Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Give me a reason not to buy a set of Avon Tech M550 A/S

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 12:51 PM

Give me a reason not to buy a set of Avon Tech M550 A/S

Alright so I need some new tires. I've been reading all the threads around here for a couple of weeks now. The size I need is either 225/50-17, or 225/45-17. They are being mounted on 2k2 SE six spoke wheels. Right now I've got a set of 45 profile tires sitting in my checkout cart. I cant see any reason not to purchase these. They've gotten great reviews on TireRack.

My main concern this time around is Treadwear, and Price. I do alot of driving, 20k+/yr. I cant afford to buy new tires every 6 months. (I'm looking at you Falken 512's). I've seen a lot of people praising the Toyo Proxes 4. But I'm not sure if they're gonna last awhile. They seem to be more performance oriented. Which is fine, but unfortunatly I've gotta make the responsible choice of durability over performance. So does anyone have any other suggestions? NO FALKEN 512's!!! Again treadwear and price take priority over performance. Price is preferably under $100. Thanks alot guys.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:48 PM

I understand these are very good tires. I am in the market for tires soon, but these won't fit my wheels.

Do you need all season or can you go with summer tires? Apparently summer tires are better in wet conditions. I wouldn't think ice and snow is too often a concern in NC, but believe it can be from time to time.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by rmurdoch
I understand these are very good tires. I am in the market for tires soon, but these won't fit my wheels.

Do you need all season or can you go with summer tires? Apparently summer tires are better in wet conditions. I wouldn't think ice and snow is too often a concern in NC, but believe it can be from time to time.

I'd like all seasons. Your correct that snow and ice arent too prevalent here in Charlotte. But we usually get hit by an ice storm about twice a winter or so. So nothing terribly serious. But I got stuck in some bad weather about 2 winters ago with summer tires. That wasnt very fun at all. Arent most summer tires geared towards performance, more so than longevity? Hence only being used for half the year? Thats just my experience with them.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:24 PM

I say go for it. I got a set of AVON zz1 UHP Tires on and they are very good. I got lucky on this set of Avon tires. They are sold in the UK market. After my Avon zz1 wear out I will go with set of AVON M500's.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:49 PM

I am restricted in choice because I intend to put new tires on my OEM 15" sawblades. I can get another 5 or 6K out of my OEM Goodyear Eagles RSAs that everyone flames. I have to give them credit - they wear like iron and presently have 58K on them.

I plan on getting either the BF Goodrich Traction TAs or Yokohama Avid H4S both rated for 60K.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:10 PM

If it's not too late, look into the Kumho Ecsta ASXs. They are available in 225/50R17 in that price range and by all reports here, it's a good alternative.

p.s. Smart man not wasting your time and money on the 512s. The worst tire mistake I ever made.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:29 AM

I say go for the Avons. I just put a set of 225/45 18s on my 01 AE and so far I am quite impressed. I've only put about 500 miles on them so far, but they seem to do quite well in rain, very sticky and responsive in the dry and I am totally stunned by how quiet they are. Can't comment on tread wear yet, but they also look really good as I have them on a set of 18X8 HP R5s. The only thing I have noticed is that I do feel bumps a bit more (which was expected going from 17" stocks to 18"), but the car also seems to skip to the side a bit over bumps - I've got to investigate this a little further.

BTW - I've got the Falken 512s on my OEM 17" rims that are now for winter use. I classified them as a very good tire for the $$ (and I still believe that), but these Avons have definitely made me recognize some of their faults..