Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

which wheel combo better for the drag strip?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 09:38 PM

which wheel combo better for the drag strip?

I have a couple sets of wheels here and deciding which to put on for drag.

18x7.5 - 235/40/18 yohohama es100 (wheel alone is 18 lbs)

16x7.5 - 225/50/16 BFG g-force all season (wheel alone is about 20 lbs)
Old 04-08-2004, 09:58 PM

bump
. . .
Old 04-09-2004, 11:12 AM

Sorry, I don't know much about the tires, but I would probably go with the 16's for drag racing. Even though they are heavier, the weight distribution is closer to the wheel hub and I would think that may give you an advantage over the 18's. The tires also may be heavier on the 18's, so I've heard, I guess because they are reinforced a little more. It's a tough call though, I think I would go with the 16's.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:18 PM

yea true. One other thing to consider is the 16s have all seasons on which are really hard compound but my 18s have stickier summer tires which may help the launch rather than spin the all season 16s. I might just run with the 18s since Im curious about how fast I run without changing anything besides removing my subs.
Old 04-09-2004, 05:26 PM

you want more side wall for drag launch.....so the 16 would be better...side wall flex is good lets the tire absorb the shock of the launch.. helping the tire hook ..... low pro tires for handling don't launch that well...much more spin....if you want the best launch look for the Nitto or BFG drag radials
Old 04-09-2004, 05:31 PM
SLOW

The 16s will be better. More sidewall = better. Summer tires or all season or winter tires it doesnt matter, street tires are street tires and you won't see any better 60' times using one tire or another. It really makes no difference unless you are stepping up to DRs or slicks.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:39 PM
Old Maxima Legend

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
The 16s will be better. More sidewall = better. Summer tires or all season or winter tires it doesnt matter, street tires are street tires and you won't see any better 60' times using one tire or another. It really makes no difference unless you are stepping up to DRs or slicks.

I agree with Neal !!
Old 04-09-2004, 07:44 PM

sounds great!
Old 04-09-2004, 07:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I am still trying to figure out why people want to run street tires at the track.

What are you trying to prove? How fast my car is on the street? Oh, you are a street racer!!!

If not spend a few bucks get some slicks and see what your car will really do.

Who cares what it will do on the street if you aren't a street racer?

Trying to nurse a car out of the hole with zero traction is like trying to race on a frozen lake, it doesn't prove anything and there is no yardstick to compare to.

People ask me what times I run on street tires? My reply is usually, I am not sure, haven't tried it.

Actually I did last saturday because Eric (ejj) came up from Buffalo and I let him use my slicks, so I put on my street tires and ran a 14.0, I think that is the first or second time I have tried and and probably never will again.

Its a non issue and doesn't mean a darn thing.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:21 PM

Im not a street racer or a track racer, Im just there for the heck of it. being a jobless student that I am, I cant afford slicks or DRs so Ill just pay the $16 just to have a few hours of fun. I do have a set of 300zx wheels I was planning on putting DRs on but havent got to that yet.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:59 PM

Dude, I'd use the 300zx wheels for drag racing if you can get some tires on them. 16lbs each is a four pound loss over your current 16's.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:37 PM

Yea I was thinking of swapping my tires off the other set and put them on the Zs but at the time I was trying to sell the 16s so I left them on.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Nismo
Im not a street racer or a track racer, Im just there for the heck of it. being a jobless student that I am, I cant afford slicks or DRs so Ill just pay the $16 just to have a few hours of fun. I do have a set of 300zx wheels I was planning on putting DRs on but havent got to that yet.
Hey Nismo, I am not trying to bust anyone's ***** who likes to go out and have fun.

We all don't have an endless bankroll to spend and I can appreciate that.

However, we do have many folks who have ooodles of bucks to spend on other needless items that won't buy half decent set of wheels and tires for racing.

Heck I run a used set of Kosei K1's and a 5th year set of used slicks with a combined net worth of probably less than $150.

I love to help folks who are trying to get their cars to go faster for less so I am certainly not trying to knock you or anyone else who is out for the fun and love of racing.

You are on the right track, get the lightest, cheapest wheels you can get, but try and get some used slicks eventually vs DR's if you can. I have run streets, DR's and slicks all the same day with a 35 shots and times were, 15.1, 13.9 and 13.2 respectively, with all runs being run within a 30 min time period so there is a drastic difference in times with the right combo.

Have fun and don't take my rantings the wrong way.
Jime
Old 04-09-2004, 11:37 PM

Thanks, its ok I didnt take anything the wrong way.

just to make shure were on the same page here,

I hope you didnt think I made this post to ask what wheel combo I should buy for dedicated drag racing,
I already have both of these sets at home and just wondering what would be better for drag fun. Hope you didnt read it as which dedicated wheel/tire combo I should buy for drag purpose only.

Also hope that this post wasnt the reason for your other post in the general forum.
Old 04-10-2004, 12:01 AM

I'd have to agree with most people here and say that the 16" wheels will probably do better when launching, but it'd even be better if you can afford slick tires on the 16"s.

~limsandy
Old 04-10-2004, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by Nismo
Thanks, its ok I didnt take anything the wrong way.

just to make shure were on the same page here,

I hope you didnt think I made this post to ask what wheel combo I should buy for dedicated drag racing,
I already have both of these sets at home and just wondering what would be better for drag fun. Hope you didnt read it as which dedicated wheel/tire combo I should buy for drag purpose only.

Also hope that this post wasnt the reason for your other post in the general forum.

No and No. Absolutely not on the gen forum post either. I enjoy helping people out with any sort of problem if I can and sometimes I get carried away too because I tend to always think of the racing only aspect of just about everything.

Its the responses to technical questions with misinformation to people who are truly seeking sound advice that drives me crazy.

Rosamax gave you the best advice and comments on the 16's, even though they are a bit heavier they should give better performance.

Actually the best way to buy cheap wheels is through car-part.com. Just find an RX7 or similar wheel you know will fit. I just picked up a couple for $35 and $45 ea and $10 for shipping, its a great parts source.