Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Turbo Specialties VQ30 turbo kit review

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 09:32 PM
BOOST 4 LIFE!

About the acutuator, why not just weld the flapper shut and run a external somewhere??? I much better idea and also better suited for the bigger turbo. And I would have just went with at least a gt3076r or even better a t3 g35r and been done with it. Why mess with a gt3071r? A gt3071r is a decent size turbo for a 4 cylinder not a v6........
Old 08-28-2009, 05:23 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
So basically the kit has to have a ton of changes made to make it even work...

Glad you had someone like KRRZ to make the changes necessary. Sorry you had to go through a bunch of crap though, that sucks.
Yes, without the changes I made there is no way the kit would be worth it. I knew that going into it as you can see by my earlier posts, mainly the issue with the downpipe.

I know Kevin posted earlier about the issues he had with fitment on the install. Turbo Specialties attributed these to the fact that I went with a bigger turbo, as the kit is designed to run a GT28R.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by babymac
About the acutuator, why not just weld the flapper shut and run a external somewhere??? I much better idea and also better suited for the bigger turbo. And I would have just went with at least a gt3076r or even better a t3 g35r and been done with it. Why mess with a gt3071r? A gt3071r is a decent size turbo for a 4 cylinder not a v6........
Well, I could not have put an external on the manifold as it is cast iron. There were enough install and fabrication problems so that was not really something on my mind. Up until yesterday I have not driven my car in over a month. As far as the bigger turbo, I tried to get them to send me a GT3076R, but they said it was a T3 turbo and the manifold flange is for a T2 turbo. I know ATP sells GT3076R's with T25 turbine housing's, but I got the biggest turbo they would sell. Also, the GT35R would not have worked because of the manifold. And no, an adapter flange would not have worked.
I bought this kit quite some time ago and had given up using it, but when I bought another kit on here and the install went to hell I decided to throw it on and see what it could do with the changes made to it.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:54 AM
BOOST 4 LIFE!

Originally Posted by nismomaxct
Well, I could not have put an external on the manifold as it is cast iron. There were enough install and fabrication problems so that was not really something on my mind. Up until yesterday I have not driven my car in over a month. As far as the bigger turbo, I tried to get them to send me a GT3076R, but they said it was a T3 turbo and the manifold flange is for a T2 turbo. I know ATP sells GT3076R's with T25 turbine housing's, but I got the biggest turbo they would sell. Also, the GT35R would not have worked because of the manifold. And no, an adapter flange would not have worked.
I bought this kit quite some time ago and had given up using it, but when I bought another kit on here and the install went to hell I decided to throw it on and see what it could do with the changes made to it.

You can re weld cast iron??? Sentra guys do it all the time, by putting external gates on there stock bluebird, avenir, and gti-r mainfolds.

And as for the turbo a gt3071r in a 86 a/r should be "OK"

Anyway good luck!
Old 08-28-2009, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by babymac
You can re weld cast iron??? Sentra guys do it all the time, by putting external gates on there stock bluebird, avenir, and gti-r mainfolds.

And as for the turbo a gt3071r in a 86 a/r should be "OK"

Anyway good luck!
Yea I realized that after I posted. lol. The turbo does have a .86 a/r and the TO4S cover so it is slightly bigger than the regular 3071R. I have contacted the company to see if there is anyway they could make a manifold with a T3 flange.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:28 AM
BOOST 4 LIFE!

Yea I realized that after I posted. lol. The turbo does have a .86 a/r and the TO4S cover so it is slightly bigger than the regular 3071R. I have contacted the company to see if there is anyway they could make a manifold with a T3 flange.
Goodluck and if you can get the t3 flange then go with the gt30 instead of the 71r. WAY more power....
Old 08-28-2009, 09:39 AM

looks great Chris!! Cant wait to see in person!
Old 08-30-2009, 05:55 AM

I definately feel that it is making way more power than what Doc dynoed when he installed the kit.

If it's making anything less than 270tq I will have to visit the proctocologist to have a recalibration done on my butt dyno. Did you drive it enough to master rolling into it from a stop just enough so that it will start blowing the tires off at the top of first but then letting off quick enough that it will shift normally to 2nd?

Just some install videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6kx3...e=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd2Yl...e=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnFyv...e=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EBkR...e=channel_page
Old 08-30-2009, 06:42 AM

^ lmfao!! damnn kev, good work sticking with that! I didnt truely understand the magnitude of difficulties chris told me u encountered installing this until these vids. lol I still cant get over the flex pipe and the amount of air letting through in the last vid lolz
Old 08-30-2009, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
If it's making anything less than 270tq I will have to visit the proctocologist to have a recalibration done on my butt dyno. Did you drive it enough to master rolling into it from a stop just enough so that it will start blowing the tires off at the top of first but then letting off quick enough that it will shift normally to 2nd?

Just some install videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6kx3...e=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd2Yl...e=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnFyv...e=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EBkR...e=channel_page
With all the rain and the open downpipe I did not get to drive it a ton. I drove it a lot on the highway the day I picked up and drove it the day after. My brother and I actually passed a cop on 44 less than two minutes from leaving your house and figured we were going to get pulled over for sure, but didn't happen. When I drove it the other day it was starting rain and I took 3 people for a ride. All it did was spin when it got into boost. I love driving the car though. Its a blast.
I have talked to Turbo Specialties it looks like they might be interested in making a manifold with a T3 flange and make changes to the motor mount. No 3" downpipe from them, but I have a possible plan for that.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:54 AM
KH3 by popular demand

All I can say is wow dude. They need to pay you for R & D since you had to do that AFTER the kit was made. And that last clip was ridiculous.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:53 PM
Turbo 3.5

With all the rain and the open downpipe I did not get to drive it a ton. I drove it a lot on the highway the day I picked up and drove it the day after. My brother and I actually passed a cop on 44 less than two minutes from leaving your house and figured we were going to get pulled over for sure, but didn't happen. When I drove it the other day it was starting rain and I took 3 people for a ride. All it did was spin when it got into boost. I love driving the car though. Its a blast.
I have talked to Turbo Specialties it looks like they might be interested in making a manifold with a T3 flange and make changes to the motor mount. No 3" downpipe from them, but I have a possible plan for that.
**** if they make a manifold with a t3 flange and show me pic's of the turbo installed I'll buy it
Old 08-31-2009, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by t6378tp
**** if they make a manifold with a t3 flange and show me pic's of the turbo installed I'll buy it
That is what I am trying to convince them of. lol. A GT35 will fit there. I actaually would love to get my hands on a GT35R with the more compact GT3076R housing because you get the anti surge without a big increase in size, but still the horsepower of the GT35. I have to get everything dynoed, but hopefully we can get them working on the T3 manifold.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:25 PM

Just wanted to clarify something though, the last vid of the messed up flex section was more than likely my own fault, that connector pipe didn't line up so great after it was re-angled, and the flex didn't allow for any horizontal movement of the flanges (If that makes sense to anyone but me), when I was tightening it down I heard something snap.... so yeah. The solution was to cut the flex out and tack weld a new one in place while everything was bolted up, probably what I should have done in the first place (duh!) so I ate an hour or two and a flex section for that one.

Chris I'll give you a call tommorrow, don't know what your plans are for Thursday but if I can end a game of phone tag with someone I will probably be dyno'ing a sc'd 5th gen on Thursday...... hummmm.........
Old 09-02-2009, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
Just wanted to clarify something though, the last vid of the messed up flex section was more than likely my own fault, that connector pipe didn't line up so great after it was re-angled, and the flex didn't allow for any horizontal movement of the flanges (If that makes sense to anyone but me), when I was tightening it down I heard something snap.... so yeah. The solution was to cut the flex out and tack weld a new one in place while everything was bolted up, probably what I should have done in the first place (duh!) so I ate an hour or two and a flex section for that one.

Chris I'll give you a call tommorrow, don't know what your plans are for Thursday but if I can end a game of phone tag with someone I will probably be dyno'ing a sc'd 5th gen on Thursday...... hummmm.........
As long as it is before 5 on Thursday I am good. It would be great to have another 5th gen to dyno and compare with.

For others who are interested in fitting a larger turbo I have been looking at some measurements in comparing the GT3071R I have now with the GT3582R.
The turbine housing on the GT3582R is less than a quarter of an inch taller (actual measurement is 0.236") than the turbine housing of the GT3071R. The GT3582R from comperssor inlet to turbine outlet is 1.442" wider than the GT3071R, with the compressor housing being 0.853" longer and the turbine housing being0.591" longer. I took these measurements from Garrett's website.
I have to get under the car and take some measurements as to where to place the external wastegate. I know Tial has come out with a new wastegate, the MV-S, I believe that is only 3.7" tall so I am shooting to find the space to fit that on the manifold.
I am working very hard to get a T3 flanged manifold made and the intercooler piping enlarged to 2.5".
Please feel free to comment, whether it is good or bad.

Last edited by nismomaxct; 09-02-2009 at 08:50 AM.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:15 PM

Got the car dynoed today. Boost was 7psi and just using an FMU, no other tuning device. I only the have the uncorrected numbers in front of me, but I am pretty sure I remember the corrected ones. Three runs were made. The car made 255whp and 285wtq, then 254whp and 292wtq, and on the last run made 262whp and 283wtq. I believe the last run had corrected numbers of 260whp and 278wtq. I will try to get the graph posted up tomorrow.
I am wishing I upped the boost to 11 psi because the turbo is way more effecient with higher boost. I know it is too small for the car, but just from looking over compressor maps this turbo needs to be run in the 15psi range. I just have to get my emanage and 440cc injectors installed and the intercooler piping and intercooler upgraded to get to that point.
I will keep this thread updated as to whether a T3 manifold will be in the future.

Last edited by nismomaxct; 09-03-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:11 PM

I was pretty happy with everybodys numbers today, and I geuss my butt dyno is proving to be pretty accurate I'm looking forward to tuning with something other than an afc also, not being able to take away fuel without inadvertantly advancing timing at the same time blows, I wasn't able to do to much with that supercharged car because it started hitting the knock sensor, plus an intercooler or water/meth would help that car A LOT, the best run was actually the first tuned one with mild corrections between -1 to -3, 300 uncr whp and around 240tq, which was a gain of 10hp and 1 or 2 ft/lb's if anything, but it jumped up roughly 20hp & 5-10 ft/lb's in the 4 - 5,500 range.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:43 AM

Ok, Turbo Specialties has asked that I see how much interest there is in a manifold that is flanged for a T3 turbo. I would like to get this rolling soon so please be sure to spread the word. Do not worry about the downpipe, crossover pipe, motor mount, and intercooler piping. They are going to make the intercooler piping 2.5" and work on the motor mount. They do not want to get involved with the 3" downpipe and changes to crossover pipe, but I have you guys covered there.
So either post in here or PM me and let me know if you would be seriously interested in this kit if it had the option of running a T3 turbo.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:55 AM
Turbo 3.5

I would buy it depending on what size turbo will fit, cause a gt30 size turbo would still be alittle to small
Old 09-19-2009, 12:16 PM

I would buy it depending on what size turbo will fit, cause a gt30 size turbo would still be alittle to small
I got an email last night saying that they are going to go ahead and redo the manifold with a T3 flange and external wastegate. Once it is finished I will take it and test fit it along with a GT35R. I have done a lot of measurements and GT35R will fit there. Is there a specific turbo you have in mind?
Old 09-19-2009, 06:05 PM
Turbo 3.5

I got an email last night saying that they are going to go ahead and redo the manifold with a T3 flange and external wastegate. Once it is finished I will take it and test fit it along with a GT35R. I have done a lot of measurements and GT35R will fit there. Is there a specific turbo you have in mind?
I would most likely use a holset hx35, masterpower 60-1 or gt35r

Last edited by t6378tp; 09-19-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:30 AM

I would most likely use a holset hx35, masterpower 60-1 or gt35r
I wish I still had my HX35. I could test fit it for you. I will keep the thread updated as to when the manifold will be ready as well as with pictures when I get it and the GT35R on the car.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

for people that would like to up grade the turbo... garret came out with a gt30 turbo in a compact size that is exactly the same as the gt28... it use the same 5 bolt flange and the same turbo mani mount... check it out at this site
http://crossoverauto.com/mazdaspeed3.htm

Last edited by twister0069; 10-09-2009 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by twister0069
for people that would like to up grade the turbo... garret came out with a gt30 turbo in a compact size that is exactly the same as the gt28... it use the same 5 bolt flange and the same turbo mani mount... check it out at this site
http://crossoverauto.com/mazdaspeed3.htm
I actually used to have that turbo. It was a GT3076R with a T25 turbine side. I thought I had my Maxima sold so I scrapped the plans to buy this kit an use it. I have been kicking myself ever since for getting rid of it.
O and it is actually an ATP unit. You cannot call Garrett and order the turbo. ATP is the only place that has it.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:41 PM
Bad Mother Fornicator

So how much does install for this kit cost, Kevin?
Old 10-19-2009, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by DJ420
So how much does install for this kit cost, Kevin?
Did you buy the kit?
Old 10-22-2009, 06:12 AM
Bad Mother Fornicator

Did you buy the kit?
I did not.. to be honest with you, I was just about to pull the trigger and order it, until I happened upon this thread! NOW, Im not so sure I want to get it..
Old 01-17-2011, 01:21 AM

Let's bring this thread from the dead. So, any updates? So if you were to purchase this kit what do you think is the best turbo to run it with and Turbo Specialties is willing to sell? I'm strongly considering this kit for it's complexity.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by VQtHuRtY
Let's bring this thread from the dead. So, any updates? So if you were to purchase this kit what do you think is the best turbo to run it with and Turbo Specialties is willing to sell? I'm strongly considering this kit for it's complexity.
If I remember correctly, this kit uses a GT28 or something.

That is a rather small turbo for a 3.0 liter V6.

If you are willing to make the modifications pointed out in the youtube videos, then I would go for it.

I wouldn't expect more than 350 to the wheels though. Probably more like 325.

Your best bet is to pay someone to make you a custom feed/down pipe setup. Probably cost around 800.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:51 PM

I parted my car out that had this kit installed on it. Turbo specialties actually made me a T3 flanged turbo manifold, ported for an external wastegate. I bought it and had every intention to install it with a bigger turbo, but then my transmission went. I came upon a killer deal for an 02 6 speed so I parted the car out. I sold the turbo kit with the new manifold, but when I shipped everything I sent the manifold in a separate box and USPS lost it. So that was the end of my saga with the kit. If you get the kit, you will need to modify it. If they still have the ability to make a T3 flanged manifold then you can get that and the correct turbo from them and it shouldn't cost you more than the regular kit, but you still need to get a downpipe fabbed up. And the intercooler piping needs to be upgraded to at least 2.5". I liked how complete the kit and the placement of the turbo was nice and kept things clean. I turboed my 5.5 gen for the same money I spent on this kit, but I do not have the limitations I did with this kit (i.e. engine management, turbo, intercooler piping, etc.) If you have any questions feel free to post in here or PM me.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:34 PM

I sure will. That's my project for 2011. So ask for a t3 flange and what size of turbo should I go with, that would fit (clearance wise). I don't really want more than 300 whp, it will be daily driven.

Last edited by VQtHuRtY; 01-17-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:24 PM

i would get the kit without turbo from these guys and just go with a t3! Would it be safe to run this kit with about 280whp on a high mileage vq? around 200k?
Old 01-18-2011, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by VQtHuRtY
I sure will. That's my project for 2011. So ask for a t3 flange and what size of turbo should I go with, that would fit (clearance wise). I don't really want more than 300 whp, it will be daily driven.
When you call ask for Doug. He was the guy that I dealt with. I would ask them if you can get the kit without a turbo and just buy your own T3 turbo. If you are only looking for 300whp a GT30R or equivalent would be fine. I think a GT35R is the ideal turbo though.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by NissanTun3r
i would get the kit without turbo from these guys and just go with a t3! Would it be safe to run this kit with about 280whp on a high mileage vq? around 200k?
As long as your motor is in good shape to begin with, it shouldn't be a problem. I only had about 110,000 on my car when I installed the kit, but as long as your tune is good and your motor is in good shape you should be fine. My transmission was the weak link, but I had issues with that before I installed the kit.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:52 AM
Turbo 3.5

Why spend to 2-3k for a kit you have to mod and is so limited. I would just wait and buy a complete kit from someone on the org and if your worried about the turbo being used just buy their kit without the turbo and get a new one. I've seen pfi kits go for 1200-2000 and they are good for 350-400hp easy
Old 01-19-2011, 12:48 PM

Why spend to 2-3k for a kit you have to mod and is so limited. I would just wait and buy a complete kit from someone on the org and if your worried about the turbo being used just buy their kit without the turbo and get a new one. I've seen pfi kits go for 1200-2000 and they are good for 350-400hp easy
That is what I ended up doing. Bought a PFI kit and modded it to fit the 5.5 gen. I think some people are worried about there being missing pieces (nuts, bolts, fittings, etc.).
Old 01-19-2011, 02:02 PM
Turbo 3.5

That is what I ended up doing. Bought a PFI kit and modded it to fit the 5.5 gen. I think some people are worried about there being missing pieces (nuts, bolts, fittings, etc.).
thats minor **** that total won't cost more than 20-30bucks
Old 01-19-2011, 02:09 PM

thats minor **** that total won't cost more than 20-30bucks
O I totally agree with you, and a PFI kit would be the better choice. Some people just like having everything and not having to search for parts. However, the amount of work to get this kit customized is too much to make up for the fact that it comes with every nut and bolt.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:35 PM

Old 01-19-2011, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Rood
What are you trying to say? and What are you doing in here? lol.

Quick Reply: Turbo Specialties VQ30 turbo kit review