4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I drove car at flat tire for 5 miles

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 06:33 AM

I drove car at flat tire for 5 miles

It seem to work. I was at bar at 11:30pm and it was rain. I spot rear tire was almost all flat. I decide to drive home for 5 miles. Tire do not look damaged, we will see. I had some smoke from that area when I stop at home. It look to me that some pressure is there in tire. I try to measure it but needle didn't move at all.
Attached Thumbnails I drove car at flat tire for 5 miles-p1010846.jpg  
Old 10-07-2016, 08:48 AM
JvG

Originally Posted by bbsitum
It seem to work. I was at bar at 11:30pm and it was rain. I spot rear tire was almost all flat. I decide to drive home for 5 miles. Tire do not look damaged, we will see. I had some smoke from that area when I stop at home. It look to me that some pressure is there in tire. I try to measure it but needle didn't move at all.
Five miles .... your tire is certainly ruined, probably your wheel as well.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by JvG
And it is Michelin tire like new from junkyard. In one month since I decided to sell this car had 2 flat tires, had to replace brake rotors and camshaft position sensor.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by JvG
Absolutely on the tire ...
Old 10-07-2016, 01:56 PM

Well it wasn't exactly best idea. You can see tire have some strip at side wall. What make me sad tire was good. Someone flat it at parking in front of bar for some reason. It work for now but is not like new any more.
Attached Thumbnails I drove car at flat tire for 5 miles-p1010847.jpg  
Old 10-07-2016, 05:36 PM
JvG

Well it wasn't exactly best idea. You can see tire have some strip at side wall. What make me sad tire was good. Someone flat it at parking in front of bar for some reason. It work for now but is not like new any more.
Your tire might hold air, but has been badly damaged. It could have a blow out at any time. Have you had a tire shop look at this? Yes, they want to sell you a tire you probaby need to replace.

Your life and those of others are at stake.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by JvG
Your tire might hold air, but has been badly damaged. It could have a blow out at any time. Have you had a tire shop look at this? Yes, they want to sell you a tire you probaby need to replace.

Your life and those of others are at stake.
Not bro. My life is not at stake for blowing tire. I actually drive tire until blow out. Especially rear one can not do nothing to me.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:16 PM

Is that an i30 wheel on maxima?

I personally don't mess with junkyard tires. Even if the tires look new, they can be old (over 6 or 7 years) and have internal deteriation. You can look it up and tell by the sidewall numbers. I bought junkyard tires that were considered old and therefore unsafe for driving. But I always go with new...and so far been thru 3 sets of new tires and they're by far the most reliable. Also, you can run over a nail while driving and the tire may not flat until you park. Seen that happen more than once.

A rear blowout is worse than a front end blow out. It's like the rear sliding in snow. You can control the front but the rear is different. That's why rear wheel drives suck in snow.

Best case scenario, you have a tire that just needs replaced...but driving on flat is a definite no no.
Old 10-08-2016, 04:49 AM

Not bro. My life is not at stake for blowing tire. I actually drive tire until blow out. Especially rear one can not do nothing to me.
Know anything about tires? ... obviously not.

You've definitely compromised the sidewall flippers, turn-ups and chafers.

More serious is the damage likely caused to the casing plies.

That tire needs to be replaced ... it's broken.

You're driving around with the equivalent to a tie rod having been fixed with a zip-tie.

It'll work for a bit but it will fail and likely at a really bad time.

Replace the tire.

Last edited by Turbobink; 10-08-2016 at 04:52 AM.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:10 AM

man, if that were my max i'd be sad. rust everywhere and no love to the only thing that is between you and the road. you can buy used tires as long as the dot on the sidewall is 5 years or less. i've bought a few and i make sure that there's no repairs, plugs or patches and they're evenly worn.
Old 10-08-2016, 04:17 PM

I guess I'll start a controversy.

To begin, the op's tire wasn't flat, it was rather low on air, i would guess in the 15 pound (1.05 Kg/cm) range. If it had been flat, the rim would have been sitting on the sidewall and would have shredded the tire.

I would fix the puncture, if any, and fill it with air. If there were no sidewall bulges, I'd drive it.
Old 10-09-2016, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
I guess I'll start a controversy.

To begin, the op's tire wasn't flat, it was rather low on air, i would guess in the 15 pound (1.05 Kg/cm) range. If it had been flat, the rim would have been sitting on the sidewall and would have shredded the tire.

I would fix the puncture, if any, and fill it with air. If there were no sidewall bulges, I'd drive it.
Actually I agree with you. Not completely flat. Reason why - it is time consuming for anyone who deflate my tire to get read of last pressure in tire. As pressure get lower it is tougher to deflate tire.
And there is not any puncture in tire. I inflated tire and check with soapy spray, nothing there. 2 1/2 days after inflating tire hold air. Someone deflate my tire at purpose in rain at 11:30 pm. It wasn't there 15 psi. Maybe 5. I tried to check pressure with standard pressure checker needle didn't move at all.
When I stopped in rain in front of my home it was smoke from tire. So it wasn't easy ride for tire. IMO when you can or not drive with flat tire is not exact science. Obviously if is completely flat you can not drive to far but even then I would drive to firs exit from highway for example. I did once - get flat tire at highway and drove to first exit like 2 miles. That was completely flat as tire exploded.

Last edited by bbsitum; 10-09-2016 at 06:25 AM.
Old 10-09-2016, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
There is actually bulge as that black ring sit lower then rest of surface of side wall for 1/2 to 1/4 of ". Will let you know if tire will explode.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:12 AM

you should replace the tire imo, bulge indicates sidewall damage, probably from driving at low psi.
Old 10-09-2016, 07:35 PM

The way I translate his response is that the tire bulge is from it being low on air and the ring he is talking about is a scuff line from the sidewall being in contact with the street. I don't think he is saying it has a "bubble" from layer separation.

But if it is, then the tire is trash.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:58 AM

i know sometimes moneys tight, but safety is the goal here. i know i was forced to do that once many years ago and the tire was def toast when i got it home, even if it looks ok to him i think he should have it checked out at a local tire shop.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:20 PM

I replaced tire and sold car. See you guys at another Infiniti or Acura forum.