Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Any experience with kumho ecsta SPT's?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 06:55 PM

Any experience with kumho ecsta SPT's?

after doing quite a bit of research on tires, right now i'm planning on getting the
225/45/r17 kumho escta SPT's pretty soon. anyone have experience w/ these?
i'm mainly concerned about dry traction and treadwear.

my other choices would of been:
BFgoodrich g-force sport
Yokohama s-drive
kumho ecsta MX
General Exclaim UHP

decided not on getting BF and yoko cause of the price, just looking at the MX's seem like they would have a low treadwear, and completely staying away from the generals now despite the good reviews on tirerack.
friend of mine w/ a jetta just got the UHP's for his jetta (225/50/r16) and complained that the tires were really,really slushy. sidewalls were way too soft for his preference and that is def something i don't want when it comes to auto-crossing.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by G4nismo
after doing quite a bit of research on tires, right now i'm planning on getting the
225/45/r17 kumho escta SPT's pretty soon. anyone have experience w/ these?
i'm mainly concerned about dry traction and treadwear.

my other choices would of been:
BFgoodrich g-force sport
Yokohama s-drive
kumho ecsta MX
General Exclaim UHP

decided not on getting BF and yoko cause of the price, just looking at the MX's seem like they would have a low treadwear, and completely staying away from the generals now despite the good reviews on tirerack.
friend of mine w/ a jetta just got the UHP's for his jetta (225/50/r16) and complained that the tires were really,really slushy. sidewalls were way too soft for his preference and that is def something i don't want when it comes to auto-crossing.
Well, i have SPTs in the back of my car, and they never hydroplaned so far... On the other hand the ASXs i have on the front, they suck in wet conditions.. Took a turn a little quick, and my tires locked and i went sliding, and regained right before i came off the road :P
Old 07-12-2008, 09:21 PM

Check out http://www.edgeracing.com/
They have some good deals.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:58 PM
Still chugging along...

I have Exclauim UHP on my Maxima and I like them but I don't Auto X. For my G37 I want the Yoko S-Drives but they are not available anywhere in the size I need. I'm going to try out the SPT's instead. I too am looking for treadwear and dry traction as well. It wont be in a Maxima, but I'll be able to give you an impression in a few weeks. Planning to get them on tomorrow.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by White Shadow
I have Exclauim UHP on my Maxima and I like them but I don't Auto X. For my G37 I want the Yoko S-Drives but they are not available anywhere in the size I need. I'm going to try out the SPT's instead. I too am looking for treadwear and dry traction as well. It wont be in a Maxima, but I'll be able to give you an impression in a few weeks. Planning to get them on tomorrow.
alright, please do.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:22 PM

I love my SPTs. Treadwear is great. I think I got like 10k+ miles on them and the Escta on the tread is still showing. You can hear the road noise a little bit but nothing obnoxious IMO. Nothing a little volume **** cant fix Grip is great wet or dry. I did hydroplane like twice due to water puddles in the left lane but overall performance was good. I dont think they are sticky enough for auto-x use though.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:16 AM

^ I don't say this much (unless it's in jest) but your car looks fawking badass.

Anyway I'm not sure how great of a sidewall you can get with a budget A/S tire like the SPT, but FWIW they're the model of tire that Kumho decided to make in colored smoke variety... I'd say they're worth a try, really tire evaluations are completely subjective and depend entirely on what you had on the car immediately prior to the new set. I've got a set of Falken ZE912s and they seem to grip well in addition to lasting surprisingly long, so give them a gander as well if you're looking for other suggestions.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:49 AM

yeh ihavea2k, your car does look badass. i'm glad you like those tires. i'm def getting those then

Originally Posted by MorpheusZero
^ I don't say this much (unless it's in jest) but your car looks fawking badass.

Anyway I'm not sure how great of a sidewall you can get with a budget A/S tire like the SPT, but FWIW they're the model of tire that Kumho decided to make in colored smoke variety... I'd say they're worth a try, really tire evaluations are completely subjective and depend entirely on what you had on the car immediately prior to the new set. I've got a set of Falken ZE912s and they seem to grip well in addition to lasting surprisingly long, so give them a gander as well if you're looking for other suggestions.
well i would go w/ the more expensive ones like BF or yoko's but i'm on a budget and i think i need a new radiator now so yeh, sure u can understand.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:57 AM

OFF TOPIC,

i put my stockers (15 steelies) on for a while, like 1.5 months i say cause my tires on the 17's are worn like hell. i know the front tires are prone to more wear and tear b/c of the load, turning stress bla bla but i really think there wearing out faster than they should be. could the coilovers be a factor to losing tread faster?

i had an alignment check and the shop adjusted the toe and i think front camber is near the 0.5 area.
fronts

rears:

i have auto-crossed once on these tires so maybeeee that could be why for the fast wear up front but dunno.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:18 AM

Thanks for the compliments.
SPTs are great budget summer tires. I donno how mushy sidewalls feel like, but I'm pleased with them. I have set a very slight camber but my SPTs are wearing nice and evenly as far as my naked eye can tell. I dont do crazy much stuffs except occasional hard cornering.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by IHAVEA2KMAXIMA
Thanks for the compliments.
SPTs are great budget summer tires. I donno how mushy sidewalls feel like, but I'm pleased with them. I have set a very slight camber but my SPTs are wearing nice and evenly as far as my naked eye can tell. I dont do crazy much stuffs except occasional hard cornering.
how long have you had those on for time wise?
and coilovers shouldn't effect tire wear right?
Old 07-14-2008, 11:20 AM

I dont know exactly when I purchased them until I go home and look at the receipt. But give or take, it's about a year or so now. I'm sure any kind of suspension work would affect the tire wear, and you need alignment to correct it, but strangely slight camber didn't really affect the inner+outer wear.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:15 PM

ok, well i had my crappy escta AST's for about a year running prob around -1.5ish front camber at the time and auto crossed once a month for about 3 or 4 months. also, i stupidly didn't get an alignment done after i adjusted the camber plate so w/ all that in factor, thats prob why there bald as hell right now. bad front end toe effected my inner tire wear but i got that resolved after i did an alignment few weeks ago.

i guess i'm just hoping for 2+ years of use for the SPT's when i get them with occasional auto-crossing. my parents just couldn't believe me when i told them i need new tires for the 17's cause its barely been a year. of course i didn't tell them i been racing and what not...
Old 08-05-2008, 12:46 AM

I used to use the Kumho SPTs on my 15s and they were awesome. They aren't anywhere near the best tires but they are a huge bang for the buck. They aren't expensive but perform very well for their price, i moved up to 19s now that are wrapped in Falkens FK452s which are worth every penny.