Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Never Ending Rim/Tire Related Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 08:58 PM

Never Ending Rim/Tire Related Questions

Hello Fella's. So I'm at a bit of a cross roads. I've been pondering rims for my 2k Black Maxima for a while now. Originally I planned on chome 18's or 19's and after visiting some friends in LA And seeing how popular (and attractive) black rims can be with a polished lip. I've decided on that. 18's seemed to be the best bang for the buck (I've got 16's GLE Factory). And I dont really plan to lower my car or change out the springs .

I think I've found a set I can be happy with, below are a few pictures. the first of 2 questions I have is, can these be beat? I know there is alot of different opinions, these I can get off e-bay for around 620 so thats what has to be beat. They are 18x7.5 (Same width as my factory wheels).

I think they look pretty sharp.

Now my main question, is tires. I want a reasonably quality tire (Brand doesnt matter) for summer wear and tear. And on the cheap. I really didnt want to spend over 1200 for my setup, not sure why I picked that price but it seems fair for 18's/w tires. I'm sure many of you have spent 2000 or more on crazy setups and I love to look at them. But in all reality its not worth it for me to go that extreme. I'm looking for something more suddle that isnt going to attrack the cops more then need be.

Anyway back to tires. I dont race, I do casual driving. Occasional I'll gun it from maybe 0-60 but thats fairly rare. You wont catch me doing over 90 (and that's rare) and I'm looking for summer only that can handle rain. Any recommendations? I've seen a variety of tires on e-bay but I'm trying to go local so I can get the free life time rotations and road side hazard incase the worst happends. 18x7.5 is the wheel size. I've read I should go with 225/40/18, one place I called to get a price recommended I go with 235, to add a little extra rubber buffer and so it wont throw off my speedometer as much, but a friend said it was a gimmick to sell that so they can then charge me to re-align my car. Any suggestions on width?

A few of the tires I'm considering are (PLEASE help me out here)
Hankook Ventus HRII H405 (Can get them for around 500 bundled with e-bay rims)
Kumho 711 Ecsta (Again an alternative on e-bay rims)
And then from a local Discount Tire I priced out a set of Falken Azenis ST115 that wouldnt put me over to much. SO those are the 3 tires I've considered so far. Again, summer tires, nothing extreme just reliable.

Thanks fella's sorry about the length post but I'm sure most people have gone through this a million times and it always helps to have some feedback.

I'm always looking for cheaper/better hookups/deals.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:07 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Justin, these wheels aren't bad looking and may be a good option for the budget you've listed. Check out some of the Falken tires as well, there may be a good option there for you as well.

Side note - I'm also in Westerville, between Sunbury Rd and 161 in Strawberry Farms. We'll have to meet up sometime.
-Tim
Old 05-17-2005, 09:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

This thread may get moved to the Wheels and Tires forum:

http://forums.maxima.org/forumdisplay.php?f=71

Have ya tried looking there for answers? I'm sure that you'll find at least a couple helpful threads. Check it out.

One more thing, I have to honestly say that if you get bigger rims w/o a drop, its gonna look weird. The wheel gap will be magnified in most cases. Since it seems that you're only doing this for looks, I'd advise you to strongly consider dropping the car first, because, IMO that in itself will make your ride look so much better.

I do like those rims though... could ya find any with no rivets? Then again, you probably like that.

All the best with everything....
Old 05-17-2005, 09:12 PM

If i were interested in rims right now, I'd get these:

Just thought I'd share...
Old 05-18-2005, 09:01 AM

hey puppet....as a matter of fact i ordered those beautiful OR52's last week should be here sometime this week and installed by sat. I'll post pics when they get onn

Old 05-18-2005, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by EdgeX
hey puppet....as a matter of fact i ordered those beautiful OR52's last week should be here sometime this week and installed by sat. I'll post pics when they get onn

Lucky bastage...

Shoot me a PM when ya get pics man, I wanna see em...
Old 05-18-2005, 11:07 AM
I miss the .org!

Not too bad, but I'd go with something wider. So that would rule out those Motegis and that Enkei posted above...
Old 05-18-2005, 11:49 AM

JustinMKN

You sure the stock size is 7.5" wide.?..I thought the stock wheel width was 7"

Peter T
Old 05-18-2005, 01:33 PM

Triple8, the enkei's come in 8.5 too, but i didnt want something that wide, i know im in the minority on that.

Puppet, yea when they get on, I gotta take a lot of pics, I've done alot since I got her in february so the pics on my cardomain (id edgex) arent up to date