Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Chrome wheel cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2003, 05:52 AM

Chrome wheel cleaning

I recently bought some chrome wheels and I wanna know how I can keep 'em clean. I like to clean my car myself but with the cold weather coming, I don't do it. Will an automatic car wash damage the chrome? How often should I take it through one? Also, what is a good chrome wheel cleaner that I can use from now until the weather REALLY breaks?
Old 10-31-2003, 06:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by hitpro
I recently bought some chrome wheels and I wanna know how I can keep 'em clean. I like to clean my car myself but with the cold weather coming, I don't do it. Will an automatic car wash damage the chrome? How often should I take it through one? Also, what is a good chrome wheel cleaner that I can use from now until the weather REALLY breaks?
An automatic car wash will not damage chrome rims. You can wash the car whenever it's dirty. I'm a detailer, what I use to clean them is adhesive label remover (for any excess dirt) and glass cleaner (for a shine) use a microfiber towel for wiping them down.
Old 11-01-2003, 04:06 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by hitpro
An auto car wash may not damage the wheels, but it can be hell on paint unless it's touchless. I use nothing but soap( or car wash) and water on my wheels. Quality of chrome differs depending on the manufacturer of the wheel. Some chemicals in cleaners can start to slowly eat away at the chrome on your wheels. The finish slowly deteriorates and you start to notice they don't shine like they used to. They'll sort of tarnish or haze. I was told (by 2 top wheel manufacturers) to treat a chrome wheel like a good paint job. Use nothing abrasive, and nothing that will eat away at the chrome finish.