Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

looking to put together an intercooler kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 06:11 PM
absoundlab

looking to put together an intercooler kit

hello everyone I have a 2000 nissan maxima 3.0L 5sp.

Im looking to buying a kit from matty and getting a v2 and putting the kit together myself. I'm working about the intercooler. I want to run 3 inch piping to a front mount intercooler. If I use an intercooler thats say 29x9x3 would I have to leave the front bumper reinforcement out? Instead of buying all the bents seperate could I buy one of these kit? I know non of these kits on ebay are make to be a direct bolt on to the maxima. But im thinkin I could buy one of these kits and just the piping from it and cut it to fit. Would this be a good idea?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-Int...spagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Altim...spagenameZWDVW

also whats a good intercooler that I can buy on ebay?

mods I know I posted this in the wrong place can you move it for me thank you.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:36 PM
Administrator

Selecting the right size intercooler is not as easy as it seems. Just because it fits, doesn't mean your research is over. There are so many factors when choosing an intercooler, and knowing your current power level and power goals play a role too. Are you basing you decision on what fits? Or on all the many variables? IMO, there are too many unknowns at this point.

Also, why do even want an intercooler? Just for looks? You do realize that when adding an intercooler, your intake temperature drops (good), but at the expense of lost boost (bad). Stephen Max, one of the godfathers here, put on an intercooler and netted no hp gain, proven by a dyno. He pretty much broke even. However, his intake temp is lower which is a good thing I guess. Put on the wrong size intercooler and you could actually lose HP. See where I'm going here?

BTW, the "complete" kit on ebay has $hitty couplers and cheesy worm clamps that won't hold the test of time. Besides, do you have the routing of the piping figured out? Are you using mandrel bent pipes at the various bends, or silicone couplers? IMO, I'd come up with a plan of attack and order exactly what you need from intakehoses.com.

First things first, get Matty's kit and piece the rest together. Install everything and make sure all is running good. Then come back and we'll talk intercoolers.

I apologize in advance if I come across as a jerk, that is not my intent. I'm just trying to steer you in the right direction.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:54 AM
absoundlab

wizard you didnt come across as a jerk, not at all. thank you for the info. my goal is to use mattys kit with a v2 and im sparying zex wet 75.

I want to intercool the v2 one for the look and two for the lower intake temps. because down south over here it gets hot outside most of the year.

also im thinking about buying this piping kit on ebay because they have most of the pipes that I need all in one package. (I know its not a direct bolt on or anything like that for the app that im using.) And I do plan on changing the couplers and clamps.

Old 01-30-2007, 08:34 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by absoundlab
wizard you didnt come across as a jerk, not at all. thank you for the info. my goal is to use mattys kit with a v2 and im sparying zex wet 75.

I want to intercool the v2 one for the look and two for the lower intake temps. because down south over here it gets hot outside most of the year.

also im thinking about buying this piping kit on ebay because they have most of the pipes that I need all in one package. (I know its not a direct bolt on or anything like that for the app that im using.) And I do plan on changing the couplers and clamps.
Ok. You may want to consider dropping pulley sizes to make up for the lost boost.

Also, I purchased this book per the recommendation of others... It's great so far, I'm only half way through (even though I bought it 6 months ago) Lots of good info about how to properly size the right intercooler for any application.

http://www.amazon.com/Supercharged-T...e=UTF8&s=books
Old 01-30-2007, 08:37 AM
Administrator

Oh, and this one too! Only $7.49 used!

http://www.amazon.com/Street-Turboch...399795-7198263

New release for 2006.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:27 AM
absoundlab

alright cool I'm going to buy both of them.

what I had in mind was matty's plate

v2
vortech fmu
walbro 255 hp
300zx maf
300zx injectors
3 inch exhaust
electronic cutout
blow off value
tranny cooler
oil cooler
boost gauge egt gauge
3 inch intercooler piping
front mount intercooler
hump silicone clamps
aquamist water injection

all of that along with the zex wet 75 shot that I have right now with
msd window switch 3000 and 6500 pills
fuel pressure safty switch
msd sport compact sci digital
tank gauge
bottle heater
purge kit
apexi vafc-II

berk intake
headers and y pipe
no cat and no resonator
short shifter

Old 01-30-2007, 05:42 PM
Administrator

Damn, that's a tall order. I hope you're planning to do that in stages. Doing it all at once will be a troubleshooting nightmare.......
Old 01-30-2007, 06:12 PM
absoundlab

I have all the n20 stuff and nothing for the s/c yet

Old 01-31-2007, 12:14 AM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Damn, that's a tall order. I hope you're planning to do that in stages. Doing it all at once will be a troubleshooting nightmare.......
James, what are you doing giving advice like that? Just kidding man. Adsoundlab, I was wondering if you had an idea of what you wanted to do.

www.intakehoses.com is definitely the way to go.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:29 AM
absoundlab

Originally Posted by slimer
James, what are you doing giving advice like that? Just kidding man. Adsoundlab, I was wondering if you had an idea of what you wanted to do.

www.intakehoses.com is definitely the way to go.
what do you mean if I have an idea of what I want to do? like with the s/c?

Old 01-31-2007, 08:55 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by The Wizard

No crap.
Best bet would be to get the SC on and running with a good tune. Then slowly bring on the other goodies.
I hope your planning on some down time, could take some to get everything dialed in with the water injection and the NOS. Piecing together the intercooler could also result in some downtime, I know it did for me and as The Wizard stated, the end result was bad, I lost major boost by going with an intercooler that was too small for my setup. I have since removed the intercooler and just ran a straight pipe in its place, like Stephen Max's old setup.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:20 AM
Armed and Dangerous

I would definately tackle that list in stages.

Get the ebay kit you listed for the piping as it has all the bends you need. Like Wizard said, you might want to get different couplings and clamps though...

Good luck.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:16 PM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

Originally Posted by i30ds
I would definately tackle that list in stages.

Get the ebay kit you listed for the piping as it has all the bends you need. Like Wizard said, you might want to get different couplings and clamps though...

Good luck.
Thats what I'm talkin bout.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:49 PM
Armed and Dangerous

http://www.amazon.com/Street-Turboch...399795-7198263

http://www.amazon.com/Supercharged-T...e=UTF8&s=books

I have both these books and I highly recommend them as well. Knowledge is food for the brain, and boost is ***** for a car... combine both to create knowledge of boost, and you'll be unstoppable.