Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Now Supercharged

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 12:42 AM

Now Supercharged

Hi All,

Took me a while, but finally have my Supercharger on my VQ. First started up on Nov, 25th, Friday.

The power is amazing, with the crap tires I have, it always breaks loose easily. I haven't gotten on it too much, as the motor is still breaking in. Number of issues had to be fixed. I had read the V1 is loud, but wow, I have to save up for a V2.

I have to say the Cattman & Apexi WS exhaust note is awesome sounding. A buddy of mine said it reminded him of a Corvette. It does have a slight slight lope, I assume due to the RevUp cams

Bought my DE-K around Aug/Sept of last year took a while to tear it down and then rebuild it. This DE-K was not originally meant for this car, this car was picked up in August this year. Lots of sidetracking with this project though, Supercharger was not originally in the cards, it was supposed to be a simple DE-K rebuild with headers. Sometimes the mod bug hits hard.... The car also needed a lot of other maintenance items (98 steering rack, front wheel bearings, new axles, etc).

Car: 1996 Maxima SE, 5-spd, 135k on the chassis

Mods:

1) Freshly rebuild DE-K
- Rev-Up Cams @ 8* advance with StephenMax adapters (cams need other mods to work in 3.0L properly, btw)
- Rev-Up Oil pump
- Rev-Up Valve spring retainers
- HR valve springs
- Rotating assembly fully balanced
- Flywheel and pressure plate zero balanced
- New main tensioner & guide
- New OEM rod and main bearings
- New OEM rings
- Swaincoated pistons
- Swaincoated combustion chambers & exhaust ports
- Nismo FPR
- OEM Platinum plugs
- 4th gen IACV, but with 5th gen IACV attached only., 4th gen/5th gen hybrid EGR

2) Cattman header, Swaincoated
3) Apexi WS exhaust (original, not WS2)
4) SPEC stage 3 clutch & Fidanza flywheel
5) Supercharger - V1, 3.125 pulley, Stillen charge pipes
6) 3.5" coldair intake with JWT Popcharger (the one for the Cobra MAF is 3.5")
7) All emissions retained
- All new O2 sensors

8) JWT ECU
- DE-K injectors @ 4bar
- 7,500 RPM Rev limiter, have not visited yet due to 00VI not complete and motor is breaking in.

9) Walbro 255LPH HP
10) Stock 5-SPD..., rebuilt with Altima 5th gear. Revs about 350rpm lower
- B&M STS
- Replaced shifter bushing(?)

Future plans:
1) V2 upgrade
2) Intercooler (maybe)
3) Brakes...
4) Wheels and tires
5) LSD - 6th SPD or Quaiffe
6) Upgrade plugs
7) Suspension (have subframe collars and LCA bushings already), thinking coilovers.

I have a WBO, but need to install it. I also have a AFC Neo, but it is not installed. My 00VI is not activated at RPM right now.

Anyway, she looks like a normal ol' Maxima but tons of power, no visual mods, only the noise gives it away.

Once it breaks in, I'm really interested in seeing a dyno on this beastie.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:59 AM

throw up a pic man. Sounds like a sleeper
Old 11-28-2011, 10:08 AM

Can't wait to see the dyno on this!! Nice build man! Whats the compression ratio on your pistons?
Old 11-28-2011, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by hurddawg
- Rev-Up Cams @ 8* advance with StephenMax adapters (cams need other mods to work in 3.0L properly, btw)
So what other mods are needed? Flava 24/7 just put them in too and he didn't mention anything about any additional mods.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:12 PM

Pics

Pics of the motor is just before I dropped it in. I havent taken any pics of the motor in the car yet though. The pic of the car is the day I bought it, so its a bit cleaner now than then. However it looks no different, except for the tail pipe.

P.S. The oil feed line is different, I bought new AN lines.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by McSteve
So what other mods are needed? Flava 24/7 just put them in too and he didn't mention anything about any additional mods.
I'm not entirely sure what Flava has, but if he has a 3.5L then he's fine.

From what I found when building the motor is the 3.5L oils the exhaust cam bearings differently because of the possible configuration of VTCs on the exhaust cam. 3.0L do not have a version with exhaust cam VTCs, at the time of manufacture anyway.

When you use the Rev-Up cams in a non-VTC motor, you are required to use intake cam bolts, the stock 3.0L exhaust ones do not reach the threads in the rev-up. This is discussed in the forum, I think in all motor forum. I think this part is common knowledge. If you notice due to the length of the intake cam bolts, it plugs up the oil galley in the otherwise hollow cam. With the intake bolt installed only the #1 cam bearing will be oiled. The other bearings will not.

So why does the intake cam bolt work on the intake cam? Well the intake cam on the 3.0L has two oil passages. On the #1 bearing and the #2 bearing. At the #2 bearing it is passed the intake cam bolt. So in this case all the bearings will be oiled.

I tested this thoroughly with brake cleaner. With the intake cam bolt installed and blowing brake cleaner in the #1 bearing it will not oil the others.

Why does it work on the 3.5L? Nissan designed the exhaust cam side as a mirror image of the intake cam side, oiling wise anyway. It also has a oiling point on the #2 bearing cap.

Why do the stock cams on a 3.0L work?
It has the shorter exhaust cam bolt, and it does not block the oil port on the #1 exhaust cam bearing.

You can see what I did on my motor to achieve this oiling; its that copper line on the front of the motor near the head (1 per head). I tapped into a oil feed galley and then drilled a hole into the #2 bearing like it was done at the factory for the intake. The only problem is that I had to cannibalize another VQ for intake cam #2 cam bearing caps to replace them on the exhaust cam side. Its not perfect but at least I know I can run them without the bearings failing on me.

Hope that explains it, any questions welcome...
Old 11-28-2011, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by ranmas2004
Can't wait to see the dyno on this!! Nice build man! Whats the compression ratio on your pistons?
Thanks. I kept the stock comp ratio. 10:1.

Revs smooth as silk.

Looks like a coil pack is going out. Time to change them...
Old 11-29-2011, 06:36 PM

Makes sense except the FWD VQ35 doesn't have exhaust VTC either. So IDK if that's why there are differences. You're referring to this post right?

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
Update: Make sure you have some vq30 intake cam bolts handy to use on the rev-up exhaust cams.

Timing guy says hello

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
Update. So here's the kicker (good suggestion Paul, Me and my landlord were discussing that earlier) Anyways, wow, ****ing FSM FTL. I hope anyways :Hide: Anyways, it appears that the FSM isn't correct, the #1 cam journal has an oil passage leading up to it, it lubricates itself. The #2 cam bearing journal ALSO has an oil passage leading up to it, and that one runs through the cam and feeds 3 & 4, if you look at a #2 cam bearing cap or can remember, this is the one that has a little extra flange coming off of it, not shaped symetrical like the 3 & 4 (I know, there not sym at all ) The #1 also has these passages, yet according to the FSM's for both ru, regular 3.5, as well as 3.0 this passage doesn't exist and the chart says #1 journal feeds 2-3-4.

So, hopefully all goes well tommorrow morning, covers are all buttoned up and sitting for the night, I'll have a little work ahead of me and than I will fire it up, looking forward to taking it for a spin

Now, on to the bolt situation, since I still had one, albeit much more minor.... Intake cam bolts from a VQ30 are the PERFECT dimensions
http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/5...v-up-cams.html

so there should another feed on the bottom of this picture?

Last edited by McSteve; 11-29-2011 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:12 AM

Yep, that's the post I'm referring to.

And yes, the head pic you showed would need a oiling hole/port on the "bottom" of the head near the #2 bearing, in addition to a new bearing cap. From the factory you can see in the pic, there is space for one, just its not drilled or have a oil galley to it.

Having pointed out the FWD VQ35's not having VTCs on the exhaust. You got me there. Dunno why Nissan did one way or the other, but its still an issue the VQ30 faces with Revups in them.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:46 PM

So the original Rev-up bolts block the oil passage way as well but it has the additional #2 oil feed?

That mean that modifying the bolts won't work, unless we could find a bolt that fits with an oil passage. like the style of the upper bolt (red) in this picture

Last edited by McSteve; 11-30-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:38 PM

Something like the bolt in the pic would work. The channel in the threads would allow oil through the cams that way.

you could try somehow to modify the stock bolts...I was thinking of that but I didnt have a good way to do it. So I ended up doing what I did.

Ryan
Old 12-18-2011, 09:13 PM

congrats man
Old 12-19-2011, 04:20 PM

Very very nice setup - you put the money in the right places.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:12 PM

very nice always glad to see someone boosting the max
Old 09-18-2013, 07:58 AM

What happened to this?
Old 09-18-2013, 08:46 AM

I had some problems with an oil leak on the external fittings on the rear head. After repeated attempts to fix the issue I gave up (its a pain to get to with the motor in the car). I sold the car and sold the parts. I sold the car about 4 months ago to a friend and another member here has most of the go-fast parts from it.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:21 PM

Old 10-02-2013, 03:29 PM

That sucks to do all that work and then give it away maybe the next guy can make it work