Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

16" or 17" for winter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 07:07 AM
CCx

16" or 17" for winter?

I'm wondering if there is any advantage to getting a set of 16" steelies with winter tires, or just getting tires to put on the stock 17" SE wheels I already have? (pretty sure the 17" tire size is 225/50/17 correct me if i'm wrong please) I don't mind having to store an extra set of wheels, I just want to make sure that in the event of snow I have the best possible option on my car. I dont know if it matters, but I live in Philly which is basically feast or famine in terms of snowfall, and I've always managed to get by with all-season tires but wanted to try and do it right this year (instead of leaving work at the first snowflake, staying home in 6 inches of snow, etc.).

Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 10-08-2005, 04:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm in the same boat but I think I'm gonna get a set of Dunlop WinterSport M3's for my stock wheels and next summer I'll be getting summer wheel and tires....

I don't want hubcaps...
Old 10-08-2005, 04:37 PM

I bought 16" steels ($220 Canadian) and snow tires (Khumo Kw17 215-55-16 for $525 Canadian). The cost of the steel wheels was offset by the difference between 16 and 17 inch snow tires. Also, it is much cheaper to just have the steels and snows installed/ removed than have snows mounted and balanced and then have the all seasons mounted and balanced in the spring.

The Khumo's work great in the snow and aren't too bad on dry pavement.
Old 10-08-2005, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by CCx
I'm wondering if there is any advantage to getting a set of 16" steelies with winter tires, or just getting tires to put on the stock 17" SE wheels I already have? (pretty sure the 17" tire size is 225/50/17 correct me if i'm wrong please) I don't mind having to store an extra set of wheels, I just want to make sure that in the event of snow I have the best possible option on my car. I dont know if it matters, but I live in Philly which is basically feast or famine in terms of snowfall, and I've always managed to get by with all-season tires but wanted to try and do it right this year (instead of leaving work at the first snowflake, staying home in 6 inches of snow, etc.).

Thanks everyone for your help.
Looking at getting a set of 17s for my 02 I35 as well. I never used to ride on winters until two seasons ago and after using them, I wondered why I did not get a set long time ago. Where I live, it made a world of difference riding on winters compared to all seasons.

I photochopped some sixteen steelies on my car and man, call me vain but it did not look good at all. Yah yah, I know its for winter and I could get away with 16 inch steelies with higher profile tires but I don't like the way it looked. Besides I know a couple of tire shops around me that have cheap alloys with the correct offset that would work for my car and I am only spending $200 more versus steelies. Since you already have some summer wheels, use the stock 17s that came with your Max. You may have to spend a little more for the larger winter tires but at least you would not have three sets of wheels to deal with.

However, keep in mind that replacing OEM stock wheels if you damage them can be pricey unless you buy a replacement off of ebay or something.

P. S. May be still looking for set of stock 17 Maxima wheels. Would you be interested in selling them?
Old 10-10-2005, 01:30 PM
CCx

I'm just going to get winter tires for the stock 17's, thanks for the help guys.