Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Got me some new shoes

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 09:46 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Got me some new shoes

Falken ZE-912Bs. I normally buy my tires at Discount Tire but Sears had them buy 3, get one free, which worked out to less than Discount Tire's price, plus the certificates (road hazard) are $4 less each at Sears. Not to mention that when I drive east of Texas, no more Discount Tire stores should I have a problem. I can find a Sears pretty much anywhere.

Now on to the tires. I had Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 in front and Yokohama 520s in the back. The Michelins replaced the 520s that were in front when I got the car at about 27,000 miles. They were recommended to me at Discount Tire as tires that grip well and would reduce wheelspin. Maybe for the first 2000-3000 miles, yeah. As the tires wore, wheelspin got worse and I try hard NOT to spin the tires. Ended up only getting 15,000 miles out of them before the tread depth was 2/32 to 3/32 across both front tires. I don't have limited slip so the even tire wear on both sides is an indication I was not running around spinning the tires all the time. The Yokohamas in the rear had at least the 29,000 miles I had put on them and they were at 4/32 depth.

Reading online the other night, I saw that I was not the only one to have wheelspin and excessive wear complaints with the Michelins. Looking around Discount Tire's site, I saw a lot of positive reviews for the Falken ZE-912s, the only negative being poor snow/ice traction which is rarely an issue here in the Dallas area. In addition, Falken has a 40,000 mile treadwear guarantee, unlike the much more expensive ($165 vs $114 at Discount) Michelins.

My first impression is the Falkens are very quiet. Really noticable at freeway speeds, now I know for sure I need to do the rear window wind noise fix since there is now no tire roar to cover the sound. The ride is also very good, definitely more cushy on good road surfaces. I did notice some tread squirm though a turn tonight (about 20-25 over) that hopefully goes away as i get a little more miles on them-only have about 115 right now. Treadwear is rated at 360, traction AA and temperature A.

Since these are all season tires, I don't expect them to slalom like a dedicated high performance summer tire but I don't typically drive that hard regularly anyway. I drive 25,000 or so miles a year so having a quiet, comfortable tire with decent treadwear is more important.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:51 PM

discount they do price match and if you have an issues they will ship a set to you..or have you talk to the online sales guy and set you another set or tire..they are pretty good
Old 01-06-2009, 10:05 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by Double0Max
discount they do price match and if you have an issues they will ship a set to you..or have you talk to the online sales guy and set you another set or tire..they are pretty good
Last year on the way to Kentucky, I hit a driveshaft laying in the middle of the left lane of I-30 in Arkansas, which took out the left front wheel and tire. Wasn't really in a position to wait on a new tire to be shipped to me. Never had any problems with Discount Tire but when I travel east, there aren't any that I can go to if there is an issue with a tire. You can find Sears pretty much anywhere.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:57 AM
BARF

Discount Tire also goes by the name Americas Tire and they are nation wide. Just thought I would let you know that.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:37 AM
Turbo'd Saab

And here I thought Scott gave in and put some nice 22's on his max
Old 01-07-2009, 07:25 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by DaveVQ
And here I thought Scott gave in and put some nice 22's on his max
Yeah, I bought the car to go slow.

I ever get different wheels, they will the lightest and easiest to clean 17 x 8 wheels I can find.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:37 PM

I have these tires, bought them in October of 2007. They are quiet, quite grippy, and are wearing nicely. Definitely a great tire for the money.

Although (and I really don't wanna jinx you!), these tires have attracted more nails/shrapnel than any other tire I've had. I've had 3 flats (2 fully replaced) since I bought them. I've never had this many issues with tires.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:14 PM

I had the old version of those tires (ze512s) on my Celica and know what you mean about the squirm. I found it very unsettling and not confidence inspiring at all. Playing with air pressure helped a little but not enuff to make me ever want to but them again.

Great treadwear however.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:29 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by Revs2Hard
Discount Tire also goes by the name Americas Tire and they are nation wide. Just thought I would let you know that.
Do they honor the Discount Tire warranty certificates?

Jason-the only time I've had problems with nail in tires are when we have hail during spring thunderstorms. For a few months after that, there are roofing nails everywhere. I had a real problem with the Yokohama 520s and road debris when I had my 626. Lost three tires total, one was from glass laying in the street that took out the sidewall. I really can't blame the tires, there was just a lot of crap in the streets during the start of the construction of the new Cowboy's stadium here in Arlington.

PulsarGTS-I didn't notice any problems today, could have been due to the newness of the tires.

Definitely going to pay attention for it though.

It was nice today driving on a stretch of the freeway that has really coarse concrete. The Michelins and Yokohamas were incredibly loud in that area. I'd say the Falkens have cut the noise in half, really nice change. Usually I have to turn my stereo up to compensate.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:42 PM

I've thought about the 912's for my next tire purchase, but the 912's don't have the rim protection like the older style 512's. But I have heard great reviews on the 912's. I'd rather have the rim protector. But that's just me.

Good luck with them.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:57 AM

I like you reading your threads Scott, here and Autopia. Just thought i'd comment.

Edit: Just bought some Murano rims, never bought a set a tires before, but looking at the Sears website, they have differen ZE912's...how do you tell the difference? Like ZE-912B's

Last edited by shadyonedeath; 01-09-2009 at 01:01 AM.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:48 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by shadyonedeath
I like you reading your threads Scott, here and Autopia. Just thought i'd comment.

Edit: Just bought some Murano rims, never bought a set a tires before, but looking at the Sears website, they have differen ZE912's...how do you tell the difference? Like ZE-912B's
I don't know what the difference is.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:39 PM

I have a set of 912's as well. I noticed the tire squirm when the tires were new, but adding some air and putting some miles on the tires has helped. Snow traction is not good, but these are only all seasons. Basically I'm just confirming everything that's already been said
Old 01-12-2009, 12:56 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by BWa1k
I have a set of 912's as well. I noticed the tire squirm when the tires were new, but adding some air and putting some miles on the tires has helped.
I've noticed that too. Went through the same curve today and it stuck like glue. In addition, I can go 2-3 mph faster through cloverleaf offramps without hearing any tire squeal than I could with the Michelin/Yoko combo. Off the line traction still sucks if you get on it hard though. Probably need drag radials to help that though.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:47 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

I was reading some of my Dad's Consumer Reports and the Falken 912s are their highest rated all season UHP (ultra high performance) tires. The Michelin Pilot HX MXM4s were their highest rated all season performance tire. What is odd is that the tread life on the Michelins are rated above average while the Falkens were below average...yet the Falkens have a 40,000 mile treadwear guarantee and the Michelins don't have one at all. Go figure.