Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

will 15 inch wheels clear 2k2 brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 01:29 AM
Need A Light?

will 15 inch wheels clear 2k2 brakes?

So I am thinking of picking up a set of 15 inch wheels (steelies or rims) for my 2k2 max...this is just for daily driving purposes...I want to gain a comfortable ride from the taller sidewall, and possibly gain extra fuel economy from the - 2 inch wheel diameter and -10lbs dead weight...

But is it possible to fit over 2k2 brakes? I know someone here who ran Kosei K1 15 inch rims on their 2k2 with no modifications, and no problems....but what about other rims besides Kosei? And what about 15 inch steelies? I want to mention, my mother's 05 camry has 15 inch steel wheels with the same bolt pattern as our maximas...will test fitting them on my maxima guarantee that other 15 inch WHEELS/RIMS will fit on my car?

Any input on this subject will be greatly appreciated
Old 05-05-2007, 01:35 AM

i don't think soo.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:13 AM
Very sound, Mike

Originally Posted by steven88
So I am thinking of picking up a set of 15 inch wheels (steelies or rims) for my 2k2 max...this is just for daily driving purposes...I want to gain a comfortable ride from the taller sidewall, and possibly gain extra fuel economy from the - 2 inch wheel diameter and -10lbs dead weight...

But is it possible to fit over 2k2 brakes? I know someone here who ran Kosei K1 15 inch rims on their 2k2 with no modifications, and no problems....but what about other rims besides Kosei? And what about 15 inch steelies? I want to mention, my mother's 05 camry has 15 inch steel wheels with the same bolt pattern as our maximas...will test fitting them on my maxima guarantee that other 15 inch WHEELS/RIMS will fit on my car?

Any input on this subject will be greatly appreciated
If you go for 15" rims, that only means you'll have to get taller tires to compensate, this assures your speedo is still accurate - effectively keeping your overall height the same as your existing setup.

Unless you have the dealership recalibrate your speedo, your idea of smaller rims and shorter tires will just throw off your speedo by quite a big margin.

Since the tires are also larger, it means you have more weight around the outer edge, my unscientific guess is you'll also have effectively the same weight to turn -- possibly more.

Between Camry and Maxima, hard to tell. There are too many factors involved (e.g. Size of rotors, size and design of the calipers, design of the wheels itself, etc.)

If you ask me, you're better off getting lightweight 17" rims. They'll all clear your brakes and you can save some by using the same tires on your OEM setup.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:20 PM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by soundmike
If you go for 15" rims, that only means you'll have to get taller tires to compensate, this assures your speedo is still accurate - effectively keeping your overall height the same as your existing setup.

Unless you have the dealership recalibrate your speedo, your idea of smaller rims and shorter tires will just throw off your speedo by quite a big margin.

Since the tires are also larger, it means you have more weight around the outer edge, my unscientific guess is you'll also have effectively the same weight to turn -- possibly more.

Between Camry and Maxima, hard to tell. There are too many factors involved (e.g. Size of rotors, size and design of the calipers, design of the wheels itself, etc.)

If you ask me, you're better off getting lightweight 17" rims. They'll all clear your brakes and you can save some by using the same tires on your OEM setup.
thanks for the input...I already realize the speedo will be off...I used the miata tire calculator to check how off they will be...and its not even 1% off...at 60mph on the speedo, I will actually be traveling 59.5mph...so theres no harm done there

well the tires I plan to get weigh only 22lbs...my current 225/50/17 falken 512s weigh 23lbs...but my 2k2 rims weigh like 24lbs with a total rim/tire weight of 48lbs....the current 15 inch tire/rim setup I am looking at weighs a total of 38lbs...are you sure it's more stress on my maxima with all that weight being lost? and two inches smaller rim diameter?

I'll give it a shot with the camry...I can't lose either way since its real easy to swap rims....aren't steel rims all the same though? I mean TO ME, they look all the same...it's just every manufacture slap on a hub cap to make them look different...I do realize they also have different bolt pattern, different size diameter, and different center bore size....but I mean generally speaking, the "design" of the spokes of the steel wheel, they all look the same to me
Old 05-05-2007, 05:11 PM
Need A Light?

I tried my 05 camry's 15 inch steelies earlier...and it wouldn't clear the caliper...I guess steel wheels are out of the picture..
Old 05-08-2007, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by steven88
I tried my 05 camry's 15 inch steelies earlier...and it wouldn't clear the caliper...I guess steel wheels are out of the picture..

I searched and searched, and the only thing I found was the Kosei K1s. And I bought the last set from tire rack as far as I know. looks like if you really want 15s youre gonna have to become friends with a grinding wheel.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:22 AM

Actually I just checked and it looks like they have them back in stock. Though you have to look under 4th gen search terms. i.e. 1996 maxima GXE
Old 05-08-2007, 06:16 PM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by GabWood
Actually I just checked and it looks like they have them back in stock. Though you have to look under 4th gen search terms. i.e. 1996 maxima GXE
thanks, what color kosei do you have? I'm having trouble buying the silver...I think I have to call them to place the order...but the white ones I can order online
Old 05-08-2007, 10:04 PM

Yeah I got the white. they're for my slicks so I could care less about the color.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:08 PM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by GabWood
Yeah I got the white. they're for my slicks so I could care less about the color.
i see...everytime I order the silvers with tires, it keeps saying theres an error...but if I order them by itself, it allows me to place the order...I really want the silvers over the whites...since silver matches my color

the whites I can order without any problems...