Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

falken zx512

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 11:12 AM

falken zx512

what is your guys input on these????? 225/50/17
Old 10-20-2003, 11:14 AM

I ordered mine from Disount Tire a week ago.
They are backordered, but I ordered the exact size you are asking about to replace the Turanzas on my 2k2 GLE.

From what CR says, they are good to go. Time will tell.
Old 10-21-2003, 11:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I put mine on 3 weeks ago, replacing the OEM Potenzas with 21k miles. Also 225/50/17/. (The choice of tires in this size is quite limited, as you have probably found out.) The Potenzas were not really worn out, but their well-known tendency to hydroplane was getting really scary with winter coming on in Boston.

I think the steering feel is slightly numb compared to the Potenzas. Possibly this is just the result of going from half-tread to new tread depth, but I'm pretty sure it is there. Aside from that I don't find a lot of difference from the Potenzas on dry pavement. I think the noise level at highway speeds is basically unchanged. I don't think the handling has suffered and if anything the actual response to steering inputs (as opposed to the steering feedback) seems a little crisper. There is equal ease of causing wheelspin when accelerating straight ahead or in corners and I haven't spun the car so I can't tell you about cornering limits.

I would say the Falkens are slightly better than the Potenzas when accelerating and braking on damp pavement, but then merely damp pavement was not the real problem with the Potenzas (at least in mild weather). So far I have not had an opportunity to drive them in heavy rain, but my experience with Falken directional-tread tires on previous cars was excellent even in deep puddles at highway speeds. Others in maxima.org also report being happy with these tires in heavy rain. I hope the Falkens will be less sensitive to low temperatures than the Potenzas - I found them to be quite hard and slippery on anything but perfectly dry pavement during cold, wet weather last winter. (I have many years of driving experience during Northeast winters, and, aside from a mid-80s set of economy-car Goodyears, the Potenzas were the worst excuse for all-season tires that I ever encountered.)

My guess is that if you want the best tires, probably you have to pay for the Michelin Pilots, but the Falkens seem "good enough" for me and they are a hell of a lot cheaper. However I also have no pretense of being a race driver.

BTW Discount Tire screwed up the shipping on my tires... search for my post from early October in the "vendor experiences" forum if you want details. Definitely double-check them if you are shipping to an address different from your credit card billing address.
Old 10-22-2003, 04:52 AM
Ben

Consumer reports gave them #1 rating for performance tire. I love mine, rain or shine.
Old 10-22-2003, 10:47 AM

I ordered mine yesterday at Sears. They matched the prices from Discounttiredirect.com without me even asking - a nice suprise!

My Potenzas with 35k on them are scary in the rain.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:39 PM

I bought a set of these 11k miles ago & I am quite pleased. They still have good tread & I have ripped down the interstate @ 80, 90, 100 mph on rain-slicked roads and they feel very stable.

Just my .02