Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Looking for Proxes4 Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 02:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Looking for Proxes4 Replacement

So I've had the toyos on my car now for about 50-55k miles and I have to say they've held up well. I am just getting to the legal wear limit. I could even push these tires another season but honestly as these tires wear they get noisy.. And the noise is wearing on me a bit, not to mention I have a bad wheel bearing on top of that.. so You can see why I feel like doing this after too long of a trip

Everything about the Proxes is acceptable or better than I need except for the noise. I dont need quite as much summer performance as the proxes offer (but keeping it would be nice) I like the price of the proxes, I like the wet and snow traction. Its really just the noise thats bothering me. I know they'll be quieter when I get a new set but I remember going from OEM to the proxes even the first day saying.. these do make a good bit more noise (but I didnt care then)

I'de like to spend under 150$ a tire if I can, but I know how tough that is with the 225/50/17 or 235/45/17 sized tires.

So far I know the Pilot Sport A/S are great and very quiet and the Yokohama Advan S4 looks good too but both are more like 175$ a tire and having gotten my Proxes for under 500 shipped originally makes me wonder how much a little less noise is really worth to me.

Let me know what you think. I live in mass so I need to be able to get around in the snow from time to time.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:41 PM

Check out the General Exclaim UHP or Pirelli P Zero Nero MS. I had Pilot Sport A/S and loved them, quitest tire ive ever ridden on, even when they were severly worn, they were still quiet.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:52 PM

Check out the ZE912. It's not great in snow but it's a good, cheap AS tire with decent grip and it was pretty quiet when I was running it.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by MorpheusZero
Check out the ZE912. It's not great in snow but it's a good, cheap AS tire with decent grip and it was pretty quiet when I was running it.
Looks good but I dont know if I'de be able to get away with them in the winter.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by sciff5
Looks good but I dont know if I'de be able to get away with them in the winter.
Snow performance is iffy but it's probably about as iffy as the proxes 4, especially worn down proxes 4s.

If you want some real tires check out the RE960A/S and Pilot Sport A/S, but those are probably out of your price range at about $160-170 per tire.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by MorpheusZero
Snow performance is iffy but it's probably about as iffy as the proxes 4, especially worn down proxes 4s.

If you want some real tires check out the RE960A/S and Pilot Sport A/S, but those are probably out of your price range at about $160-170 per tire.

yeah i know..to get eveything you want out of a tire you gotta spend some coin how bout those avon tech 550s. i was looking at them originally when i looked at the proxes and they seem pretty similar but dont know how noisy they are
Old 11-09-2008, 02:01 PM

Dude discounttiredirect.com rocks. Thats where I got my proxe4s last time.

But usually michelin PS A/S are usually lke 165$ but at discount tire direc they are 135$ with free shipping. I love this website.

550 shipped with new valvestems from discounttire direct. I think I found my answer

Last edited by sciff5; 11-09-2008 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:59 PM

Just ordered 4 235/45/17 Michellin Pilot Sport A/S for 480 shipped from discounttiredirect.com

I think I have a mental block where I cant spend more than 500$ on tires.

I even get the valvestems for 12$ to bring it to 492$ total.

You cant beat that for a tire that used to cost close to 200$/tire
Old 11-25-2008, 02:51 PM

How do you like your new tires?

Currently I have the Proxes 4s but need to change them soon as well. I like the traction and feel that they offer on dry and wet roads. However I don't really think they are that noisy.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by paulsfds
How do you like your new tires?

Currently I have the Proxes 4s but need to change them soon as well. I like the traction and feel that they offer on dry and wet roads. However I don't really think they are that noisy.
They are supposed to be here tomorrow, hopefully I'll put em on the car tomorrow and I can report back, I also need to do a wheel bearing and get an alignment so I'm gonna be busy
Old 12-07-2008, 09:16 PM

I was going to say conticontact extremes for price and snow traction....but you got a great deal on a better set of tires.

Let us know how they roll!

gr
Old 12-10-2008, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider17
I was going to say conticontact extremes for price and snow traction....but you got a great deal on a better set of tires.

Let us know how they roll!

gr
OMG, finally got the tires on today at the dealership and havent even driven home yet but I just drove the car from the service bay 20 ft to park it and its already night and day difference. My god I swear everyone those proxes were driving me insane. I still havent even replaced the wheel bearing yet and theres already that noticible of a difference. I am going to do the wheel bearing tomorrow.

My project car has straight pipes and glass packs and even though everyone says its obnoxiously loud it doesnt annoy me anywhere near as bad as the roadnoise from those Proxe 4s. That should give you an idea of how bad it was

That being said even highly worn I could stil boogy better in the corners than most tires with a performance label could dream of, they lasted about 60k by the time I got them off, they were evenly worn, and even though I've gone through the big dig and had the car literally airborne because of the ssize of some of the potholes around here, there was only one bubble in them.

The michellins went on very easily, the tech mounting them said he needed 0 grams of weight to balance 2 of the wheels and only about 5/10 grams on the other wheels... and he says thats good for even michelins which are typically very easy to balance. He also didnt seem to be struggling with them to get them on, the sidewall looked pretty soft, and I can already tell these will ride softer than the proxes, so I wouldent be surprised if I actually gave up some performance. Thats fine though, like I said before I need some peace and quiet especially if I relocate to a job thats much further away.

I am going to drive home in another hour (but not directly home of course) gotta test these puppies out a little, I hear they are good in rain and its pouring out. I will also see if I can get a little handling test in there.

After doing some of my own testing I am gonna bring my GF for a ride and not tell her I put new tires on it and see if she notices the difference. She didnt even notice when I put Eibachs/Illuminas on the car going from stock, so if she notices the difference in noise level, that will truly show how big of an improvement these michellins are.

Last edited by sciff5; 12-10-2008 at 04:14 PM.