Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Budget of $ 5 to 6 K

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 02:21 PM

Budget of $ 5 to 6 K

Hello,
Finally I'm able to do something with $$$. I need as many opinions/ advice/ guidance as I can. I finally have that kinda money to make my car faster. The way I'm looking at this I have three options.
Option # 1 : I really want to Turbo Charge my 1998 Maxima 5spd.
Option # 2 : Or save up a little bit more and buy a new Car.
Option # 3 : Or throw a little money away and make my car look pretty ( lip kit, side skirts, nice paint job, etc etc).
The only reason I'm a little hesitant doing a Turbo becuz its a daily driven, actually i'm really not worried about that becuz I got another motor.I'm not worried about the labor, but the problem is there are not alot of performance shops in Kansas City, who can do custom bending and welding. Plus I'm electrically illiterate. So if anyone can help I'll greatly appreciate it.
Thankyou !
Old 02-15-2008, 02:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

In omaha I know of at least 5 speed shops that can do that type of stuff...I would bet that KC has a lot more than 5.

But If I had that kinda cash to blow I would TC....but thats me...
Old 02-15-2008, 02:42 PM

Unless u have been to K.C it's diff story. Trust me in Kansas City there are none, there are shops who doesn't wanna touch my car becuz of what I wanna do. If I was blowing my money away I would've bought smoe fire works, but thanx for ur opinion I appreciate it.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by fawad
Unless u have been to K.C it's diff story. Trust me in Kansas City there are none, there are shops who doesn't wanna touch my car becuz of what I wanna do. If I was blowing my money away I would've bought smoe fire works, but thanx for ur opinion I appreciate it.
Bring it to Omaha...I know of at least 2 that are willing to turbo my 95...I just dont have the money...
Old 02-15-2008, 03:09 PM
Turbo 3.5

imho if your going to have trouble with wiring, tuning, piping and etc and this is your DD then just get a SC kit or nitrous. it's alot easier to find a used SC kit with all the piping or go with a small shot of nitrous and you'll still have money left over to your lip and side skirts
Old 02-16-2008, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by t6378tp
imho if your going to have trouble with wiring, tuning, piping and etc and this is your DD then just get a SC kit or nitrous. it's alot easier to find a used SC kit with all the piping or go with a small shot of nitrous and you'll still have money left over to your lip and side skirts
It may be easier to s/c but i would turbo my self. I have both a s/c and turbo car and i am thinking of turboing the s/c car. They just arent what i thought they would be. Sound great but performance not what i wanted.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by kzoosho
It may be easier to s/c but i would turbo my self. I have both a s/c and turbo car and i am thinking of turboing the s/c car. They just arent what i thought they would be. Sound great but performance not what i wanted.
You bought the 99 GXE i was thinking of buying the S/C car i just dint. Anyway is the difference night and day between the two beasts. I was thinking of S/C and then changing the blower or upgrading it to the T trim or the YSI but i still have to do some research on the YSI.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:37 AM
Turbo 3.5

but remember you are comparing a apple to a orange, turbo to sc, auto to 5-speed

can not really compare to different animals and then say one is better than the other both have there pro's and con's but in his case it does not sound like he has the means to turbo a car so a sc would be a good solution cause he will not have to worry about fabbing anything

Last edited by t6378tp; 02-16-2008 at 10:40 AM.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:16 AM

as for the main topic, something tells me, you will be better off buying another car.

Considering the auto u got now has at least a VB mod, i would t/c that thing, swap everything over from the other max, and s/c the black one lol. turbo auto > All!!!
Old 02-16-2008, 04:16 PM

but remember you are comparing a apple to a orange, turbo to sc, auto to 5-speed

can not really compare to different animals and then say one is better than the other both have there pro's and con's but in his case it does not sound like he has the means to turbo a car so a sc would be a good solution cause he will not have to worry about fabbing anything
If he cant fab then yea s/c would be the easiest but still imho not the best way to go. And legenz before i s/c my 5sp i would turbo them both and sell the s/c .
Old 02-16-2008, 05:37 PM

save up and buy a 5.5 gen FTW!
Old 02-16-2008, 06:47 PM
Turbo 3.5

If he cant fab then yea s/c would be the easiest but still imho not the best way to go. And legenz before i s/c my 5sp i would turbo them both and sell the s/c .
dib's on the sc kit
Old 02-16-2008, 07:09 PM

I was actually going to buy that kit from turbo specialties and go with GT3071R, since they said there is enough room to put it there. Piping I might have to get it redone since it only comes with 2 inch. I know i need atleast 2 1/2 or 3 inch in order for better flow and Z32 maf since stock is just going to max out. I know what I'll be getting myself into, just don't know if its worth it ?
Old 02-16-2008, 08:40 PM
Turbo 3.5

I was actually going to buy that kit from turbo specialties and go with GT3071R, since they said there is enough room to put it there. Piping I might have to get it redone since it only comes with 2 inch. I know i need atleast 2 1/2 or 3 inch in order for better flow and Z32 maf since stock is just going to max out. I know what I'll be getting myself into, just don't know if its worth it ?
read this post? then look at other setups and see what kind of power they are pushing at 9si and this should help you to see if it's worth it

Originally Posted by doc2278
Update: dyno tuned yesterday, 9psi tuned here are the numbers,.... 227.5wtq, 214.4whp (automatic). standard correction method. here are the mods besides the turbo, udp, 3'' exhaust (dynoed w/ tip in). Blehmco ground wire kit. turbo xs boost controller. CDI unit. This max is now a BEAST!!!! i have the graph I will post it up later
Old 02-16-2008, 09:00 PM

I respect what u are trying to say but Doc, used the T28 that came with that kit if you remember. I don't know if he ever went with the GT3071R or not. I read that turbo kit review post way too many times and his numbers surprised alot especially me after what that kit is priced at, but like I said he had T28 (little turbo). Another thing that Doc was impressed by the completeness of that kit.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:06 AM
Turbo 3.5

I respect what u are trying to say but Doc, used the T28 that came with that kit if you remember. I don't know if he ever went with the GT3071R or not. I read that turbo kit review post way too many times and his numbers surprised alot especially me after what that kit is priced at, but like I said he had T28 (little turbo). Another thing that Doc was impressed by the completeness of that kit.
I wasn't trying to say anything good or bad just wanted to show you the #'s he got out of his setup so you could compare. since he is the only person that I know of with this kit
Old 02-19-2008, 05:53 AM

I wasn't trying to say anything good or bad just wanted to show you the #'s he got out of his setup so you could compare. since he is the only person that I know of with this kit
Yea but like he said that lil itty bitty turbo wasnt really going to make any numbers. think there have been others that have put down way more with the same amount of boost. And to even think that Fawad is looking at a much larger turbo he should get way better results from the same kit .
Old 02-20-2008, 11:26 AM

I am selling my whole turbo kit if you want to check it out. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=552739