Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Kumho Vs. BFG

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 06:26 PM

Kumho Vs. BFG

I am debating whether to get Kumho Ecsta Supra 712s or BF Goodrich G-Force T/A KDWs. The BFGs are gonna run me $200 more. Does anybody have experience with either of these tires?? Do you think it's worth the extra $$$ for the BFGs? Are the Kumhos good tires? Let me know anything you know about both tires. Thanks guys.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:06 PM

i got kumho ecsta mx and i love them. The grim on those tires is srazy. recomend. hope this helps
Old 05-13-2005, 05:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had a set of the Kumho ecstas the handled well but tire wear was bad and they were very loud.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:42 AM

i read the new kdws are loud, but that tread pattern is sweet. i read though somewhere that a guy said his kdws were not loud. im sure the kuhmos are one of the best bang for buck tire......what are you gonna need 200 tires for? autox or jsut daily driving, because you gotta weigh those options too my man.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:10 AM

Kumhos are exellent.

Hey yes I got Kumho Supra Ecsta 712a on my max. Very exellent tires, didn't have any problems so far, good performance, realy quiet, and ect.
BTW I wouldn't get BFG, the brand it's self if not as good as Kumhos, that's what I heard. I've seen lot's of people with fast cars like Supras and etc. with Kumho 712s, and no wonder why. Defenately go with Kumhos.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Then you heard a lie, BFG are excelent tires, and the replaced the old KDWs
Old 05-13-2005, 12:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have 245-40 Zr18 KDW-2 (new tread) on 04 350Z rims on my 00 max. They are quiet tires and the traction is incredible. I asked my neighbor who works for a performace shop in Atl which they sold more of and which he liked before I bought mine. He said that more Kumho's are sold, but that they continously get complaints about noise and treadwear on them. The KDWs are a much better tire if you can afford them.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:24 PM

First you have to ask your self what you want, then you can decide on which one. In my opinion the BFG KDW-2 are a great tire, and the tread on those things are sick! If you think about it, if high HP 350z (500+hp) buy them for their cars they have to be good for traction. THis is why I bought them cause they have the ablitiy to put the power to the ground. Just my .02
Old 05-13-2005, 05:16 PM
Isn't that a girl's name?

not even a match. bfg all day. kumho for all those that haven't realized yet, are garbage when it comes to performing. you get what you pay for.

i have wanli tires on my summer wheels, but i only use those rims for 5000 miles a year and they are big heavy chromies. i bought them because they were cheap and i wasnt looking to get a lot out of them when it came to handling. they are on par with kumho or hankook.

now on my supra, ive got drag radials in the rear and bfg comp t/a kdw in front. great grip, solid in slick conditions and not loud on the highway.

it just depends what you're after. if you want to skate by with a cheap set of rubbers and spend the money elsewhere get the kumho. but if you want a quality tire from a company cemented in the industry- go bfg, michelin, yokohama, etc.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:36 PM

I'm not a big fan of the Kumho 712 ..... however I have had a few sets of their tires.... no problems.... as far as the BFG .... Tirerack tested the Kumho MX vs the BFG KD and they were within 1/10 of a sec from each other... the BFG had a slight edge in the dry and the MX in the wet ... I had MXs on my Z last season and won the Solo II championship for CFR west coast (SCCA) in my class E street prepared .... if you go to any Solo II event.... you will find tons of Kumhos on the fast cars.... it's been at least 2 yrs since I saw BFGs on anything fast..... don't get me wrong the BFG is a quality tire.... and if I had to pick between the 712 and KDW ....I would go BFG .... I would recommend checking out Kumhos newest tire SPT KU31 ... it is the tire that will replace the 712
Old 05-15-2005, 08:23 AM

Good thread.

I've got the Kumho's now in 235/45/17.
I have progress springs and illuminas + a front & rear stb.

The Kumhos are a great bang for the buck performance tire.
If I was auto-xing, these would be IT.
However, daily driving is not the strong point.

I've been on mine for approx 17k miles, and they are starting to get noisy, and the tread is starting to wear faster towards the end of life.
My biggest complaint is that these tires are hard to keep balanced properly, and the sidewalls are REALLY stiff and transmit bumps directly to the frame.

As always, you get what you pay for.
I couldn't spend $200+ per tire for hi-perf rubber like Michelin, since they are not proven to be ANY better than the cheapos like Kumho....especially when you're just burning them off on a track.

I am SERIOUSLY looking at the BFG's for my next tire, and I MAY go back to stock size as well....dunno yet.
I'm definitely going to get a WR rated tire to reduce the roughness of my already firm suspension.

Again - you get what you pay for.

gr