Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Falken ST-115 tires any good?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 05:23 PM

Falken ST-115 tires any good?

Hey everyone. I was wondering if anyone was using Falken ST-115 tires on their max. I am looking to get 19"s and there is a rim + tire package on wheeldiscount.com that comes with what I believe are Falken ST-115 (the only tires they offer to fit a 215/35/19.) Also, if people are using any other brand of tire and would like to recommend them to me, I would be grateful (same tire size please.)Thanks.

~Wolf
Old 11-29-2004, 12:57 AM

Try www.discounttiredirect.com, better prices. Go with 245's, they'll give you a smoother ride...
Old 11-29-2004, 01:00 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

Wrong forum. If you're getting 19" wheels (that I'm assuming are 8" wide) why would you get such a narrow tire? I have 245/35/19 on my car, like many others with 19" wheels. If that is all that is available via that package, I'd move on.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've got Falken Azenis ST-115's on my Turbo Supra and on my Maxima. They are excellent tires, with a new type of tire compound that makes them significantly quieter than virtually all other tires. On my Max, I've got 19" x 8" rims with 245/35-19's, and they fit perfectly on the rim, and on the car. 215/35-19's would be a little too narrow for 7" wide rims, and would be stupid-narrow on 8" wide rims. Do NOT buy tires that are narrower than the ones that came stock on our cars, that would give you a DECREASE in cornering performance.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:00 AM

you need to talke to matt93se. he had st115's and they were horrible. The were cracked and falling apart after only a couple thousand miles.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:11 AM
STFU n00b!

DO NOT buy the ST-115 if you do anything more than highway driving...
I had these on a road course for THREE LAPS and this is what happened to them:

they only lasted me 8000 miles as well, and I had a 4 wheel alignment done before and after these tires, with no problems at all. I adjusted my front toe about 0.2 degrees on the second alignment. otherwise perfect.

I tried to talk to Discount tire about it, and they simply voided the warranty on the tires and told me to go f*** myself.

Sure thing.. and I'm telling EVERYONE about that experience.

Shortly after posting my review of their tires on their website (actually epinions.com, which they linked from their site), I was sent an email from Discount Tire asking me to remove my bad comments because the tires were obviously faulty-- yet I couldn't get them warrantied by them?..
so we went round and round for a while, and I told them to go screw themselves, as they did me.

Shortly after that, the links from their websites to tire reviews dissappeared..
Old 11-29-2004, 09:13 AM

why didnt you go directly to falken and talk to a tech support???? Sounds like you have a problem with discount and not falken. These are a luxury tire with performance aspects for grip driving i suggest the falken azenis sports, fk451's or azenis rt615. I have seen these tires run on all of our drift cars here at falken and while they can put up with the abuse i suggest something else.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by SEmy2K2go
Wrong forum. If you're getting 19" wheels (that I'm assuming are 8" wide) why would you get such a narrow tire? I have 245/35/19 on my car, like many others with 19" wheels. If that is all that is available via that package, I'd move on.
Thanks for your post. I found out that the rim I was looking at was a 19" x 7.5... too thin a rim for me... I am now looking at some different rim; 19" x 8.5 so I won't look odd with 245/35/19

Now I just have to wait a month and then I can get my reward... a chrismass gift for myself.

~Wolf

and matt.... damn those tires got messed up!
Old 11-30-2004, 04:22 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

I had 115s on my SSRs. Quiet and grips well. Tread wear is quick though.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:33 PM
STFU n00b!

Originally Posted by Battle Max V2.0
why didnt you go directly to falken and talk to a tech support???? Sounds like you have a problem with discount and not falken. These are a luxury tire with performance aspects for grip driving i suggest the falken azenis sports, fk451's or azenis rt615. I have seen these tires run on all of our drift cars here at falken and while they can put up with the abuse i suggest something else.

I did take it to Falken. they told me I had to take it up with the dealer I bought the tires from.. which was discount.. so I called the corporate office.. they wouldn't do **** about it.. "take it to a local shop and have them look at them"
I took it to the shop I had all my work done at, he took one look and voided the warranty in the computer.. ..
obviously none of those people are willing to take the blame for a bad product so they keep passing the buck. I don't put up with that ish and I'm just taking my business elsewhere from now on. If you can't stand behind your products, then you have nothing... and you don't have my business.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
I did take it to Falken. they told me I had to take it up with the dealer I bought the tires from.. which was discount.. so I called the corporate office.. they wouldn't do **** about it.. "take it to a local shop and have them look at them"
I took it to the shop I had all my work done at, he took one look and voided the warranty in the computer.. ..
obviously none of those people are willing to take the blame for a bad product so they keep passing the buck. I don't put up with that ish and I'm just taking my business elsewhere from now on. If you can't stand behind your products, then you have nothing... and you don't have my business.
Im sorry that you had a bad experience with Falken product..and i hope you find with your looking for with another company. But i dont see any company giving a warranty to a tire that was used for other than highway driving thats just a fact of life. Also what made you choose that tire for road racing rather than some more race inspired tires that falken offers?? Just as an FYI if anyone has a valid problem with a falken product please use the advice i stated above.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:36 PM
VIP Maxima

so john, would u still recommend the azenis for daily driving (mostly city). plannin to warp them in 19's and slamm the car down. this thread got me worried, i thought i had picked the tires i was going to get...

Old 12-06-2004, 03:45 PM

I wanna hear more about these. They have an excellent price so I might pick some up if I hear more good things about em.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:51 AM
STFU n00b!

Originally Posted by Battle Max V2.0
Im sorry that you had a bad experience with Falken product..and i hope you find with your looking for with another company. But i dont see any company giving a warranty to a tire that was used for other than highway driving thats just a fact of life. Also what made you choose that tire for road racing rather than some more race inspired tires that falken offers?? Just as an FYI if anyone has a valid problem with a falken product please use the advice i stated above.

I was TOLD to buy these after telling the guy at discount what I was doing with them! Here's his statement when I bought them: "This is a high performance tire that will blow away the Kumho 712 on the track and is much quieter on the street. If you want a tire that can do road course use and street use, these are the ones you want."

so I bought them based on that recommendation.

As for actually being used on the road course, I had them on the track for THREE LAPS when they started doing that. I was driving about 70% at that point and they weren't even making any noise.. I was not driving hard on them at all.. These would have done the same thing on the street had I driven down a back country road the way I usually do.
I have NEVER seen a performance tire do this, and I've been through almost 20 sets of tires in the last few years. yes, 20.

Pirelli P7000SS, two sets.
Firestone SZ50, two sets.
Yoko AVS of some sort, one set.
Nitto 460, two sets.
Kumho 712, three sets in 16", two or three sets in 17"
Toyo RA-1, two sets
Sumitomo HTRZ II, one set
Falken ST-115, one set.
Potenza S02, one set.
Toyo T1-S, one set.
Kumho ASX, one set (and will be buying another)

ALL of those tires have seen track use, except for the Kumho ASX- which are my all-season street tires now and I have dedicated track wheels.
Before that, ALL of those tires were used in Auto X and road course events. None of them came apart like the Falkens.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:47 AM

just curious, but before you took them to the track that day, how long have you had them, and how did u like they way they drove on the street?
Old 02-22-2005, 01:58 PM

i just got these tires today from tires.com and i'm looking forward to installing them in my car. but i felt the sidewall and they feel a bit soft, anyone know? i have 235.45.17 but i hope it's just soft when it's not mounted on the rim and is fine when inflated. anyone have bad experiences with the sidewalls?
Old 02-22-2005, 05:04 PM
STFU n00b!

Stuntin.. I hated them before that as well.
They stuck to the road decently, but no better than any other tire I put on in the same price range..
The problem was the sidewall is VERY stiff. any tiny bumps in the road or even seams in the concrete were very harsh and made the suspension rattle. (solid heim joints in the back.. rattle=noisy!).

I had approx 5000 miles on them before I took them to the track.

When I switched to my Kumho ASX, they stuck almost as well, but the ride comfort was greatly improved, and small bumps in the road didn't upset the car nearly as much.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:07 PM

man i'm sorry to hear that, i'm gonna be riding on progress springs as well... damnnn i hope this isn't a bad set up and isn't uncomfortable. maybe the grip will compensate with the stiff sidewalls? so these tires are very sticky during dry surfaces but what about wet?