
Old 07-15-2006, 03:38 PM

Wrong....many other companies like Innovative, HKS, etc. use Garrett turbos some even with mods we can't get.

Turbonetics even advertises how their one sided ballbearing solution is almost as good as a Garrett DBB.

Originally Posted by maxmaxima91
turbonetics turbos are just garret turbos built to turbonetics specs.
Old 07-15-2006, 03:43 PM

http://www.turboneticsinc.com/turbo_ceramicbb.htm

Q: What is on the turbine side of the turbocharger in the ceramic ball-bearing turbochargers?

A: The turbine side of the ceramic ball-bearing turbo uses a floating bearing to dampen the harmonics and vibrations that are transmitted through the turbocharger. This allows Turbonetics to balance the turbo to the most demanding tolerances.

Q: Do the ceramic ball-bearing turbos "spool up" faster than a normal turbo?

A: YES! The ceramic ball-bearing design reduces the frictional loss that occurs with a conventional floating bearing-and-thrust system turbo. The ceramic ball-bearing design allows the turbo to accelerate much quicker, thus decreasing spool-up time. In most cases we have found our ceramic ball-bearing designs require 50 percent less energy to drive the turbo.
Old 07-15-2006, 03:45 PM

So, they still use the old "floating type" thrust bearing in the turbine, which has more drag, yet they use a ceramic ball-bearing on the compressor to aide spoolup. Yet, both wheels are tied together by a common shaft, ie still have 50% of the center section slowing it down.

Again, not knocking their turbos, just saying they aren't the better technology and their prices are cheaper because of that. Not a bad deal for most user IMO.